Cat II Medical - Previous Depression

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

IFRhopeful
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cat II Medical - Previous Depression

Post by IFRhopeful »

Hello all!

My apologies if this is not the correct place for this question, but figured it may be relevant to other applicants.
I had been diagnosed in early 2017 for depression (~5 years ago), and prescribed SSRIs at the time. I took these for a few months before going off them.
I haven't had any issues concerning depression or mental health since, and my family doc has said that there are no concerns.

I was just wondering if anybody has had similar experience as mine and had difficulties obtaining their cat II medical clearance. I've already read through the documentation Transport Canada has put out on the matter (as well as checked out a number of threads on here), but I couldn't find many specific to ATC and wanted to get more information if I could.

I realize I will likely need another form filled by my doc to pass the medical, but how likely is it that I would not pass the medical based on the above? I have no other health concerns at all.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Cat II Medical - Previous Depression

Post by wordstwice »

I know a few people who were diagnosed with depression while being a CAT I or II holder and had their LVC suspended as a result. (I'm assuming because of the medication) I also know of someone who had depression brought on by a specific situation (bad divorce) and later was fine. He applied for a medical and never mentioned this episode and got the LVC without any issues.

TheGooseIsLoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheGooseIsLoose »

IFRhopeful wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:59 am Hello all!

My apologies if this is not the correct place for this question, but figured it may be relevant to other applicants.
I had been diagnosed in early 2017 for depression (~5 years ago), and prescribed SSRIs at the time. I took these for a few months before going off them.
I haven't had any issues concerning depression or mental health since, and my family doc has said that there are no concerns.

I was just wondering if anybody has had similar experience as mine and had difficulties obtaining their cat II medical clearance. I've already read through the documentation Transport Canada has put out on the matter (as well as checked out a number of threads on here), but I couldn't find many specific to ATC and wanted to get more information if I could.

I realize I will likely need another form filled by my doc to pass the medical, but how likely is it that I would not pass the medical based on the above? I have no other health concerns at all.

I haven't dealt with this situation myself but I do know someone who has. This is purely anecdotal but the person had a similar story to you. They were prescribed SSRIs years ago and had been off them for quite some time when they went to apply for their CATII medical. I don't know the details but they said that obtaining the medical clearance was a very frustrating process and they weren't sure if it was something they wanted to keep pursuing over the long-term. Having said that, they did receive their medical clearance and they were able to participate in the program that they were getting the medical clearance for.

Sorry I don't have any real specifics but I hope it helps!

IFRhopeful
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IFRhopeful »

TheGooseIsLoose wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:21 pm
I haven't dealt with this situation myself but I do know someone who has. This is purely anecdotal but the person had a similar story to you. They were prescribed SSRIs years ago and had been off them for quite some time when they went to apply for their CATII medical. I don't know the details but they said that obtaining the medical clearance was a very frustrating process and they weren't sure if it was something they wanted to keep pursuing over the long-term. Having said that, they did receive their medical clearance and they were able to participate in the program that they were getting the medical clearance for.

Thank you, that does help! Do you happen to know how long ago they went through the process?

I figured there would be some extra hoops, was just looking for some hope there

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

IFRhopeful wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:59 am Hello all!

I expect you will be able to obtain your medical. Typically there is a waiting period after treatment and possibly a psychiatric assessment - routine stuff. In some situations you can even be on medication and hold a medical certificate.

It helps to have a competent CAME. If yours isn't get rid of him and ask around for a good one.

Have you called your Regional Medical Officer?

TheGooseIsLoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheGooseIsLoose »

IFRhopeful wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:27 pm
TheGooseIsLoose wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:21 pm

Thank you, that does help! Do you happen to know how long ago they went through the process?

I figured there would be some extra hoops, was just looking for some hope there
They went through this process sometime in late 2019/early 2020

linnoiemclaren
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by linnoiemclaren »

Sunlight and fresh air are important components of therapy against depression.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”