AME Career Change

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

AME Career Change

Post by PitchLink »

Hi I looked on here for this topic I’m sure someone’s asked this before but has anyone here left the AME industry in Canada for something else? If so what was it and are you happy about the change?

TIA

PCL
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: AME Career Change

Post by -42 »

Try something, anything. Look at what talents you have not just what credentials transfer which are in theory none. Time flies really fast and there’s lots of help for you out there if your so inclined and do the research. Aviation is a death spiral for a lot of people in my opinion AIDS, nights, shifty companies, middle management that could give a rats ass, executives that will soon move on to their next golden handshake job. You only live once so you might as well enjoy it. The liability, responsibility and lifestyle is not worth it and judging by your request you have already made the first positive step to pulling the pin. It’s like ripping off a band-aid it hurts at first but then the wound heals better and stops festering. Good luck in your journey.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

-42 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:02 pm Try something, anything. Look at what talents you have not just what credentials transfer which are in theory none. Time flies really fast and there’s lots of help for you out there if your so inclined and do the research. Aviation is a death spiral for a lot of people in my opinion AIDS, nights, shifty companies, middle management that could give a rats ass, executives that will soon move on to their next golden handshake job. You only live once so you might as well enjoy it. The liability, responsibility and lifestyle is not worth it and judging by your request you have already made the first positive step to pulling the pin. It’s like ripping off a band-aid it hurts at first but then the wound heals better and stops festering. Good luck in your journey.

I do think you’re spot on. I am a red seal heavy duty already, I’m very interested what other likeminded ames have done to get out. I know lots that went to TC or enbridge etc. LOL to the AIDS connotation 😂

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

-42 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:02 pm Try something, anything. Look at what talents you have not just what credentials transfer which are in theory none. Time flies really fast and there’s lots of help for you out there if your so inclined and do the research. Aviation is a death spiral for a lot of people in my opinion AIDS, nights, shifty companies, middle management that could give a rats ass, executives that will soon move on to their next golden handshake job. You only live once so you might as well enjoy it. The liability, responsibility and lifestyle is not worth it and judging by your request you have already made the first positive step to pulling the pin. It’s like ripping off a band-aid it hurts at first but then the wound heals better and stops festering. Good luck in your journey.

I do think you’re spot on. I am a red seal heavy duty already, I’m very interested what other likeminded ames have done to get out. I know lots that went to TC or enbridge etc. LOL to the AIDS connotation 😂

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

There's a number of AMEs who left the industry and are now working for Translink. (Greater Vancouver).
Great pay, benefits, and a government pension plan.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

helicopterray wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:50 pm There's a number of AMEs who left the industry and are now working for Translink. (Greater Vancouver).
Great pay, benefits, and a government pension plan.
Something you’ll never see in helicopters, that’s a cool
Idea for sure

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Yes, just get out find something with benefits, pension, schedule and pay. So not aviation lol, stationary turbine work is in demand almost always, maybe try solar?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:34 am Yes, just get out find something with benefits, pension, schedule and pay. So not aviation lol, stationary turbine work is in demand almost always, maybe try solar?
I thought about that, lots of travel from what I hear but At least they’re well compensated for it

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:57 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:34 am Yes, just get out find something with benefits, pension, schedule and pay. So not aviation lol, stationary turbine work is in demand almost always, maybe try solar?
I thought about that, lots of travel from what I hear but At least they’re well compensated for it
Oilfield work is picking up, anything like tc energy or enbridge or pembina etc would be a good organization to focus on. I’m surprised more haven’t chimed in but then again I’m not. Lots of bitter people with this career path that let their licenses go and never looked back

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

The biggest key is the ability to make yourself employable. You might have to B.S. your way in if you don’t have the paperwork to prove you can do the job. An A.M.E. Licence is a specialized career regardless of what complaints you and others may have as it has exposed us to all kinds of not only mechanical situations but stress, human factors and dealing with complicated situations. Those are all good things believe it or not when trying to “break in” to a trade or start anew. You have to commit to making a change, that’s your first step and if you can’t do that your just wasting your time. Aviation is neat from a distance other than that and the rich history it’s just a job.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:52 pm The biggest key is the ability to make yourself employable. You might have to B.S. your way in if you don’t have the paperwork to prove you can do the job. An A.M.E. Licence is a specialized career regardless of what complaints you and others may have as it has exposed us to all kinds of not only mechanical situations but stress, human factors and dealing with complicated situations. Those are all good things believe it or not when trying to “break in” to a trade or start anew. You have to commit to making a change, that’s your first step and if you can’t do that your just wasting your time. Aviation is neat from a distance other than that and the rich history it’s just a job.
I wouldn’t call it just a job, more like punishment

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

I’m really surprised more people haven’t chimed in….

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

I suspect that a possible explanation is that a majority who do come here are of the "enthusiast" type.

It does seem, notwithstanding the two top threads I had stickied years ago, that the more active/responded to threads on here are from enthusiastic noobs.

I personally see this as a victory, lol. It looks like the majority of experienced posters are no longer interested.

The job ads seem to support this also.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:56 am I suspect that a possible explanation is that a majority who do come here are of the "enthusiast" type.

It does seem, notwithstanding the two top threads I had stickied years ago, that the more active/responded to threads on here are from enthusiastic noobs.

I personally see this as a victory, lol. It looks like the majority of experienced posters are no longer interested.

I agree, there should be another forum for the veterans of this industry to air out the more than legitimate grievances for the world to see. The industry is in horrible shape, and the fact that everyone is crying shortages and no one is budging barely north of wages offered 15-20 years ago is a sure sign that nothing will change…. Ever!

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Pat Richard wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:56 am I suspect that a possible explanation is that a majority who do come here are of the "enthusiast" type.

The job ads themselves are a deterrent lol

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:25 am

The job ads themselves are a deterrent lol
Ornge is actively hiring…

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Get any DM’s on this or this just went dead because people are too busy pleasuring themselves to pictures of aircraft….

sunshine12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sunshine12 »

The future career growth and scope of AME is a great phase in the aviation industry. The growth rate of air passengers is around 25% which leads to the requirement for new aircraft. According to some reports, airlines ordered 1080 aircraft which build job opportunities for AME.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

sunshine12 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:19 am The future career growth and scope of AME is a great phase in the aviation industry. The growth rate of air passengers is around 25% which leads to the requirement for new aircraft. According to some reports, airlines ordered 1080 aircraft which build job opportunities for AME.
What are you new?

sunshine12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sunshine12 »

IIA Group has the best placement college in India, and you can get jobs with:

Aircraft manufacturing companies.
Flying clubs or teaching clubs.
Private airlines.
National airlines.
International airlines.
Defense Research & Development Organization.
Aircraft-parts manufacturing industries.
Aircraft manufacturing industries.

https://krnl.run
https://indigocard.ltd

Return to “Maintenance”