Pronouns on Flight Plans

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Pronouns on Flight Plans

Post by ALPApolicy »

Just had it confirmed by our Diversity and Inclusion Committee. They are working with the company to implement a new field (on the flight releases as well as on the crew pairing App on our iPads that will include, if desired, each crew member's pronouns. I don't know why we couldn't just continue the current practice of attaching pronouns to email headers or nametags on the uniform but I don't make the decisions.

So far there is no intention of requiring the lead FA to announce the pronouns on the PA but who knows where this all leads. As it stands it will be a required part of the crrw briefing as of the next Company Operations Manual amendment.
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Pronouns on Flight Plans

Post by Inverted2 »

I’m going to request my pronoun as Supreme Leader, or His Majesty. :mrgreen:

On a serious note my company has one of those alphabet peoplekind, it’s a woman who identifies as no gender so I don’t know what that’s called but “they” will write you up if you do a PA with “Ladies and Gentleman”. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:15 am it’s a woman who identifies as no gender so I don’t know what that’s called
Probably "they" - but, you know, you could always ask them. Showing a little courtesy isn't difficult. At least, not for most people.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

The world is doomed.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Liftdump wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:36 pm The world is doomed.
Only if you're a straight white European heterosexual male. For everyone else, the future is looking up.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

photofly wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:44 pm
Only if you're a straight white European heterosexual male. For everyone else, the future is looking up.
Well then you don’t have anything to worry about! :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

ALPApolicy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 am Just had it confirmed by our Diversity and Inclusion Committee. They are working with the company to implement a new field (on the flight releases as well as on the crew pairing App on our iPads that will include, if desired, each crew member's pronouns. I don't know why we couldn't just continue the current practice of attaching pronouns to email headers or nametags on the uniform but I don't make the decisions.

So far there is no intention of requiring the lead FA to announce the pronouns on the PA but who knows where this all leads. As it stands it will be a required part of the crrw briefing as of the next Company Operations Manual amendment.
You flip flop back and forth between an extremist advocate for equality and extremely offended by it.

You have too much time on your hands... it might be better off spent reading the AOM cover to cover.

ImJustLurking
PGP: It/That

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

No. If you're a straight white European heterosexual male it is always going to be a great future no matter what road blocks get put in front of them.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

You think so? Are all the hot social topics actually improving anyone's life? They do polarize for sure though.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:25 pm
You think so?
Actually I think the future is looking up for everyone, because when you don't have to be a heterosexual white European male to be treated with courtesy and consideration, everyone benefits. Even the heterosexual white European males.
Are all the hot social topics actually improving anyone's life? They do polarize for sure though.
Ask yourself if you want to work for or be a customer of a company whose employee speaks about a colleague in these terms:
On a serious note my company has one of those alphabet peoplekind
and then we can talk about who's doing the polarizing.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:15 am “they” will write you up if you do a PA with “Ladies and Gentleman”. :rolleyes:
“Listen up losers, this is your captain speaking...”

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Subscribers of identity politics and post modernists do the polarizing.

I guess if they don't like "ladies and gentlemen" it turns out that I wasn't speaking to them.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Do you truly not see the dissonance between those two statements?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

The point is that it's getting triggered over semantics.

"Ladies and gentlemen" is an age old expression. If you decided that you're neither, and you can't grasp the spirit of the comment well then that's on you. I don't have the time or inclination to include every possible pronoun in a PA... or maybe we should just go to "Comrades" because that is where this Marxist identity bullshit goes.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

What is the cost to you to change the greeting? How does it disadvantage you in any way, to help someone else have a better day?

In an industry where customer service is everything, I find it very difficult to understand your desire to be obstinate about something that means a lot to others but costs you nothing at all.

I don’t think you really understand it either, which is why you have to use expletives and insults to justify it.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Without commenting on the advisability of changing the PA greeting (similar to the "Merry Christmas" greeting topic), what are we saying about the fragility of trans "ladies and gentlemen" if a simple greeting not meant in anger or hostility is enough to challenge their mental health?

Wouldn't it be like enclosing all open spaces in the country so that the small, very very small percentage of people who are agoraphobes feel safe?

What do psychologists do to help people who suffer from PTSD? I am curious. Do they teach them to run from anything that might possibly trigger them? I hardly think so. What about people who suffer from true phobias, such as a fear of flying? Are they instructed to forget about flying for the rest of their lives?

Trans "ladies and gentlemen", in my opinion, need to learn to adapt and inject themselves into society and learn how to survive in that environment. They need to recognize that every life is full of challenges, not just theirs. They need to recognize that a simple greeting that has been used forever is not an attack on them, and doesn't mean they are being excluded from ANYTHING.

My pronouns are 'HE' (when someone is referring to me) and HER (when someone is referring to a possession of mine).

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ALPApolicy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:44 am Without commenting on the advisability of changing the PA greeting (similar to the "Merry Christmas" greeting topic), what are we saying about the fragility of trans "ladies and gentlemen" if a simple greeting not meant in anger or hostility is enough to challenge their mental health?
Straw man. Nobody here said anything about challenging anyone's mental health. I was wondering why you wanted to be deliberately and unnecessarily discourteous to some of the passengers that are customers of your employer.
Trans "ladies and gentlemen", in my opinion, need to ...
Nobody really cares what your opinion is about what trans people need to do, seeing as you aren't one of them. Which is rather the point.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

altiplano wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:37 am The point is that it's getting triggered over semantics.

"Ladies and gentlemen" is an age old expression. If you decided that you're neither, and you can't grasp the spirit of the comment well then that's on you. I don't have the time or inclination to include every possible pronoun in a PA... or maybe we should just go to "Comrades" because that is where this Marxist identity bullshit goes.
It's comforting to know that if there's a position to take on any topic, you will choose the a-hole option every single time.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

photofly wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:22 am Straw man. Nobody here said anything about challenging anyone's mental health. I was wondering why you wanted to be deliberately and unnecessarily discourteous to some of the passengers that are customers of your employer.
I am going to challenge you on your reading comprehension. Where, in what I wrote, does it say that I want to be deliberately and unnecessarily uncourteous? I clearly stated that I was NOT commenting on the advisability of changing the greeting.

With that said, the only people who could possibly be put off by the use of the two biological sexes of our species are people who have been seduced by an ideology into believing that unless they get things THEIR way it is an attack.

Really photofly, you need to try harder.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

photofly wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:22 amNobody really cares what your opinion is about what trans people need to do, seeing as you aren't one of them. Which is rather the point.
Clearly YOU care about my opinion. And you care enough that you felt compelled to comment on my post. What other opinions of mine would you like to hear? I am full of them.

As, it seems, are you.

Also, trans "ladies and gentlemen" (at least the more activist among them) seem to want us all to change our world to suit they (them? zee? attack helicopters?). Would not a better path for a peaceful existence be to seek the change in themselves that they want others to be/have? (Although frankly, it is the pimply-faced plump, unattractive girls from high school now with pink/purple hair and degrees in women and gender studies pushing the change the most)

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”