Job Posting

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Job Posting

Post by hsilgnepilot »

aya123 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:23 am Does anyone mind sharing what the sim eval involves?
Unlike pre covid if you did the process then, now they match you up with another candidate. Mine was on the Dash-300 at YYZ CAE. All the candidates show up as a group in the morning and throughout the day will have a physc evaluation as well as your sim eval. On arrival, you’ll be given a set of basic SOPs to review, the plates you will be using, as well as a Dash 8 cockpit poster. You and your partner will have about 90 minutes to review.

They're not judging you on your abilities to fly a Dash 8, as obviously very few candidates actually have Dash 8 experience. To make it a level playing field, no FMS, no autopilot and no flight director. The “Dash 8” is now effectively like any other multi engine aircraft, just slightly more complex in terms of performance.

The evaluation itself will take place in either pretend YYZ or pretend YVR, so it’s not a bad idea to familiarize yourself with some of the approaches and SIDS at these airports, also familiarization with Jep plates will help.

It’s basically just a MIFR flight test. SID departure, steep turns, hold clearance, engine failure + memory checks, then they’ll give you the engine back. You’re no longer required to fly the approach on one engine. You may or may not have runway contact at minimums, so be prepared to call a go around using the SOPs they gave you on arrival. Then you’ll do a visual approach to a landing.

Overall they’re judging your basic IFR skills and knowledge, your CRM, and they want to get to know you as a person. If your partner is unstable on the approach, call a go around. They love to see this stuff as it shows great CRM and that you’re not in a rush to finish. It can be very overwhelming to go into a sim for the first time, of an aircraft you’ve never flown, with someone you’ve never met, with a job on the line. They understand this, and you’ll probably do better than you expect.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

So no more MRU sim evals in YYC?

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

Not for the time being at least. The way they’re doing it now seems to work well, it was a positive experience for me that’s for sure. Very well organized and put together.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:34 pm
aya123 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:23 am Does anyone mind sharing what the sim eval involves?
Unlike pre covid if you did the process then, now they match you up with another candidate. Mine was on the Dash-300 at YYZ CAE. All the candidates show up as a group in the morning and throughout the day will have a physc evaluation as well as your sim eval. On arrival, you’ll be given a set of basic SOPs to review, the plates you will be using, as well as a Dash 8 cockpit poster. You and your partner will have about 90 minutes to review.

They're not judging you on your abilities to fly a Dash 8, as obviously very few candidates actually have Dash 8 experience. To make it a level playing field, no FMS, no autopilot and no flight director. The “Dash 8” is now effectively like any other multi engine aircraft, just slightly more complex in terms of performance.

The evaluation itself will take place in either pretend YYZ or pretend YVR, so it’s not a bad idea to familiarize yourself with some of the approaches and SIDS at these airports, also familiarization with Jep plates will help.

It’s basically just a MIFR flight test. SID departure, steep turns, hold clearance, engine failure + memory checks, then they’ll give you the engine back. You’re no longer required to fly the approach on one engine. You may or may not have runway contact at minimums, so be prepared to call a go around using the SOPs they gave you on arrival. Then you’ll do a visual approach to a landing.

Overall they’re judging your basic IFR skills and knowledge, your CRM, and they want to get to know you as a person. If your partner is unstable on the approach, call a go around. They love to see this stuff as it shows great CRM and that you’re not in a rush to finish. It can be very overwhelming to go into a sim for the first time, of an aircraft you’ve never flown, with someone you’ve never met, with a job on the line. They understand this, and you’ll probably do better than you expect.

This is awesome to see, very exciting. Certainly better than the “Frankenstein” sims that were used when I went through this process.

Hopefully for the ones who’ve gone already (and the ones to follow shortly) you’ll get a real appreciation for the company and what you’re working towards.

The airline is by no means perfect, but getting a look behind the curtain at this stage of the game should be pretty d@mn cool.

Good luck everyone!

T.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

May be able to earn some brownie points too if you remember if you’re hired at jazz you’ll have an FA. After anything abnormal on the sim eval (hold, engine failure, go around) once the plane is flying nicely causally say “let’s give the FA a call and let them know what’s happening”. Shows an extra level of CRM that will be expected at any sim you do at jazz once hired.

kiwi_paradise
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kiwi_paradise »

Anyone as any idea whats the dealio with DEC application for YYZ? Each time I click on the link it just brings me straight to the general pilot application.
There are no ways to manifest my personal interest for that position.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

kiwi_paradise wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:11 am Anyone as any idea whats the dealio with DEC application for YYZ? Each time I click on the link it just brings me straight to the general pilot application.
Look in the requirement section for the "Pilot" posting. DEC will be offered to the best suited candidates that have an ATPL and preferably some 705 time.
Everyone has to file an application under the same posting.

kiwi_paradise
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kiwi_paradise »

the-minister31 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:20 am
kiwi_paradise wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:11 am Anyone as any idea whats the dealio with DEC application for YYZ? Each time I click on the link it just brings me straight to the general pilot application.
Look in the requirement section for the "Pilot" posting. DEC will be offered to the best suited candidates that have an ATPL and preferably some 705 time.
Makes perfect sense. We will wait for some news from then then

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

kiwi_paradise wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:03 am
the-minister31 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:20 am
Makes perfect sense. We will wait for some news from then then
To be extra clear, if a DEC position is of interest to you, don't wait for the vacancies to be announced, in some misplaced hope that you will have somehow jumped the line. Understand that FOs with ATPLs being hired now are going to get those CA slots (and the associated seniority) well before CA that will be hired OTS.

In other words, don't read more into this announce than a fair warning that upgrades are about to become very quick, and that Jazz will very likely be unable to fill CA vacancies internally. Sooner you apply and get hired, sooner you will be a CA. It's that easy.

Bunk hog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bunk hog »

Have they actually hired anyone yet or just interviewed?

Any word on course dates or if they have actually made any calls to fill a course?

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

Bunk hog wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:17 am Have they actually hired anyone yet or just interviewed?

Any word on course dates or if they have actually made any calls to fill a course?
First class back is on May 16th, after that, a new class will run every 3 weeks.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

tango308 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:52 am
Bunk hog wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:17 am Have they actually hired anyone yet or just interviewed?

First class back is on May 16th, after that, a new class will run every 3 weeks.
Is it every 3 weeks, or a ground school per month (the 3rd monday of each month)?There is conflicting information on the board…

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

RegionalPilot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:20 am

Is it every 3 weeks, or a ground school per month (the 3rd monday of each month)?There is conflicting information on the board…
Effective June 06 it will be 16 hired every third Monday. At least that is the plan.

So it would look like this:

May 16 ?
Jun 06 16
Jun 27 16
Jul 18 16
Aug 08 16
Aug 29 16
Sep 19 16
Oct 10 16
Oct 31 16
Nov 21 16
Dec 12 16

For a total of approximately 160-176 hired in 2022. All subject to change (class size). Current limiting factor is training resources available.

2023 hiring required for attrition will likely be 320-360 (class of 20 every third Monday).

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Calls for June 6th starting to roll out.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

link821 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:58 am Calls for June 6th starting to roll out.
On a saturday? That's unusual haha

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Lol on Friday

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

link821 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:53 am Lol on Friday
Out of curiosity how long did you wait for the call after the drug test?

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

702pipeliner wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:06 pm
I got the call yesterday as well. About 9 days after drug test. 2800 Tt + ATPL. Mix of 705/704 but all FO after flight school.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

rudder wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:43 am
RegionalPilot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:20 am

Effective June 06 it will be 16 hired every third Monday. At least that is the plan.

So it would look like this:

May 16 ?
Jun 06 16
Jun 27 16
Jul 18 16
Aug 08 16
Aug 29 16
Sep 19 16
Oct 10 16
Oct 31 16
Nov 21 16
Dec 12 16

For a total of approximately 160-176 hired in 2022. All subject to change (class size). Current limiting factor is training resources available.

2023 hiring required for attrition will likely be 320-360 (class of 20 every third Monday).
All Yyz and yul based?

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

702pipeliner wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:06 pm
About two weeks

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”