Voyageur Insulting Ad

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Voyageur Insulting Ad

Post by scdriver »

https://pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot-Job ... ur-Airways

Who the hell is gonna work a 2 month rotation for $41k a year on a CL65?! AND they want 2000 hrs, type rating and time on type. What a joke.

EDIT: You’d hope the base salary for that job would be more than they’re offering for a 500hr king air fo…but no.
https://pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot-Job ... ur-Airways
---------- ADS -----------

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Voyageur Insulting Ad

Post by Chaxterium »

I worked for Voyageur from 2008-2015. Loved it there. I started at $36k in the right seat of the Dash 7. My actual salary was quite a bit higher due to the overseas bonus.

I know Voyageur has changed quite a bit since I left but I imagine the $41k they're advertising is strictly the domestic pay. I'm quite confident the overseas pay would be quite a bit higher.

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

Chaxterium wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:27 pm I worked for Voyageur from 2008-2015. Loved it there. I started at $36k in the right seat of the Dash 7. My actual salary was quite a bit higher due to the overseas bonus.

I know Voyageur has changed quite a bit since I left but I imagine the $41k they're advertising is strictly the domestic pay. I'm quite confident the overseas pay would be quite a bit higher.
According to the Bank of Canada inflation calculator, $36k in 2008 is equivalent to $47,605.68 today. But the CRJ has half as many engines as the DHC7, so I guess that justifies less pay. And it’s a good thing that the Bank of Canada has never underreported inflation!

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

Chaxterium wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:27 pm I worked for Voyageur from 2008-2015. Loved it there. I started at $36k in the right seat of the Dash 7. My actual salary was quite a bit higher due to the overseas bonus.

The $41k it says is base salary for the overseas work, and there are other incentives to bump up the pay, but unless it’s another $41k then that’s still BS. I suppose it could be that much, but given how low the base is I wouldn’t count on it

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Another example of how much of a shitshow Canadian aviation is!

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

1. Hey at least they posted the pay - so anyone with any self respect shouldn't apply.

2. Still more than starting pay for RJ FOs at Jazz... :lol:

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

thepoors wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:10 pm Still more than starting pay for RJ FOs at Jazz... :lol:
Yep. And that's only working 6 months of the year. Pay should be better but keep in mind that this salary is based on roughly 6 months of work per year. 8 week on, 8 weeks off.

itaserb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by itaserb »

Chaxterium wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:38 am
thepoors wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:10 pm Still more than starting pay for RJ FOs at Jazz... :lol:
Yep. And that's only working 6 months of the year. Pay should be better but keep in mind that this salary is based on roughly 6 months of work per year. 8 week on, 8 weeks off.
If you look at it this way medevac pilots also work 6 months per year and still make more than that. Plus mileage bonus and retention bonuses. If I had a choice between going to Africa or staying here while working 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, I would take medevac job. Both of them are challenging and ridiculously underpaid for the work they expect you to do.

Putting 1500 hours requirements for 705 operators with mandatory ATPL would increase the pay across Canadian aviation industry. However TC would never go for it especially when AC is hiring Seneca grads with 250h.

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

AC isn't hiring anyone with 250 hours. stop being ridiculous

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

And this thread children, is why companies do not typically post salary.

Nothing like some entitled little snot who just passed their CpL written and flight test ( each on the third try) with 200 hrs…..and feels they should jump into a $100k a year job to start.

You dont like the salary offered. Dont apply.
But coming on here and saying an ad is insulting because you feel you are worth more really does discourage employers from posting salaries….except those, of course that offer FO starting salaries of 200k.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

trey kule wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:41 pm And this thread children, is why companies do not typically post salary.

Nothing like some entitled little snot who just passed their CpL written and flight test ( each on the third try) with 200 hrs…..and feels they should jump into a $100k a year job to start.

But coming on here and saying an ad is insulting because you feel you are worth more really does discourage employers from posting salaries….except those, of course that offer FO starting salaries of 200k.
Did you read the ad? It’s not for a fresh cpl, it’s for someone with 2000hrs, a CL65 type rating and a few hundred hours on type. If it were for a 250hr f/o on a king air, I would agree with you but come on, you really think that’s a good wage for experience required and working conditions? Also, am I an entitled little snot that just got his cpl? Nope, fully believe in working hard for the seat you’re in. Did I do that? Yep. Am I gonna apply? Nope I’m not a jet driver. But with close to that experience on other types of airplanes do I think I’m worth more. Sure as shit do and anyone with the experience they want who thinks they’re worth that much is why employers are able to offer that much

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

trey kule wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:41 pm And this thread children, is why companies do not typically post salary.

How can you attempt to call out "entitled" pilots when you are exaggerating your opinions. No one is saying everyone deserves 100k. However yes the deserve more than McD worker. Employers are discouraged because they all SEVERELY underpay, but people like you love to blame new young pilots.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

The only one out of touch here is you Trey.

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

Yet, who is to say that this is not a great job for someone, and they are very happy there, and stay 2 decades.

Location, hours, working conditions, happy boss, all those factors are more important to some, than just the pay. Not saying it always is, but it is a huge consideration when looking for a job. Personally, I would not work at some crap hole, with a terrible boss, flying junk planes, on night shift, for any amount of money. Ten million dollars a year, would be drastically too low of pay, to put up with that BS.

Whitney
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Fair enough. Point taken Exaggeration for effect.

But the real point I was trying to make is that there is a huge clamour and demand on here for employers’ to state their pay.

Then, as in the OP’s case, if they dont like it, they title the thread as an insulting Ad.

Maybe entitlement is not the right word.
What best describes someone who posts a thread title like that?
And does anyone think that will motivate other companies to post their pay?
Pile on Voyager folks. Then wonder why your demands for companies to post their salaries go unanswered.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you really want to exert pressure on firms to post pay in job ads, simply don't apply for the ones without. Your eloquent silence on the subject will convey the message quickly and efficiently.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

On a related note: I see Voyageur has also posted for a Dash 8 CA in YHM, 80k/yr. Anyone have any info on their Purolator cargo ops? Mon-Fri gig? Back to base daily?

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

trey kule wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:59 am But the real point I was trying to make is that there is a huge clamour and demand on here for employers’ to state their pay...

...And does anyone think that will motivate other companies to post their pay?
The other part of this of course is that active posters on Avcanada represent a miniscule percentage of the working pilot population, so why would any serious company change their practices on the complaints of a few members who post on a website. As popular as Avcanada seems, I would say only maybe a third of pilots I know actually look at the site, and a third it doesn't even pierce their bubble of awareness. The remaining third being aware but apathetic of the opinions expressed within. Of those who actively look at the site, less than a percentile post, and an even smaller fraction complain about job postings. Most that I know who visit the site do so solely for the job ads, and of them, most are just happy there are job ads.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I'm simply stunned about how many job postings there are, which seems to be increasing all the time. Its like people have forgotten what the Bad ol' days were like for finding work as a pilot.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

itaserb wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:27 amHowever TC would never go for it especially when AC is hiring Seneca grads with 250h.
That's Jazz. Not AC.

itaserb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by itaserb »

Chaxterium wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:37 pm
itaserb wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:27 amHowever TC would never go for it especially when AC is hiring Seneca grads with 250h.
That's Jazz. Not AC.
Oh I’m sorry. I should clarify some things. Jazz is hiring 250 hours guys and most of them will join AC in 3-4 years once they have ATPL and 2000 hours. However it’s not because Jazz wants to have that program with Seneca but AC would like those young pilots to be in AC express. Underpay them and raise them as they want with “no bad habits”.

Return to “Employment Forum”