Pilots and delays

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pilots and delays

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

Hello

Thinking about applying to Flair.

How are the schedules?

Do pilots do a lot of sitting ?

What's the upgrade timeline like ?

TIA
---------- ADS -----------

hoewad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Pilots and delays

Post by hoewad »

might be a shock to you:

the pilots actually do a lot of sitting, can't imagine anyone can fly a 737 while standing.

:lol:

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

haha. nice.

i mean the rolling delays that passengers endure.....do the crews also wait or are they informed in advance ?

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

Lol. Crews are always the last to know anything.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

bob99 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:55 am Lol. Crews are always the last to know anything.
As sad as it is, often the ramp crew knows about any delays before us up front.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

doiwannabeapilot wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:55 am Hello

Thinking about applying to Flair.

How are the schedules?

Do pilots do a lot of sitting ?

What's the upgrade timeline like ?

TIA
I encourage you to apply, getting in early will have a lasting positive impact on your career lifestyle as we have a seniority based bidding system and are expanding rapidly.

Schedules are hit and miss. We recently went from a manual schedule that took a team of people several weeks to build, to an online bid system called NavBlue. The schedule you receive is entirely dependent on your relative seniority at your base, how you bid, and what flights get allocated to the training department which at the moment is quite high.

Ideally you sit for 80 credit hours a month in an aeroplane. But if you're junior, you can easily spend the month sitting on reserve. As the bases grow and the destinations available grow, it will become easier to sit less away from the airport, unless you like sitting in which case you can bid reserve, and sit wherever you want within 90 minutes of the gate. Changes to the schedule do happen "on the fly" and knowing the CARs duty regs, and CBA are helpful in this. I think I've had 1 flight canceled day of in the past 6 months, I've had my check in time pushed back a few times, but nothing that ruined my day. In fact having your check in pushed back often results in a considerably better paycheque.

The upgrade timeline is totally dependent on what experience you come with and what work you are willing to put in. If you came with 2000 hours and no jet time, you could reasonably expect to wait 3 years give or take a bit. If you have 2000 hours PIC on the 777 or A380 you can upgrade on day 1. There is nobody getting a free pass here, the upgrade process is extremely challenging involving multiple steps, at the moment it's geared heavily towards high time jet pilots learning the Max. Once the 15 000 pool dries up, they will change the process to accommodate lower experience levels, but as of today the failure rate is high. The standards are set where they are and they don't move based on need of pilots.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

bob99 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:55 am Lol. Crews are always the last to know anything.
Lol, how true. Was just on a Jazz plane in YYZ today and the passengers got a cancellation notice across our phones before the flight crew was informed.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

YYZ is a disaster right now. Ramp crew quitting faster than they be hired, CATSA delays, customs delays, runway construction (could have done that over the past 2 years when things were quiet?) Idiotic, pointless COVID measures still in place, etc.

Yep when there’s a flight cancelation I usually find out first from the Air Canada app. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:52 pm YYZ is a disaster right now. Ramp crew quitting faster than they be hired, CATSA delays, customs delays, runway construction (could have done that over the past 2 years when things were quiet?) Idiotic, pointless COVID measures still in place, etc.

Yep when there’s a flight cancelation I usually find out first from the Air Canada app. :rolleyes:
CYYZ is an unmitigated disaster. Less passenger volume than ore-COVID yet an operational nightmare.

You don’t schedule flights if you don’t have staff. You don’t advertise customs services and then fail to process resulting volume using ridiculous metrics and procedures conjured up by some health expert or policy wonk in YOW.

Major runway reconstruction during peak season (add YUL to this list).

Escalators don’t work. CATSA understaffed. Passenger security lanes closed.

I guess nobody bothered to plan for recovery…..

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

rudder wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:06 am Escalators don’t work.
Seems like things haven't changed since my Jazz days back in 2012-2014. It was a rare occasion to walk through T1 and not come across one if not more escalators out of service. I always assumed it was a scam the maintenance guys were running to justify their own employment.

Return to “Flair Airlines”