RAIC Pass benefits?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rwy17
Rank 1
Rank 1

RAIC Pass benefits?

Post by Rwy17 »

Are there any benefits that come with holding an Air Crew RAIC?

Ive heard about the obvious ones like the trusted traveller line at security, and Harbour Air in BC. But is there anything else?
---------- ADS -----------

TC.Enforcement
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: RAIC Pass benefits?

Post by TC.Enforcement »

You used to be able to get discounts on food, but I think that’s a time gone by now.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

What is the RAIC benefit for harbour air? What kinda discount etc?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

IMHO the best benefit is you and however is accompanying you on personal travel get access to the Trusted Travellers line at security, also YYZ RAIC holders have a pretty good discount on the UP express fare.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

Rwy17 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:48 pm Are there any benefits that come with holding an Air Crew RAIC?

Ive heard about the obvious ones like the trusted traveller line at security, and Harbour Air in BC. But is there anything else?
Keep in mind that if you aren’t travelling through security for work purposes then you are not suppose to use your RAIC To access the trusted traveller line.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

Roar wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:44 am
Rwy17 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:48 pm Are there any benefits that come with holding an Air Crew RAIC?

Keep in mind that if you aren’t travelling through security for work purposes then you are not suppose to use your RAIC To access the trusted traveller line.
False. You cannot use NPS if you aren’t travelling for work purposes, but the trusted traveller line is for passenger screening of “trusted travellers” including RAIC holders.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Well it's more of an unofficial courtesy. It's been discussed before here, but I don't believe there's any language that specifically allows you to bring a companion, I could be wrong however.
That being said, just be sure that catsa at your specific airport lets you do it.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

DanWEC wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:53 pm Well it's more of an unofficial courtesy. It's been discussed before here, but I don't believe there's any language that specifically allows you to bring a companion, I could be wrong however.
That being said, just be sure that catsa at your specific airport lets you do it.
On that note am I the only one who find's the variances in CATSA rules/procedure between airports and in some case even within the same airport a bit mind numbing. :?

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

DanWEC wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:53 pm Well it's more of an unofficial courtesy. It's been discussed before here, but I don't believe there's any language that specifically allows you to bring a companion, I could be wrong however.
Here's the official language from CATSA

Trusted Travellers include:

members of NEXUS and Global Entry programs;
currently serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and U.S. military, including reservists, all with valid ID (no uniform required);
Canadian aircrew and airport workers with Restricted Area Identification Cards (RAICs);
international aircrew in uniform with valid airline ID; and
those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Some shops and restaurants in the airports will give you an employee discount

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

tango308 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:27 pm

currently serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and U.S. military, including reservists, all with valid ID (no uniform required);
Canadian aircrew and airport workers with Restricted Area Identification Cards (RAICs);

That's great, thanks for the reference.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

TC.Enforcement wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:12 pm You used to be able to get discounts on food, but I think that’s a time gone by now.
There's at least one restaurant in YYC domestic that gives enough discount to cover the tip. (but just the tip ;)) YYZ T1 has several places with discounts as well.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

10% discount on some restaurants at YUL. Although it's not RAIC dependent (for the restaurants before security, obviously). Any airport employee has access to the discount. This being said, just show up with any lanyard and an ID around your neck, and the cash attendant at most of those restaurants will give you the discount automatically, based on the assumption that you work at the airport.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Free colonoscopies every time you go to work.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

tango308 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:27 pm

wow no way

YVR19
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YVR19 »

Anything in Vancouver?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Can anyone get a RAIC, or do you need to be an airline employee?

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

YVR19 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:23 am Anything in Vancouver?
Most vendors in YVR will give 10% off, some 15%, some 20%. Old sheet attached, no guarantee that it's still accurate but I got a discount a few weeks ago.
AirFrame wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:52 am Can anyone get a RAIC, or do you need to be an airline employee?
Only employees of a business operating at an airport that require access to restricted areas. Employees need to be sponsored by their employer then the pass is issued by an airport authority after obtaining a Transportation Security Clearance.

Attachments
YVR EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT GUIDE.pdf
(678.93 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Roel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Roel »

YVR19 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:23 am Anything in Vancouver?
you do get a 10% off at Japadog at YVR :)

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

There were some liquor stores around the YYC airport that gave discounts. Railyard brewery just north of the airport gives a discount too.

Return to “General Comments”