US Airlines Hiring Canadians

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: US Airlines Hiring Canadians

Post by firstofficer »

FlightInstructionGTA wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:32 pm Hi,

Yes I think there would be plenty of reason to strike.

1) We actually have no idea what would be the consequences because the last strike in Canadian aviation was in 1765.
why would the company would negociate anything if they do not have anything to lose? I would not negociate anything if I was in the shoes of management.

2) Essential services : i am really not sure it is still a thing. But, if it is the case, All the unions together (pilots, FA, mechanics etc) could argue that it is essential for Canadian to travel within the country....but not internationnaly.

3) trying nothing will give us nothing anyway...

4) If it is not already the case. Work all together to remove this nonsense has the no strike policy.
A real shame as we all saw during the pandemic that we were absolutly not "Essentials"

What a joke, come on :D
While American Aviators are demonstrating across several airports. Canadians are demonstrating on avcanada. The true laughing stock
---------- ADS -----------

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

lenaumade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lenaumade »

firstofficer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:02 am

1) We actually have no idea what would be the consequences because the last strike in Canadian aviation was in 1765.
why would the company would negociate anything if they do not have anything to lose? I would not negociate anything if I was in the shoes of management.

2) Essential services : i am really not sure it is still a thing. But, if it is the case, All the unions together (pilots, FA, mechanics etc) could argue that it is essential for Canadian to travel within the country....but not internationnaly.

4) If it is not already the case. Work all together to remove this nonsense has the no strike policy.
A real shame as we all saw during the pandemic that we were absolutly not "Essentials"

While American Aviators are demonstrating across several airports. Canadians are demonstrating on avcanada. The true laughing stock
American and European pilots. Even in the low cost airlines.

BUT pilots in those parts of the world really engage within the union and the company. When we see that some Canadian pilots complains but have no interest in voting when they need to vote for important things within the company. We have the leaders that we deserve and it is sending a strong signal to the union leaders to not do too much. And a strong signal to management that everybody is happy since the Union don't say anything.
Also the fact that Union member are accessing management position within the company after working for the union is a huge conflict of interest and should absolutly be banned. But nobody is talking about it neither.
So as a working group, we really need to engage within our union, all of us and work in some extense with other unions.
It seems that Canadian Union are mixing their role of representation for the best interest or the workers to a link between the company and the workers. It is really not the same things.

Also I am not sure I would believe the situation in the Us would open for Canadian pilots. The increase in wages is due to a lack of pilots. If Canadian pilots are flooding the US market, those increases will stop. So I guess the pilot union are pushing really hard to not make anybody coming to the US.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

lenaumade wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:58 am
firstofficer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:02 am

American and European pilots. Even in the low cost airlines.

BUT pilots in those parts of the world really engage within the union and the company. When we see that some Canadian pilots complains but have no interest in voting when they need to vote for important things within the company. We have the leaders that we deserve and it is sending a strong signal to the union leaders to not do too much. And a strong signal to management that everybody is happy since the Union don't say anything.
Also the fact that Union member are accessing management position within the company after working for the union is a huge conflict of interest and should absolutly be banned. But nobody is talking about it neither.
So as a working group, we really need to engage within our union, all of us and work in some extense with other unions.
It seems that Canadian Union are mixing their role of representation for the best interest or the workers to a link between the company and the workers. It is really not the same things.

Also I am not sure I would believe the situation in the Us would open for Canadian pilots. The increase in wages is due to a lack of pilots. If Canadian pilots are flooding the US market, those increases will stop. So I guess the pilot union are pushing really hard to not make anybody coming to the US.

That is a point to make however if the US opened up to Canadian pilots the total heading down would be essentially a drop in the bucket. I doubt it would have an appreciable effect on their WAWCONS. Plus, I would say that it could be mutually beneficial to US pilots trying to get that coveted 1500 hr ATPL as they could have more opportunities north of the border. The real enemy here is the industry lobbyists on both sides of the border trying to prevent WAWCONS from going up on either side.

FlightInstructionGTA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlightInstructionGTA »

A difference between Canadian Union ALPA or ACPA. The US ALPA are lobbying directly the government. The Canadian union are not.
So if ALPA US strongly lobby to not make Canadian Pilot come, then it will weight in the balance.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Blueontop wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:47 pm Plus, I would say that it could be mutually beneficial to US pilots trying to get that coveted 1500 hr ATPL as they could have more opportunities north of the border.
That could be a great selling point!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”