Sunwing/Westjet

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Sunwing/Westjet

Post by cloak »

Competitive forces currently present in the market would suggest that Swoop is going to get a lot bigger and it will fly not only to most sun destinations, but also almost everywhere that Flair, Lynx, Jetlines fly. They would also suggest that Swoop will be the main partner in the merger with Sunwing, and yes it’s WestJet that bought Sunwing and not Onex, which was made very clear. And there would be no logical reasons to do otherwise as WestJet is their first and foremost investment in the sector and the vessel through which Onex will realize its aspirations and visions in the airline industry.
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

it’s WestJet that bought Sunwing and not Onex
Yea - on paper. Westjet doesn't have 2 nickels to rub together just like every other airline in this country. The money and approval for shares transfer came from Onex, If you think GS had no part in this - I have an iceberg to sell you...

They would also suggest that Swoop will be the main partner in the merger with Sunwing,
However this deal actually plays out - this is certainly true - if for no other reason than Westjet mainline aircraft are not configured the same as Sunwings - where Swoops are.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

boeingboy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:24 am
it’s WestJet that bought Sunwing and not Onex
Yea - on paper. Westjet doesn't have 2 nickels to rub together just like every other airline in this country. The money and approval for shares transfer came from Onex, If you think GS had no part in this - I have an iceberg to sell you...

They would also suggest that Swoop will be the main partner in the merger with Sunwing,
However this deal actually plays out - this is certainly true - if for no other reason than Westjet mainline aircraft are not configured the same as Sunwings - where Swoops are.
If we're being honest, Sunwing Airlines was likely pushed on WestJet as part of the deal to buy Sunwing Vacations. WG is not worth much on its own.

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

No surprise here...
The Bureau's empirical economic expert found that the Proposed Transaction is likely to result in significant competitive effects, including price increases for Canadians on a variety of routes where the merged entity would have market power.

As a result, the Commissioner has concluded that the Proposed Transaction is likely to result in a substantial lessening or prevention of competition in the provision of vacation packages on 31 routes between Canada and Mexico or the Caribbean, and represents a merger of the only two integrated tour operators and airlines offering non–stop service on 16 of these routes.
https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic ... 04690.html

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

fruz wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:20 am No surprise here...
The Bureau's empirical economic expert found that the Proposed Transaction is likely to result in significant competitive effects, including price increases for Canadians on a variety of routes where the merged entity would have market power.

As a result, the Commissioner has concluded that the Proposed Transaction is likely to result in a substantial lessening or prevention of competition in the provision of vacation packages on 31 routes between Canada and Mexico or the Caribbean, and represents a merger of the only two integrated tour operators and airlines offering non–stop service on 16 of these routes.
Having been on 2 Sunwing vacations in the past 2 years, I can say that the price of WestJet vacations wasn't even comparable. Easily 20% more money (often almost double the price) for seemingly very similar destinations/ packages. Transat vacations comes really close or even beats Sunwing, but only out of YYZ/ YUL, they have very little to offer out west. I also found that if I shopped by resort price only with airfare separately, AC Rouge was nearly impossible to beat for airfare only. Once WG and WS become one entity prices are going up guaranteed.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

co-joe wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:36 pm
fruz wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:20 am No surprise here...

Having been on 2 Sunwing vacations in the past 2 years, I can say that the price of WestJet vacations wasn't even comparable. Easily 20% more money (often almost double the price) for seemingly very similar destinations/ packages. Transat vacations comes really close or even beats Sunwing, but only out of YYZ/ YUL, they have very little to offer out west. I also found that if I shopped by resort price only with airfare separately, AC Rouge was nearly impossible to beat for airfare only. Once WG and WS become one entity prices are going up guaranteed.
Check out the most recent Sunwing headlines.

And you think price is the only issue at Sunwing?

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

let the fun begin!

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

I will be watching this closely :)

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Great, now they can go on strike together!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:04 pm Great, now they can go on strike together!
I would think that WG pilots still being Unifor would make it very difficult for them to go on strike at all, since they haven't filed for conciliation and their contract isn't up for negotiation. Merging them into ALPA is going to be a significant hurdle to be accomplished at a later date. As a result my guess would be that WG will still fly even if WS and Swoop pilots take job action.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

co-joe wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:50 am
digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:04 pm Great, now they can go on strike together!
I would think that WG pilots still being Unifor would make it very difficult for them to go on strike at all, since they haven't filed for conciliation and their contract isn't up for negotiation. Merging them into ALPA is going to be a significant hurdle to be accomplished at a later date. As a result my guess would be that WG will still fly even if WS and Swoop pilots take job action.
Which is very bad for WS pilots, I’m sure management celebrated with the announcement and I’m sure they’re working on a plan to cover some or most of the flying with WG, it is their slow time of the year. Deployments cancelled will be the next announcement to the WG pilots.
Worst case, allow Westjet to die and rebuild with Sunwing or new name Westwing! Can’t catch a break in this industry!

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

I heard Sunwing is deploying tails to Europe this summer? If that's the case it'll be pretty hard to cover any flying if WS are on strike. Also, I know full well if I was a SWG pilot asked to cover WS flying during a strike I wouldn't be showing up. Sick/Personal days/Call it whatever you want. Not happening.

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Sunwing is deploying aircraft and pilots to Europe this year. If WestJet expects Sunwing to cover WestJet flights this summer, good luck. It'll hardly make a dent with how many aircraft they'll have available.

elite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elite »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:07 am I heard Sunwing is deploying tails to Europe this summer? If that's the case it'll be pretty hard to cover any flying if WS are on strike. Also, I know full well if I was a SWG pilot asked to cover WS flying during a strike I wouldn't be showing up. Sick/Personal days/Call it whatever you want. Not happening.
They may not have a choice as they are bound by their contract, same with Encore.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

cdnavater wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:16 am
co-joe wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:50 am
Which is very bad for WS pilots, I’m sure management celebrated with the announcement and I’m sure they’re working on a plan to cover some or most of the flying with WG, it is their slow time of the year. Deployments cancelled will be the next announcement to the WG pilots.
Worst case, allow Westjet to die and rebuild with Sunwing or new name Westwing! Can’t catch a break in this industry!
I would be shocked if the deployments are canceled. Part of the WestJet/SWG deal is that TUI is taking a stake in WestJet. Our European deployments are mostly for TUI, it would cripple TUI UK’s summer season. SWG will only operate 8-10 airplanes in Canada this summer. Even if we are forced to do the flying it won’t make a dent in WestJets flying.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Presumably aircraft on order by WestJet are for the entire "group" and can go to any of its divisions. And Sunwing has no restriction on the size of its fleet and with the recent of settlement of all its grievances and amendment to its pay, there is ample time left in its contract.

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

You're assuming Sunwing will also have pilots to operate these aircraft too. Attrition is real at Sunwing also. WestJet may be counting on using Sunwing to fulfill operational needs if the westjet pilots stike but the amount of aircraft and personnel available at Sunwing will hardly do anything to fulfill said need.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

fruz wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:02 am You're assuming Sunwing will also have pilots to operate these aircraft too. Attrition is real at Sunwing also. WestJet may be counting on using Sunwing to fulfill operational needs if the westjet pilots stike but the amount of aircraft and personnel available at Sunwing will hardly do anything to fulfill said need.
Sunwing can barely staff it's own needs. Except for a few cases, the majority of WestJet passengers will be screwed if the pilots go on strike.

The affected passengers will not side with the pilots, but that is no reason for WestJet pilots to suck it up and continue to work.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

averageatbest wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:58 pm
fruz wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:02 am You're assuming Sunwing will also have pilots to operate these aircraft too. Attrition is real at Sunwing also. WestJet may be counting on using Sunwing to fulfill operational needs if the westjet pilots stike but the amount of aircraft and personnel available at Sunwing will hardly do anything to fulfill said need.
Sunwing can barely staff it's own needs. Except for a few cases, the majority of WestJet passengers will be screwed if the pilots go on strike.

The affected passengers will not side with the pilots, but that is no reason for WestJet pilots to suck it up and continue to work.
Don’t forget government will probably force you back to work within a week of strike action, citing “national interest” , just like handshakes were replaced by elbow bumping. What a farce.

Return to “Sunwing”