So whats up with the job ads in the Maint section?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

So whats up with the job ads in the Maint section?

Post by Pat Richard »

Are things that desperate for this fantastic industry that they now post anywhere an AME might possibly be viewing??? :lol:

Whats funny is the industry is not even back to what it was pre covid.

I love it.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Pat Richard on Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: So whats up with the job ads in the Maint section?

Post by SeptRepair »

I think it is getting desperate. The amount of work that I am hearing is available right now is incredible. Problem is companies will not increase the wages to a level that would make anyone jump the fence for the greener grass.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Yup, somethings will never change. They'll most likely resort to importing foreign workers like they did years ago. I know personally that the vax mandate hasn't helped either, not to mention all those who bailed over the last 2 years.

I guess it gave an opportunity for many to reflect.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

I have been out of aviation for a few years but check this forum out once in a while to see what’s new. It seems Pat has similar views as me. It must be pretty depressing for those still in the game to see the same companies running the same ads but now getting more and more desperate for talent. Interestingly enough not one posts increases in wages or living conditions and all seem to have the same scheduling that is soul crushing. Why is this happening?

The decline I saw my last few months in the business was an increase in workload, increasing paperwork, increasing lack of talent and stagnant wages. Management sure ballooned though and big corporations took over which Transport sure appreciated.Quite frankly no amount of money would make me comeback to this abusive environment, luckily I didn’t have to experience shift work but once which was enough to make me realize that it was absolutely terrible and unhealthy. I don’t quite know what the next step for aviation is, maybe it’s temporary foreign workers, maybe it’s offshoring all maintenance, maybe Transport Canada( what’s left of it) will slacken the maintenance rules and accept losses?

On the schooling side maybe shorter school curriculum and shorter apprenticeship. Anyways glad I got out when I did. I still see airplanes once in a while and enjoy travel and am glad the business was part of my life but wow I think I experienced it’s hay day as it sure seems to suck even more now if that’s possible.

I wonder if other countries have it better. I know some guys in the states seemed to have it worse. Maybe Europe? With the boomers retiring now or soon but air travel definitely increasing where is the solution? How will the brilliant QA, Maintenance managers, Accountable Executives and all the top heavy executives deal with this? I know it will be entertaining as all hell to watch and I’ll still glance at Avcanada and the news for a good laugh. Maybe even chime in once in a while. I know old school pilots that see the same thing on their side. It will be interesting to watch the spiral dive.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

The decline I saw my last few months in the business was an increase in workload, increasing paperwork, increasing lack of talent and stagnant wages.
Totally agree.

What I found infuriating was the constant increase in my workload due to the shit quality of people brought into supporting(supposedly) departments.

It was like any other dept had a free pass for regular incompetence while I would get blame, either insinuated or actual, for not going the extra mile to make sure they did what I needed. This was a literal instruction from production managers.

When my time spent nearly doubled for what they wanted done for the new paperwork scheme, I billed accordingly. The howls erupted quickly, so I told them to pick one. Either less time wrenching, or additional time billed, but I wasn't doing it for free. As I was on a set daily rate and the only guy at the base, they accepted the billing, but were pissed at me for not being a team player.

Stores was another shitshow almost entirely staffed by dipshits from a large pacific island nation that had no clue, or just didn't give a shit. They did almost ZERO of what was required of them as per procedures handling/supporting maintenance oprations. Usually the sap production manager would wear that hat also, but no one got fired.

Anyway, its pretty phukked out there. What I'd like to see is more AME's standing up to this shit, but a lot still want to be "liked" by their bosses, and will generally keep taking it.

If the majority of AME's had meaningful lives outside of aviation this would not be happenning.

For many, wrenching on airplanes is their life and they will continue to be treated this way.

Synchrotron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Synchrotron »

Heartily agree.

Dispatch and maintenance control expect ultra quick turns. Must think we're made of manpower.

They also don't get that it's minus 30 celsius outside so last second hangar/ramp/gate re-stacks are a no no.

All this from a comfy cubicle at head office. I wanna invite some of these pricks/prickettes out to the ramp on a busy day so they can see whats involved.

Kick it up to management for more personnel and sure they'll send some. Straight out of high school...

I'm going to retire down south and build furniture.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

For all those AME’s that are considering bailing on the industry Covid is a godsend. When and if you get laid off there are a plethora of jobs out there where you could succeed. Take advantage of the government aid that you have paid into and re-train, take the time to reflect on what you want out of your life and for the love of god get out of the habit of abusing yourself into thinking that fixing airplanes is your “passion”. The boomers are bailing all industries in record numbers and now is the time to bail on graveyards, on call, manipulative employers and crappy wages. If not now then when? No other job that I have ever had have I read about and witnessed such deplorable tactics used by employers and their shady mid-management underlings. And those working up North well the grass is always greener as there actually is grass to look at more than 2 weeks a year.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 pm For all those AME’s that are considering bailing on the industry Covid is a godsend. When and if you get laid off there are a plethora of jobs out there where you could succeed. Take advantage of the government aid that you have paid into and re-train, take the time to reflect on what you want out of your life and for the love of god get out of the habit of abusing yourself into thinking that fixing airplanes is your “passion”. The boomers are bailing all industries in record numbers and now is the time to bail on graveyards, on call, manipulative employers and crappy wages. If not now then when? No other job that I have ever had have I read about and witnessed such deplorable tactics used by employers and their shady mid-management underlings. And those working up North well the grass is always greener as there actually is grass to look at more than 2 weeks a year.
Well said. I think your assessment is spot on, and I for one think my time in this horrible industry is nearing its end. Most of my work is no longer in Canada but the little I do here is absolute BS. Increased paperwork increased mid management, overall increased BS! The only thing that hasn’t increased is appropriate remuneration and benefits and/or competent help! Pat said it best, you have to bill for this increase in paperwork which increases task times. It’s like management wants us to just just shut up and do it and not log time towards it. Sorry, I don’t work for free and I bill every second I’m doing work wether it be physically wrenching or doing any kind of desk work or any kind of work for that matter for the employer / customer.
For those of you on a day rate I suggest you keep track of your hours regardless of your employment deal. I’ve suggested that to many I’ve mentored that are working day rate and they truly are in awe of how much they work for free when they watch these stats. If everyone would do that I think you’d see an increase in staff truly billing for time spent working, and the man hours ACTUALLY in front of management ON PAPER increasing appropriately for the tasks.

I don’t know of ANY other industry that has this gratuitous expectation of their employees except in aviation.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:40 am I have been out of aviation for a few years but check this forum out once in a while to see what’s new. It seems Pat has similar views as me. It must be pretty depressing for those still in the game to see the same companies running the same ads but now getting more and more desperate for talent. Interestingly enough not one posts increases in wages or living conditions and all seem to have the same scheduling that is soul crushing. Why is this happening?

The decline I saw my last few months in the business was an increase in workload, increasing paperwork, increasing lack of talent and stagnant wages. Management sure ballooned though and big corporations took over which Transport sure appreciated.Quite frankly no amount of money would make me comeback to this abusive environment, luckily I didn’t have to experience shift work but once which was enough to make me realize that it was absolutely terrible and unhealthy. I don’t quite know what the next step for aviation is, maybe it’s temporary foreign workers, maybe it’s offshoring all maintenance, maybe Transport Canada( what’s left of it) will slacken the maintenance rules and accept losses?

On the schooling side maybe shorter school curriculum and shorter apprenticeship. Anyways glad I got out when I did. I still see airplanes once in a while and enjoy travel and am glad the business was part of my life but wow I think I experienced it’s hay day as it sure seems to suck even more now if that’s possible.

I wonder if other countries have it better. I know some guys in the states seemed to have it worse. Maybe Europe? With the boomers retiring now or soon but air travel definitely increasing where is the solution? How will the brilliant QA, Maintenance managers, Accountable Executives and all the top heavy executives deal with this? I know it will be entertaining as all hell to watch and I’ll still glance at Avcanada and the news for a good laugh. Maybe even chime in once in a while. I know old school pilots that see the same thing on their side. It will be interesting to watch the spiral dive.

What line of work are you in now?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Hey Bug Stomper. Funny I was just looking at my paystub and realized I make more money than I ever did commuting to Bum$&$& nowhere, fixing someone else’s junk and dealing with incompetent management. It’s weird as I don’t recall being generally abused and enjoyed my “adventure” but there would have to me a million on the table for me to dive back in. As Kevin on Dragons den said once “it’s very hard to walk away from a milsky”. Having said that it would have to be for like a years worth of work and that will never happen.

One reason I came on here today was to actually ask WTF won’t like 99% of companies just post the wages? Are they scared, embarrassed, hoping to catch the fly that will cut his brothers throat for a dollar an hour? It’s weird to be honest in this day and age not to post it.Negotiating for wages I found in my last feeble attempt to dive in several years ago I found myself easily squeezing the HR person for way more than they offered and quite frankly was shocked how far. I never wound up going but sure felt ashamed of the industry.

As far as what I am doing now we’ll let’s just say it’s still trade related but quality of life is way better. I’ll describe it this way as I find everything happens for a reason and one must find his own path in life.

Day shift M-F, 40 hours a week, when out of town(for brief periods) all is paid for with “first class accommodations”full benefits with a pension no RRSP “matching”, company covers everything including LTD, new things learnt everyday(but without a gun to your head), respectful work environment, transferable skill set, red seal(yeah I know we’re federally regulated) but frankly no one cares if you can change a turbine.

Once you describe the working conditions your fellow aviation enthusiast has endured your coworkers eyes almost pop out of their heads and they see why you wouldn’t want to be involved in such a “sexy” industry. Barf

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:41 am Hey Bug Stomper. Funny I was just looking at my paystub and realized I make more money than I ever did commuting to Bum$&$& nowhere, fixing someone else’s junk and dealing with incompetent management. It’s weird as I don’t recall being generally abused and enjoyed my “adventure” but there would have to me a million on the table for me to dive back in. As Kevin on Dragons den said once “it’s very hard to walk away from a milsky”. Having said that it would have to be for like a years worth of work and that will never happen.

One reason I came on here today was to actually ask WTF won’t like 99% of companies just post the wages? Are they scared, embarrassed, hoping to catch the fly that will cut his brothers throat for a dollar an hour? It’s weird to be honest in this day and age not to post it.Negotiating for wages I found in my last feeble attempt to dive in several years ago I found myself easily squeezing the HR person for way more than they offered and quite frankly was shocked how far. I never wound up going but sure felt ashamed of the industry.

As far as what I am doing now we’ll let’s just say it’s still trade related but quality of life is way better. I’ll describe it this way as I find everything happens for a reason and one must find his own path in life.

Day shift M-F, 40 hours a week, when out of town(for brief periods) all is paid for with “first class accommodations”full benefits with a pension no RRSP “matching”, company covers everything including LTD, new things learnt everyday(but without a gun to your head), respectful work environment, transferable skill set, red seal(yeah I know we’re federally regulated) but frankly no one cares if you can change a turbine.

Once you describe the working conditions your fellow aviation enthusiast has endured your coworkers eyes almost pop out of their heads and they see why you wouldn’t want to be involved in such a “sexy” industry. Barf
Sounds like energy sector work, I agree I think I’m throwing in the towel and joining everyone that left for good lol

Return to “Maintenance”