Taildragger Stuck in a Rut

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Taildragger Stuck in a Rut

Post by pelmet »

Was talking to a friend today and he was telling me about a guy that keeps on needing to overhaul the engine on his taildragger. The first one was due to corrosion issues due to aircraft inactivity. The third one was some sort of a bounced landing. But the second one was a bit interesting.

He had gotten himself in a situation where he was off the taxiway but trying to get back onto it and one or both of the wheels was in a depression that was significant. Apparently, he added full or near full power and nosed over. While the details are not known, I suspect that he did not move the control stick fully aft when adding power. I wonder if he was using full aft stick during his run-ups and forgot during the incident or was just never in the habit of doing this anyways.

Unless there is a reason not to, best in taildraggers to always have the tendency to hold that stick aft during ground ops, especially whenever there could be high power such as engine start and run-up. Then it is less likely to forget when stuck in a rut.....or when transitioning to a new taildragger that is more sensitive than the one you have been flying.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”