Bait and switch…

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Bait and switch…

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

This has happened a few times in my career and only in Canada has it happened. Would like to hear instances where others have taken jobs or contracts only to find themselves doing something night and day from what was agreed upon. I have a few stories like that would like to hear others as well.
---------- ADS -----------

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Bait and switch…

Post by Pat Richard »

I mentioned a few in a previous post, but I've had anything from aca duties attempted to be dumped on me(when I specifically said no, because of no difference in pay) to 80% of agreed conditions not there from when I showed up, with the rest attempted to be pulled away after 6 weeks in, a few "oh yeah, you're on nights BTW. The schedule changed".

Others include surprise crewhouse cohabitation after specifically negotiating the opposite, return flights being suggested paid by me after I was on site in buttphuk north, being landed into a surprise crewchief position(s) when I walked into facilities, not wanting to pay invoice amounts because it went over what the daily rate was due to excessive hours always caused by a previously neglected POS airplane with no parts on hand, etc, etc...

All contract gigs.

Anyway, NUMEROUS occasions and I haven't even begun to mention the bs of how many wanted logbook maintenance performed to accomadate there manager meeting budget promises.

Doesn't look like much has changed. I see Suxons ad for Windsor and I just shake my head. To be fair though, that kind of crap is what old Tommy boy is known for right from the beginning.

People are seriously touched to work for him or any similar offer, of which most are the same because they have to at least match the deepest bottom feeder.

Overall, just a shit industry I wish I never had gotten into.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:23 am I mentioned a few in a previous post, but I've had anything from aca duties attempted to be dumped on me(when I specifically said no, because of no difference in pay) to 80% of agreed conditions not there from when I showed up, with the rest attempted to be pulled away after 6 weeks in, a few "oh yeah, you're on nights BTW. The schedule changed".

Others include surprise crewhouse cohabitation after specifically negotiating the opposite, return flights being suggested paid by me after I was on site in buttphuk north, being landed into a surprise crewchief position(s) when I walked into facilities, not wanting to pay invoice amounts because it went over what the daily rate was due to excessive hours always caused by a previously neglected POS airplane with no parts on hand, etc, etc...

All contract gigs.

Anyway, NUMEROUS occasions and I haven't even begun to mention the bs of how many wanted logbook maintenance performed to accomadate there manager meeting budget promises.

Doesn't look like much has changed. I see Suxons ad for Windsor and I just shake my head. To be fair though, that kind of crap is what old Tommy boy is known for right from the beginning.

People are seriously touched to work for him or any similar offer, of which most are the same because they have to at least match the deepest bottom feeder.

Sounds all too familiar, I just dodged a bullet recently. Was being offered work from a company that a long time “friend” has worked at for several years only to find out his plan was to quit leaving me holding the bag (likely to save face with the owner). He’s getting out of aviation too, I’ve never been so sober to how cold this industry is…. I have several other stories of signing onto a job that was promised that turned into three times the workload of original discussions etc. I hate aviation in Canada and everything about it…

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:24 pm
Pat Richard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:23 am I mentioned a few in a previous post, but I've had anything from aca duties attempted to be dumped on me(when I specifically said no, because of no difference in pay) to 80% of agreed conditions not there from when I showed up, with the rest attempted to be pulled away after 6 weeks in, a few "oh yeah, you're on nights BTW. The schedule changed".

All contract gigs.

Sounds all too familiar, I just dodged a bullet recently. Was being offered work from a company that a long time “friend” has worked at for several years only to find out his plan was to quit leaving me holding the bag (likely to save face with the owner). He’s getting out of aviation too, I’ve never been so sober to how cold this industry is…. I have several other stories of signing onto a job that was promised that turned into three times the workload of original discussions etc. I hate aviation in Canada and everything about it…
The "friend(s)" and aviation part made me pause and think.

Upon reflection, for me anyway, after multiple decades in this business I cant say I found many people that I wanted to socialize with outside of work.

Once I got tired of going to a pub and having to sit through incessant shop talk and backstabbing, the whole "friend" thing with mechs just dissapated and contact out of work also.

Early on,the intensityof backstabbing was an eye opener. When I finally put together that most of the people around me doing it had no life outside their jobs, it made sense.
For me it always a job to fund what I really enjoyed doing.

I still see to this day the self confidence/lack of life outside aviation when I annually/biannually meet up with former work aquaintances for a beer.

Always trying to tear down anybody who is potentially competition to them, bragging about how smart are/have been and how stupid the other guys is/was, and how if they weren't with said company/job nothing would get done because nobody knows what theyre doing, etc, etc.

Anytime I have heard from these types regarding "work" there has always been an angle that benefitted them, and had non disclosed pitfalls for me that I was able to determine independently.

Sucks to always be suspicous, but thats from lessons learned from multiple experiences. I generally trust no one in this business and vett as much as possible.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:29 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:24 pm

All contract gigs.

The "friend(s)" and aviation part made me pause and think.

Upon reflection, for me anyway, after multiple decades in this business I cant say I found many people that I wanted to socialize with outside of work.

Once I got tired of going to a pub and having to sit through incessant shop talk and backstabbing, the whole "friend" thing with mechs just dissapated and contact out of work also.

Early on,the intensityof backstabbing was an eye opener. When I finally put together that most of the people around me doing it had no life outside their jobs, it made sense.
For me it always a job to fund what I really enjoyed doing.

I still see to this day the self confidence/lack of life outside aviation when I annually/biannually meet up with former work aquaintances for a beer.

Always trying to tear down anybody who is potentially competition to them, bragging about how smart are/have been and how stupid the other guys is/was, and how if they weren't with said company/job nothing would get done because nobody knows what theyre doing, etc, etc.

Anytime I have heard from these types regarding "work" there has always been an angle that benefitted them, and had non disclosed pitfalls for me that I was able to determine independently.

Sucks to always be suspicous, but thats from lessons learned from multiple experiences. I generally trust no one in this business and vett as much as possible.
It’s sad but true… I agree with everything you’ve said, so was a little more lucky, I have a hand full of close friends I can genuinely say I trust and call friends, but it’s still every man for themselves. I think once people are in competition or in mid management things change in relationships fast.

Return to “Maintenance”