North Cariboo

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: North Cariboo

Post by co-joe »

yashu10 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:48 am Could someone explain what contrail is?
The AB oil companies have the highest hour requirement for charter pilots in the world, Contrails is the company that audits air carriers so the oil companies don't have to, they in turn, contract the service to him. Yet, there is zero hour requirements for contrails flights on airlines like Jazz and Encore. The stupidity of it is rather astounding, that a Jazz captain with 2000 hours total time is fine for their staff to fly on a Jazz Q400, but for a charter company to do the same flight, Contrails required the captain to have 2000 hours PIC on type.
---------- ADS -----------

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

co-joe wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:49 pm
yashu10 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:48 am Could someone explain what contrail is?
The AB oil companies have the highest hour requirement for charter pilots in the world, Contrails is the company that audits air carriers so the oil companies don't have to, they in turn, contract the service to him. Yet, there is zero hour requirements for contrails flights on airlines like Jazz and Encore. The stupidity of it is rather astounding, that a Jazz captain with 2000 hours total time is fine for their staff to fly on a Jazz Q400, but for a charter company to do the same flight, Contrails required the captain to have 2000 hours PIC on type.
The oil companies carry a lot more responsibility on the flights into their privately owned oil sand strips on aircraft they have solely chartered, compared to a single ticket purchased through Air Canada.(many of those companies require their employees actually purchase those tickets themselves and are reimbursed). Contrail helps carry some or the burden of liability.
With that said, I am unsure if WJ uses contrail for their chartered oil sand work, while places like NCA and Sunwest do.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Buit that's what I'm saying. the same oil company will fly their people on a Jazz, or Encore flight to Ft St John and not care one bit that the Captain has a bare bones ATPL with all their PIC under supervision, from YXJ they will get on a King Air to the well site and require the Captain have 1000 multi PIC. It's a joke.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

co-joe wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:47 pm Buit that's what I'm saying. the same oil company will fly their people on a Jazz, or Encore flight to Ft St John and not care one bit that the Captain has a bare bones ATPL with all their PIC under supervision, from YXJ they will get on a King Air to the well site and require the Captain have 1000 multi PIC. It's a joke.
It's not completely ridiculous.

A well site in which you fly as a PIC with minimal support versus an international airport with first responders on staff, in an environment where all the flight planning is done for you.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Yeah contrail is just some consultant swindling large companies that don’t understand aviation out of a consulting fee. As for the avro job I declined the interview in end. Too low pay, bond, wrong point in my career for that.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

digits_ wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:30 pm
co-joe wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:47 pm Buit that's what I'm saying. the same oil company will fly their people on a Jazz, or Encore flight to Ft St John and not care one bit that the Captain has a bare bones ATPL with all their PIC under supervision, from YXJ they will get on a King Air to the well site and require the Captain have 1000 multi PIC. It's a joke.
It's not completely ridiculous.

A well site in which you fly as a PIC with minimal support versus an international airport with first responders on staff, in an environment where all the flight planning is done for you.
I know that's what you think NCA does, but most of their work is pavement to pavement, ILS to ILS. The same flying the airlines do, but Contrails forces them to do it with much more experienced crews. In 3 years at NCA I might have landed on gravel 15 times tops. I don't really care anymore, that world is hopefully behind me for good. Fact is, as long as Sunwest and Cariboo keep playing by Contrails rules, those dumb requirements will still be in play.

Anyway that was a thread drift to answer yashu10's question.

SpicyGoat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SpicyGoat »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:24 am Yeah contrail is just some consultant swindling large companies that don’t understand aviation out of a consulting fee. As for the avro job I declined the interview in end. Too low pay, bond, wrong point in my career for that.
Hopefully you're not alone in that, be great if companies like this got a clue and brought in better conditions for everyone.

DaisyMaker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DaisyMaker »

Anyone have any info on what they’re like for AMEs? Considering the Edmonton, Fort St. John, Prince George bases. Is it usually swing shifts? Or days? Or evenings/nights? Regular hours or lots of call-outs & overtime? Work atmosphere?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I can't speak for the working conditions as an AME there, but my experience was that it's a positive work environment in terms of pilot/AME relations. If a pilot writes up a snag, the maintenance manager approves a work order, and the aircraft gets repaired. I never felt any animosity there which is usually a sign of a decent environment. I found the engineers in yyc, yeg, and yxj all seemed happy for the most part.

Just like NCA has a ground to pilot program for the rampies, with a written seniority list, they also take rampies and sign them up for the AME apprenticeship in the order they were hired by seniority. I think the opportunity to get your M1 exists as well. I only keep in touch with 2 former AME from there, one went to elevator repairman, and one went to Canadian North so my info might be a few years dated.

DaisyMaker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DaisyMaker »

co-joe wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:20 am I can't speak for the working conditions as an AME there, but my experience was that it's a positive work environment in terms of pilot/AME relations. If a pilot writes up a snag, the maintenance manager approves a work order, and the aircraft gets repaired. I never felt any animosity there which is usually a sign of a decent environment. I found the engineers in yyc, yeg, and yxj all seemed happy for the most part.

Just like NCA has a ground to pilot program for the rampies, with a written seniority list, they also take rampies and sign them up for the AME apprenticeship in the order they were hired by seniority. I think the opportunity to get your M1 exists as well. I only keep in touch with 2 former AME from there, one went to elevator repairman, and one went to Canadian North so my info might be a few years dated.
Thanks for the info. A positive relationship between the AMEs and pilots is always a good sign.

I’ve already got my M1, as well as experience on some of their airplane types. I’m considering them because the pay they’re offering is a quite a bit higher than my current place. I do like my current place of employment, just with the way inflation is going, the pay at NCA is quite attractive.

RNP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RNP »

Dunjy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 amPayscale
Wow... that's criminal. I don't know what's worse, the starting pay or the fact that year 8 pay is what starting pay should be :o

RNP

Return to “Employment Forum”