Private Training or Confederation College

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

travelisfun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Private Training or Confederation College

Post by travelisfun »

Hi all. I'm 21 years old and I've recently graduated with my degree. I'm broke but I don't have any debt and I'm thinking about my best options weighing time and money.

The aviation program at Confed costs quite a bit cheaper given that it's subsidized by the government. Also because it's a diploma program, I can receive at least $10k in grant money which I don't have to pay back. The problem is the program is more than 2 years long and I've heard rumours that students have been slow to get to fly.

The other option is to do it at my local flight school. I will not be able to receive any grant money, but I can get loan money from the provincial and federal government. I can probably get my CPL done in just over a year.

I do not live at home so living costs are about the same no matter where I go local or to Confed.

What seems to be the better option?
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Private Training or Confederation College

Post by rudder »

Confed. 20 months. 36k including rent.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

It's way longer than 20 months even pre Covid.

Private is more expensive but think of the opportunity cost of getting into the market 1-2 years later.

Daigo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Daigo »

Actually, you can get some sort of grants/loans doing it privately. But it all starts after you complete PPL. And assuming you're in Ontario, the private school has to be registered as a private career college (most of them are) :)

Return to “Flight Training”