DEC Westjet Swoop

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JetA Burner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: DEC Westjet Swoop

Post by JetA Burner »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:28 pmPost
I may be more confused after that post. Let me digest that one....
---------- ADS -----------

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

JetA Burner wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:04 pm
ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:28 pmPost
I may be more confused after that post. Let me digest that one....
Simply put:

The WJ and Swoop pilots are in one bargaining unit. Encore pilots are in a separate bargaining unit. If you looked at a seniority list for just the WJ/Swoop bargaining unit, the pilots all have a DOH listed beside their names. For all pilots on that list that were hired before 2014 or so, the DOH is their DOH at WJ. For pilots on the list with a DOH of 2014 and later (up until now) the DOH may represent:

1) the date they were hired at WJ or Swoop as Off The Street (OTS) pilots, meaning they didn't flow from Encore, or
2) the date they were hired at Encore, which will be 3,4 or 5 years before they were hired at WJ or Swoop. The date they actually came to WJ/Swoop from Encore is not readily available to pilots. I assume the Merger Committees will exchange that information.

When a pilot position bid comes out, it is available to all pilots on the company wide seniority list (subject to Encore pilots being released to flow to mainline or Swoop).

elite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elite »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:59 am ….we are talking about where to place people in 737NG/MAX jobs which the most of us are already flying. SWG pilots, even the most senior ones, are not a threat in the near term, to WestJet pilots with their eyes on the left seat of the 787. I think a three year - five year fence on the left seat of the 787 (in favour of WJ pilots) would be reasonable on the final list…
Keeping pilot groups separate is not efficient, rather all pilots will likely be merged and able to bid into new open positions based on their seniority and applicable temporary fences. Swoop fleet will almost certainly grow and so too will the WB, and likely mainline B737 too, especially with cargo coming into play, so barring any disasters, there will likely be growth.

C3 merger had 3 year fences and freezes, this might be similar. Also expect x number of next upgrades, on both types, come from WJ group given that it has more years. The best being DOH and worst BOTL, SWG will likely fall somewhere in between. A 1 to 5 ratio might play a part somewhere on the list. That seems to be the rough ratio of pilots at WJ compared to SWG. At C3 I believe it was 1 to 2 and it did play a part in certain parts of the list.

At any rate, as others have said, no bump, no flush will protect everyone so that neither group is disadvantaged. And as you said, those that joined SWG solely for EU deployment have time to find something else!! Although the deployment of 10 tails in the summer brought back 25 in the winter, so keeping those is overall better for Canadian pilots.

Return to “WestJet”