Aviation Watch Recommendations

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Squawked
Rank 0
Rank 0

Aviation Watch Recommendations

Post by Squawked »

Hi there,

I'm looking for recommendations for a watch for flying. Right now, I'm thinking of the Garmin D2 Air X10 or the good ol' Apple Watch which seems to have some cool apps.

I know you don't need something like this and they are kinda gimmicky but I'm a sucker for gimmicks.

So, have any of you out there had one of these or something similar found it useful for flying and would recommend it?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Aviation Watch Recommendations

Post by sjatana »

I have the Garmin Venu 2. There is a 3rd party app I downloaded that displays UTC, home time and local time. Local time updates automatically.

I use it for exercising as well, tracking water intake, etc. Battery life is great. The sleep tool is pretty good too. The metal encasing is prone to scratches from what I read, so I purchased a cover for it that fits well and makes it look sleek.

Cheers.

OtherRedBaron
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by OtherRedBaron »

I use a Timex® Ironman©.

No muss, no fuss, it counts seconds with naught but a glance, it's got a stopwatch and a timer. It does everything I need in the air and nothing I don't.

But, I'm not a sucker for gimmicks. If I was, I'd probably go with a Garmin, because I'm already invested in Garmin for my wilderness adventures, and they make some pretty cool shit. They make some reasonably cost effective GPS watches that pair very nicely with topographical maps and satellite devices.

But flying? No. I need something that's simple, with few features to @#$! around with, that works right away, every time. I need to not think about it, because I've got to fly the plane first. Any watch with too many features, for me, will detract from my primary responsibility there. I think, even if I had a "fancy" watch, I'd still wear my Timex flying. The reliability and simplicity simply cannot be beat.

And - Timex. That old motto still holds true, and I can attest to it. They still take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. They're still as good as they ever were. The one I have now has been submerged in mud, run over, and a hundred feet underwater. It even got bashed in by a cinderblock once (which damaged my wrist more than the watch). It still works. I have never been disappointed with the purchase of a Timex watch. They're not fancy. They do one thing, and they do it well.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well, the apple watch does have a mickey mouse watch face. And Mickey even says it out loud sometimes.
How cool is that?

Though I suppose no one may recognize you as a pilot with one.

Go with a good old timex .

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
OtherRedBaron
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by OtherRedBaron »

trey kule wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:48 pm Well, the apple watch does have a mickey mouse watch face. And Mickey even says it out loud sometimes.
How cool is that?

Though I suppose no one may recognize you as a pilot with one.
It is cool. But don't compare a decent smart watch with Mickey Mouse crap. There's a massive difference between a gimmicky (i.e. Mickey Mouse) watch and a pricey "fancy" (i.e. GPS) watch. I do believe OP is inquiring about the latter.
trey kule wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:48 pm Go with a good old timex .
No argument there. Get something simple.

Squawked - don't buy into the "Aviation Watch" crap. If you buy one, I guarantee you, it will, sooner or later, boil down to nothing but a timekeeping device. These "aviation" watches are nothing but a ploy to suck money from PPL hopefuls who think that such an inconsequential thing matters. Spend your money elsewhere - like a good headset.

Gowyn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gowyn »

I’m a watch guy, personal choice because I like them.

I own several “pilot” watches which I do fly with. Not to advertise what I do but as an actual tool.

For me it’s just that, a tool.

I like a large black dial, easy to read and that’s it. I’m still torn on using a Chrono, sometimes I do but most are a busy dial.

Most pilot watches are pure marketing. Some are homage to days gone by which are cool for other reasons but not really great in the cockpit.

Depending on your budget a nice tool watch is anywhere between $500 and $10k, but to be very honest a $10 Timex will work just as well.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I've got a Garmin Vivoactive 4. Very happy with it. I have an easily readable watchface on it (there are hundreds to choose from) and there's a METAR/TAF app that duplicates the same functionality offered on the Garmin pilot-specific watches. And the Vivoactive 4 is about half the price of the cheapest "aviation" Garmin watch, last I looked.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Ditto what Gowyn said.
My daily go to is a Garmin Forerunner 935 that does everything a smart watch needs to do.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

I am with the Timex Ironman crowd

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I stopped wearing a watch once I started flying airplanes with clocks.

OtherRedBaron
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by OtherRedBaron »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:56 pm I stopped wearing a watch once I started flying airplanes with clocks.
I started wearing a watch flying when my instructor's plane's chronometer broke.

All airplanes have clocks - but a lot of those clocks happen to be watches or cellphones. The clock is the last thing to get fixed, in any small airplane. So I wear a watch now.

That same Ironman watch is also great for timing my cooking. No muss, no fuss. It does one thing (it keeps time), and it does it well.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

Tech is fun; functional is what you want, if you make form & function fit with fun then go for it. I've always perferred the old addage "keep it simple" so I'm a plain faced, hours & minutes hands kind of watch person. The only tech my watch offers is a digital window with GMT displayed however something that auto-updates the local time is a feature I might welcome.

flaminghotdog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flaminghotdog »

Based on your post I’m assuming you want smart watches recommendations? If so then my Apple Watch has been perfect, I use log ten pro and it has the Apple Watch app aswell and the stop watch function I use when teaching holds to my students and I’m timing the outbound and inbound leg.

If you want a classic timeless timepiece and you have the budget for it then I recommend breitling

flaminghotdog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flaminghotdog »

Based on your post I’m assuming you want smart watches recommendations? If so then my Apple Watch has been perfect, I use log ten pro and it has the Apple Watch app aswell and the stop watch function I use when teaching holds to my students and I’m timing the outbound and inbound leg.

If you want a classic timeless timepiece and you have the budget for it then I recommend breitling

LarissaSchroeder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LarissaSchroeder »

Garmin D2 Air X10 will do if you constantly fix and wind them up. They have nothing to do with electronic watches.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I like watches, as with everything else it's a personal opinion. Wear what ya want!
Lot of great styles in aviation watches but most of the features are pointless even though they might sound cool at first blush. I've gone through the whole gamut, and when it comes down to it, using a 1sq" watch for tasks is just cumbersome.

That being said, after 15 years of flying, from student to 705, I've found there are really just a few basic things that I like a watch to have for beyond telling time;
Stopwatch, Zulu time -and later on- auto time zone. A margarita maker would be nice too.
It all depends what you do. If I did a lot of solo GA I might think of a few more backup features like GPS, etc.

LarissaSchroeder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LarissaSchroeder »

Garmin D2 Air X10 will do if you constantly fix and wind them up. They have nothing to do with electronic watches. I like the mechanical ones, they can withstand overloads, and you don't have to turn them off. I bought a watch winder for mine so the auto winder wouldn't break. I have ten models in my collection, each with a perpetual calendar and moon phase indicator. Every time I set the calendar and the exact time. But then the complicated gear system would break much faster than it should. So you should look at additional apps to make the watch work like a good old apple watch.

Last edited by LarissaSchroeder on Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Cosmograph Daytona with Oysterflex bracelet.

Gotta look good on layover...

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

I love my Garmin D2. Easy to read phone notifications without pulling your phone from your pocket. Home wx, UTC and local time all available at a glance. Pulse o2, Aviation database, direct to, nearest etc and a tonne of other functionality. It's not perfect but it's a great flying watch.

From your description, you'd be very happy with a Garmin I'm sure.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

What’s in your pocket everywhere you go and has access to the entire sum of human knowledge?

What can beat that?

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html

Return to “General Comments”