Job Posting!

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Job Posting!

Post by imjustlurking »

Transition9er2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:37 am
bob99 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:44 am
imjustlurking wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:25 am

Ah yes, whataboutism.

Why not admit that Air Canada is paying it's pilots a nearly unlivable wage for the first three years of their employment.
My first year flat pay checks were more than my captain pay checks at encore. I know you have to shit on AC to make yourself feel better about working for Westjet. Yes, the first couple years pay is not good, but look past that for a sec. Once it's done you still have your whole career ahead of you and will make significantly more money at AC than you would elsewhere.

Guys, Imjustlurking is a complete waste of skin. They are NOT a pilot and they DO NOT work for an airline. As far as I can tell they work in a call centre (an annoying telemarketer) and in their spare time they come on here “pretending” to be a pilot and loves to either troll and cause thread drift to appease their own boredom, or they give unfounded career advice to young people asking legitimate questions about potential career moves. The majority of this persons posts are completely shameful!

Getting back to the OP, these are exciting times after a very long 2 years of hardship! Good luck to all that applied, hopeful the positive news continues for everyone no matter where you are in your career!

Everyone except Imjustlurking haha

T.
Not sure why you think I care what you think I do for a living or why it would change the fact that as pilots, we should not accept less just because it gets better later.
---------- ADS -----------

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

imjustlurking wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:46 am
Transition9er2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:37 am
bob99 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:44 am
My first year flat pay checks were more than my captain pay checks at encore. I know you have to shit on AC to make yourself feel better about working for Westjet. Yes, the first couple years pay is not good, but look past that for a sec. Once it's done you still have your whole career ahead of you and will make significantly more money at AC than you would elsewhere.

Guys, Imjustlurking is a complete waste of skin. They are NOT a pilot and they DO NOT work for an airline. As far as I can tell they work in a call centre (an annoying telemarketer) and in their spare time they come on here “pretending” to be a pilot and loves to either troll and cause thread drift to appease their own boredom, or they give unfounded career advice to young people asking legitimate questions about potential career moves. The majority of this persons posts are completely shameful!

Getting back to the OP, these are exciting times after a very long 2 years of hardship! Good luck to all that applied, hopeful the positive news continues for everyone no matter where you are in your career!

Everyone except Imjustlurking haha

T.
Not sure why you think I care what you think I do for a living or why it would change the fact that as pilots, we should not accept less just because it gets better later.

Thread drift.

Heard from an instructor at Jazz the latest numbers out of AC is potentially 500 new hires over the next 12 months between Express and OTS.

Just the rumour in the training department, not sure how solid that number is. Seems high.

T.

ted_stryker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ted_stryker »

Is YUL a fairly junior base to get? Or in the past have most new hires been sent to YYZ?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Yeah. Flat pay sucks...

There sure are a lot of things that suck in this world, in this career, in this particular job... could be better, yada yada... but then there you are and you're making 250 large a year plus a pension and paid benefits and realising you aren't that far from the widebody... and there you are...

Once in a lifetime...

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large airliner
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, "Well... how did I get here?"

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"
And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large airliner?"
And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful house"
And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful wife"

And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?"
And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go to?"
And you may ask yourself, "Am I right? Am I wrong?"
And you may say to yourself, "My God! What have I done?"

Letting the days go by...

Same as it ever was...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

The only way to win this game is by not playing :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

altiplano wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:29 pm Yeah. Flat pay sucks...

There sure are a lot of things that suck in this world, in this career, in this particular job... could be better, yada yada... but then there you are and you're making 250 large a year plus a pension and paid benefits and realising you aren't that far from the widebody... and there you are...

Once in a lifetime...

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack Brampton apartment
And you may find yourself in another part of the world CYUL base
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large airliner Q400
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife that girl from YPL
And you may ask yourself, "Well... how did I get here?" through the online application

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?" FMS
And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large airliner?" its still a Dash 8

Same as it ever was...

Let’s Go Brandon
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Last edited by Hangry on Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

LOL... I thought about doing that, but I didn't have time to be creative...

There's more to the point of it though...

how did I get here - wherever that is? is this my life? where does it all go? whatever you do, suddenly there you still are...

Once in a lifetime... letting the days go by... same as it ever was...

Enjoy it, whatever happens...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

altiplano wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:29 pm Yeah. Flat pay sucks...

Once in a lifetime...

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large airliner
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, "Well... how did I get here?"

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"
And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large airliner?"

Same as it ever was...
https://youtu.be/MFV1biHrOBU

🤩🤩

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

Arnie Pye wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:41 am We have to stop putting Air Canada on a pedestal.
I see no reason to apply based on potential earnings 10-20 years from now.
If NB captain positions continue going to 4th year pilots, that’s a $200k/yr potential earning, within 5 years.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Col. Panic wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:40 pm
Arnie Pye wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:41 am We have to stop putting Air Canada on a pedestal.
I see no reason to apply based on potential earnings 10-20 years from now.
If NB captain positions continue going to 4th year pilots, that’s a $200k/yr potential earning, within 5 years.
How many bids are there vs how many pilots have to continue right seat? 1 bid for every 100 pilots? 1 bid for every 1000?
How risky is it to bid that spot with that level of inexperience?What is the QOL as a NB Capt with 4-5 years of seniority?

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

I’m not sure you have the right concept of how bids work? There is one equipment bid for all the pilots. It’s starts with the company providing a break down of the number of total positions in each position on each base.

Individuals have a standing bid that they can adjust with their bid, positions can be bid to the bottom of the respective list or qualified by percentage from the top or number of positions. What AC provides is options, every pilot decides what the best balance between pay and lifestyle their seniority will provide them.

There are 777 Captains with 25 years of service working every weekend and holiday, but they’ve made the choice to bid that position to the bottom. Likewise there are NB FO’s with amazing schedules with very few YOS.

The bottom 15-20% of each list is usually reserve. The bottom half of each list works parts or the entirety of every weekend, or they bid reserve to get weekends off. Those in the top half can work when they want or go where they want, the top 10% get everything they want.

It’s easy to get hung up on upgrade times because it’s an obvious answer to “should I apply to AC”, but the other thing to remember is the quality of life options available through rapid (re-)growth.

Last edited by TheStig on Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

TheStig wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:19 pm I’m not sure you have the right concept of how bids work? There is one equipment bid for all the pilots. It’s starts with the company providing a break down of the number of total positions in each position on each base.

Individuals have a standing bid that they can adjust with they’re bid, positions can be bid to the bottom of the respective list or qualified by percentage from the top or number of positions. What AC provides is options, every pilot decides what the best balance between pay and lifestyle their seniority will provide them.

There are 777 Captains with 25 years of service working every weekend and holiday, but they’ve made the choice to bid that position to the bottom. Likewise there are NB FO’s with amazing schedules with very few YOS.

The bottom 15-20% of each list is usually reserve. The bottom half of each list works parts or the entirety of every weekend, or they bid reserve to get weekends off. Those in the top half can work when they want or go where they want, the top 10% get everything they want.

It’s easy to get hung up on upgrade times because it’s an obvious answer to “should I apply to AC”, but the other thing to remember is the quality of life options available through rapid (re-)growth.
Has the upgrade process become easier than the gauntlet it used to be in the past, and are these upgrades on every positional bid?

At the end of the day - if its rare to get through the upgrade process, or if there penalties for failing - then it could prove super risky for most YR 5 guys banking on an upgrade to make up for flat pay losses.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:50 pm
TheStig wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:19 pm I’m not sure you have the right concept of how bids work? There is one equipment bid for all the pilots. It’s starts with the company providing a break down of the number of total positions in each position on each base.

Individuals have a standing bid that they can adjust with they’re bid, positions can be bid to the bottom of the respective list or qualified by percentage from the top or number of positions. What AC provides is options, every pilot decides what the best balance between pay and lifestyle their seniority will provide them.

Has the upgrade process become easier than the gauntlet it used to be in the past, and are these upgrades on every positional bid?

At the end of the day - if its rare to get through the upgrade process, or if there penalties for failing - then it could prove super risky for most YR 5 guys banking on an upgrade to make up for flat pay losses.
Anecdotally the pass rate for upgrades is +90%. A little lower on the Airbus fleet, especially it seems since the change of command over there for one reason or another. Command training failures are reflected on the line status report and there were only a couple on this last one. The punishment for failure is death by hanging..... no wait that’s horse theft. If you fail the upgrade it’s 2 years before you can try again. You used to only be able to attempt twice in a career before your sentenced to a lifetime in the right seat but that recently changed as well.

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:50 pm

If it’s that big a concern, you can still bid widebody FO and make $160k+ in year 5.

These pay values are still way under where they should be, but I am just trying to dispel the idea that you have to wait 15+ years to make a reasonable wage. A 50% raise across the board would go a long way towards regaining the losses of the past 19 years, or at least return to 2003 pay (corrected for inflation!)

As mentioned elsewhere, the best thing that could happen for AC pilots would be for WS pilots to sign an industry leading contract! I would love to see ACPA go into negotiations in 2024 and be able to say “look how far behind we are now”!

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Forget WestJet. The best thing that could happen is if the US majors started broadly sponsoring Canadian pilot's visas.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Best thing is ALPA/ACPA WJ/AC both said enough is enough and membership had the stones to stand out together and started pattern bargaining at rates similar to US legacies.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

FL030 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:15 pm Forget WestJet. The best thing that could happen is if the US majors started broadly sponsoring Canadian pilot's visas.
https://drgnews.com/2022/03/11/skywest- ... -shortage/

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

Any idea what it means when you get this,

“This message is to inform you that we have received your latest resume for the position of Pilot (for non AC-Express Pilots only). We thank you for your interest and would like to inform you that we have modified your online candidate file accordingly.“

I went to my profile, I couldn’t see anything jumping out that was modified? Cheers.

Kingair200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kingair200 »

C208 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:53 am Any idea what it means when you get this,

“This message is to inform you that we have received your latest resume for the position of Pilot (for non AC-Express Pilots only). We thank you for your interest and would like to inform you that we have modified your online candidate file accordingly.“

I went to my profile, I couldn’t see anything jumping out that was modified? Cheers.
it's probably a generic reply cuz i got the same as well. best of luck and all the best to everyone who applied

Return to “Air Canada”