China Eastern 737 down

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

China Eastern 737 down

Post by boeingboy »

A China Eastern 737 just crashed into a mountainside in southern China with 123 passengers and 9 crew. Reports say it's a 2015 737-800, although that information is currently being reported as being taken from Flightradar24 and not official sources. Flightradar is usually pretty accurate which I hope is the case (it being an -800). It's being reported that it lost speed rapidly and then entered a steep dive.

RIP to all

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/of ... li=AAggNb9
---------- ADS -----------

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: China Eastern 737 down

Post by indieadventurer »

Some videos out now of what appears to be an almost nosedive into the ground. Absolutely terrible.

A catastrophic structural failure of some flight control or an intentional action both come to mind as possibilities.

Adsb data showed a -30,000 fpm decent.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

china_eastern_b738_b-1791_guangzhou_220321_1.jpg
china_eastern_b738_b-1791_guangzhou_220321_1.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 4975 times

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

indieadventurer wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:43 am Some videos out now of what appears to be an almost nosedive into the ground. Absolutely terrible.

A catastrophic structural failure of some flight control or an intentional action both come to mind as possibilities.

Adsb data showed a -30,000 fpm decent.
Would you be able to do this intentionally in a 737?

Seems unlikely the plane wouldn't want to pull up as the speed increases. If the goal would be to intentionally crash, it is more likely to see something like a 60 degree flight path downwards instead of 90. 60 degrees feels like 90 the first few times you do it.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Thank goodness it wasn’t another MAX! Even if it was a flight control problem there’s usually some oscillating first, along with a mayday call. That thing went completely straight down. Hoping it’s not another Germanwings.

Let’s Go Brandon
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Also in that photo it looks like the vertical stab is gone. :?:

Let’s Go Brandon
Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

Does anyone else get a cover up vibe here? I've never herd of a -800 getting into a nosedive situation like this. However, this does give a very eerily similar vibe to the previous Max accidents. Thinking of what the global implications would be world wide if this was a max, it is not very crazy to think they would delay posting that information as long as possible. As stated above it has not yet been verified as a -800 yet.

I know its early days in the investigation and it's not good to speculate, but just wondering if the -800 has ever had a history of an accident like this. And what any other 737 pilots thoughts are.

Sad sad news. RIP to all.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Tolip wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:28 pm Does anyone else get a cover up vibe here? I've never herd of a -800 getting into a nosedive situation like this. However, this does give a very eerily similar vibe to the previous Max accidents. Thinking of what the global implications would be world wide if this was a max, it is not very crazy to think they would delay posting that information as long as possible. As stated above it has not yet been verified as a -800 yet.

I know its early days in the investigation and it's not good to speculate, but just wondering if the -800 has ever had a history of an accident like this. And what any other 737 pilots thoughts are.

No.

https://pilotcareercentre.com/Air-Carri ... n-Airlines
China Eastern doesn't seem to operate any 737 MAX / 737-8 / 737-10

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

digits_ wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:36 pm
Tolip wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:28 pm Does anyone else get a cover up vibe here? I've never herd of a -800 getting into a nosedive situation like this. However, this does give a very eerily similar vibe to the previous Max accidents. Thinking of what the global implications would be world wide if this was a max, it is not very crazy to think they would delay posting that information as long as possible. As stated above it has not yet been verified as a -800 yet.

No.

I hear you, an unlikely situation for sure. It's just the manner in which the plane crashed, sudden nose down at 30,000 feet straight into the ground. Really only heard of such an accident with the max aircraft. Its tuff to get an accurate fleet scope from China eastern, but they operate over a hundred 737-800s, and from what I have read on recent news clips, about 14 Max's.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Is the MAX even approved in China again? I don’t think so.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

200hr Wonder wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:36 pm Is the MAX even approved in China again? I don’t think so.
They were the last country to approve it, but yes. It is approved since last last year

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Tolip wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:31 pm

No.

I hear you, an unlikely situation for sure. It's just the manner in which the plane crashed, sudden nose down at 30,000 feet straight into the ground. Really only heard of such an accident with the max aircraft. Its tuff to get an accurate fleet scope from China eastern, but they operate over a hundred 737-800s, and from what I have read on recent news clips, about 14 Max's.
The max aircraft didn't go vertical. They descended steeply but not 90 degrees. It's very hard to get an airplane to go down a steady 90 degree line.

Even if this plane lost its tail, I'd be really surprised it would go straight down. It's more something you would expect if it would lose both its wings.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:30 am Also in that photo it looks like the vertical stab is gone. :?:
Well spotted. Maybe the whole back end?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

digits_ wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:03 pm
Tolip wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:31 pm

No.

The max aircraft didn't go vertical. They descended steeply but not 90 degrees. It's very hard to get an airplane to go down a steady 90 degree line.

Even if this plane lost its tail, I'd be really surprised it would go straight down. It's more something you would expect if it would lose both its wings.
Do we have official readings of rate\angle to make this comparison, or just using that blurry picture? The thing that doesby support structural failure in this case is that flight radar shows the plane leveling off from the decent. Going back into a climb and then back into another decent. Which again, rings very familiar to the previous max crashes

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Jesus. A dive, short climb, then another dive all the way down. If there was an initial catastrophic structural failure of any kind that really makes a puzzle of how it could climb again unless some really nasty things were happening with the controls. Awful.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

This one reminds me of the Alaska Air diesel 9 (md80) off the coast of California. That one was a busted jack screw on the horizonal stab.

The video that earlier screenshot came from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpIYBtEi6iE

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

goldeneagle wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:48 pm This one reminds me of the Alaska Air diesel 9 (md80) off the coast of California. That one was a busted jack screw on the horizonal stab.

I would agree with you on that. But flight radar shows the plane leveled off and managed to climb about a thousand feet before continuing into another nose dive. I think just that there almost rules out critical aircraft failure

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Tolip wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:00 pm
goldeneagle wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:48 pm This one reminds me of the Alaska Air diesel 9 (md80) off the coast of California. That one was a busted jack screw on the horizonal stab.

I would agree with you on that. But flight radar shows the plane leveled off and managed to climb about a thousand feet before continuing into another nose dive. I think just that there almost rules out critical aircraft failure
The Alaska Air crash stopped the dive momentarily as well before diving again.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Tolip wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:00 pm I would agree with you on that. But flight radar shows the plane leveled off and managed to climb about a thousand feet before continuing into another nose dive. I think just that there almost rules out critical aircraft failure
Not necessarily. The aircraft could have been overstressed pulling out of the initial upset resulting in structural failure resulting in the final uncontrolled dive.

All speculation at this point.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”