Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: North Shore, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

Post Reply
billfoster
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 07, 2022 3:40 am

Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by billfoster »

I'm currently in the Navy and have been controlling for 11 years. Seeing as how the FAA got rid of the Phoenix program, I'm interested in getting a controlling job in Canada when it's time for me to leave the Navy. Any info would be great!
---------- ADS -----------
 
JetReath
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by JetReath »

Unfortunately in order to apply you must either be a canadian citizen or a permanent resident.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:43 am

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

JetReath wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:53 pm Unfortunately in order to apply you must either be a canadian citizen or a permanent resident.
Or have a work visa issues by Canada. Basically the "right to live and work in Canada". Some industries offer sponsorship visas for foreign workers, but I don't think NAV Canada (a private company that's in charge of Canadian ATC) does that.
---------- ADS -----------
 
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10856
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Hangry and crankypated

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by photofly »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:59 am
JetReath wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:53 pm Unfortunately in order to apply you must either be a canadian citizen or a permanent resident.
Or have a work visa issues by Canada. Basically the "right to live and work in Canada". Some industries offer sponsorship visas for foreign workers, but I don't think NAV Canada (a private company that's in charge of Canadian ATC) does that.
From the NavCanada jobs portal:
To make sure we’re hiring top notch candidates, our recruitment and training processes are rigorous and highly competitive. To apply for a career as an Air Traffic Controller or Flight Service Specialist, you must meet the following basic requirements prior to applying:
• be 18 years or older,
• have a high school diploma, or equivalency,
be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
• be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption
---------- ADS -----------
 
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
User avatar
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:43 am

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

photofly wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:05 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:59 am
JetReath wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:53 pm Unfortunately in order to apply you must either be a canadian citizen or a permanent resident.
Or have a work visa issues by Canada. Basically the "right to live and work in Canada". Some industries offer sponsorship visas for foreign workers, but I don't think NAV Canada (a private company that's in charge of Canadian ATC) does that.
From the NavCanada jobs portal:
To make sure we’re hiring top notch candidates, our recruitment and training processes are rigorous and highly competitive. To apply for a career as an Air Traffic Controller or Flight Service Specialist, you must meet the following basic requirements prior to applying:
• be 18 years or older,
• have a high school diploma, or equivalency,
be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
• be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption

Well, that's as clear as it gets. Thanks photofly
---------- ADS -----------
 
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10856
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Hangry and crankypated

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by photofly »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:20 am
photofly wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:05 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:59 am

Or have a work visa issues by Canada. Basically the "right to live and work in Canada". Some industries offer sponsorship visas for foreign workers, but I don't think NAV Canada (a private company that's in charge of Canadian ATC) does that.
From the NavCanada jobs portal:
To make sure we’re hiring top notch candidates, our recruitment and training processes are rigorous and highly competitive. To apply for a career as an Air Traffic Controller or Flight Service Specialist, you must meet the following basic requirements prior to applying:
• be 18 years or older,
• have a high school diploma, or equivalency,
be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
• be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption

Well, that's as clear as it gets. Thanks photofly
No worries.

I'm curious. Everyone knows that a Canadian or other foreigner can't just turn up in the USA and get a job - you need a green card, which is nearly impossible to get. Is it not common knowledge in the US that it works the other way too - an American can't just rock up in Canada - a foreign and sovereign nation - and get a job?
---------- ADS -----------
 
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
User avatar
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:43 am

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

photofly wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:26 am No worries.

I'm curious. Everyone knows that a Canadian or other foreigner can't just turn up in the USA and get a job - you need a green card, which is nearly impossible to get. Is it not common knowledge in the US that it works the other way too - an American can't just rock up in Canada and get a job?
It very much depends on the job they're seeking. Thousands of Canadians work in the US, especially the ones that live in border cities, as engineers, teachers, nurses, etc. It was REALLY easy for my father (Canadian P.Eng) to get a job in the States. He got his US work VISA in weeks and worked in Michigan for more than 10 years.

Again, depends on the job you're looking for. If they need you, they'll give you a VISA. It's not outside the realm of possibility to see that privilege be extended to experienced Canadian pilots with FAA ATPLs.
---------- ADS -----------
 
GBWhatsapp94
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by GBWhatsapp94 »

I'm currently in the Navy and have been controlling for 11 years. Seeing as how the FAA got rid of the Phoenix program, I'm interested in getting a controlling job in Canada when it's time for me to leave the Navy. Any info would be great!

---------- ADS -----------
---------- ADS -----------
 
terminaldude
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by terminaldude »

Well......Unless you are injected with the experimental Vaxx (Navy.....so probably forced to), you have zero chance. I was forced to retire after 30+ years as a Terminal Controller because I refused to be coerced into...GET VAXXED OR GET FIRED.......So I retired. The ATS system is completely F##KED in Canada.......Low on staff for years and "Managers" that have NO CLUE.....just Yes men and Women. Good luck to you but it is NOT a Utopia and the pay, while higher than some jobs, is NOT so great for 24/7 with ENORMOUS amounts of Over Time. If you have no family and don't mind giving your life away to a Company that will throw you away at a drop of a hat.....GO FOR IT.
---------- ADS -----------
 
terminaldude
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by terminaldude »

photofly wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:26 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:20 am
photofly wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:05 am

From the NavCanada jobs portal:

Well, that's as clear as it gets. Thanks photofly
No worries.

I'm curious. Everyone knows that a Canadian or other foreigner can't just turn up in the USA and get a job - you need a green card, which is nearly impossible to get. Is it not common knowledge in the US that it works the other way too - an American can't just rock up in Canada - a foreign and sovereign nation - and get a job?
ZERO exemptions excepted .......So you will need to be INJECTED.
---------- ADS -----------
 
GBAppss
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:31 am
Contact:

Re: Looking for info for Canadian ATC jobs for American controllers.

Post by GBAppss »

I'm currently in the Navy and have been controlling for 11 years. Seeing as how the FAA got rid of the Phoenix program, I'm interested in getting a controlling job in Canada when it's time for me to leave the Navy. Any info would be great!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “ATS Question Forum”