Vehicle - Slow down early on slippery surface

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Vehicle - Slow down early on slippery surface

Post by pelmet »

This TSB report reminds me of an accident I had many years ago. Different situation but caused damage. I was a baggage handler and driving back to the baggage room which had an automated door sensor as the vehicle approached. Bottom line...I was driving fast and applied brake on what I thought was black pavement but was actually black ice. Aside from learning a lesson of slowing down early as a precaution, I did notice something else......Instinct takes over and one just keeps on trying to apply apply brake harder and harder until....crunch.

Fortunately, I never damaged an aircraft with all the various types of vehicles I drove very close to them(regular baggage vehicles, van, pushback tug, forklift, catering truck, poop truck, fresh water truck, jeep, main deck loader/FMC). Quite a few guys did cause damage. A certain amount of paranoia can be a good thing.

As I read this report, I imagined this driver reacting the same way I did. And he has huge inertia working against him. Slow down early in winter conditions......

"On 18 February 2022, Tractor 244 was towing a Boeing 737 aeroplane to Terminal 3 at Toronto
Pearson International Airport (CYYZ). Tractor 244 was moving on taxiway Sierra and was
instructed to hold short of Runway 33R due to a departing aircraft on that runway. The driver of
Tractor 244 read back the restriction to hold short of Runway 33R. As Tractor 244 approached the
holdshort line, the driver attempted to stop; however, the vehicle began sliding along the taxiway,
crossing the holdshort line for Runway 33R. The air traffic controller, observing the snow-clearing
vehicle going past the holdshort line, instructed the driver of Tractor 244 to stop. At that point, the
individual in the aircraft being towed also applied the brakes in an attempt to prevent crossing the
holdshort line. Tractor 244 subsequently stopped approximately 5 metres beyond the holdshort
line. Once stopped, the driver of Tractor 244 indicated that the vehicle would not stop due to the
slippery conditions. There was no impact to the departing aircraft's takeoff and no impact to
operations. There were no injuries."
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”