"Published Payscale"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

"Published Payscale"

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

So this ad says that the payscale is published. I've seen this in other job ads, but I usually can't find the "published" payscale, including this time. Does anyone know where to find it?
---------- ADS -----------

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: "Published Payscale"

Post by flyingcanuck »

wow - Captain incomes ranged from $90,000+ for an entry level Captain, to $140,000+ for our most senior Captain. Qualified candidates bringing a current and valid PPC on type may be eligible for signing bonus.

More than the regionals

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Yup. At some levels a free market actually works!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by contactapproved »

flyingcanuck wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:26 pm wow - Captain incomes ranged from $90,000+ for an entry level Captain, to $140,000+ for our most senior Captain. Qualified candidates bringing a current and valid PPC on type may be eligible for signing bonus.

More than the regionals
Those are 2019 numbers I believe. A buddy there says 5+ year capts were probably closer to 150-160k/yr now depending on miles flown a month. Not bad considering you only work half the year.

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

contactapproved wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:41 am Not bad considering you only work half the year.
Please don’t perpetuate this mentality! Working equal days on and days off, but long hours, is still full time work! My wife is a nurse, she has coworkers who work 4 on/4 off 12 hour shifts… nobody talks about how nurses only work half the year! A typical 9-5 job works 80 hours in two weeks. A 7 on/7 off rotation with 12 hour shifts works 84 hours in the same two weeks.

That being said, I know there are lots of people who like their rotations, and the flexibility it gives them by having their days off in a single block; just don’t think that somehow they aren’t working full time!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Col. Panic wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:00 am
contactapproved wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:41 am Not bad considering you only work half the year.
Please don’t perpetuate this mentality! Working equal days on and days off, but long hours, is still full time work! My wife is a nurse, she has coworkers who work 4 on/4 off 12 hour shifts… nobody talks about how nurses only work half the year! A typical 9-5 job works 80 hours in two weeks. A 7 on/7 off rotation with 12 hour shifts works 84 hours in the same two weeks.

That being said, I know there are lots of people who like their rotations, and the flexibility it gives them by having their days off in a single block; just don’t think that somehow they aren’t working full time!
+1 !!!

Most people would consider it a horrible job. Schedule is brutal. You do need your time off to recover, and then only have a few days of 'useful' time off, before it starts all over again.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

Col. Panic wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:00 am

I was mainly referring to days required for duty. Not on property or tied to a phone. Should have said that a little more clearly.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

That’s part of it…. but not all of it.

I bet those higher salaries are only achievable with absolutely punishing days—as mileage based pay is supposed to do.

Just like those “owner operator” truck drivers who you see blasting past you even though you’re already doing ten over.

I thought most operators got rid of it. I guess not.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

‘Bob’ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:49 pm That’s part of it…. but not all of it.

I bet those higher salaries are only achievable with absolutely punishing days—as mileage based pay is supposed to do.

Just like those “owner operator” truck drivers who you see blasting past you even though you’re already doing ten over.

Yes we’re talking. 20,000 mile months to achieve that. Still alive and well in Manitoba Medevac

contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:24 pm

Yes we’re talking. 20,000 mile months to achieve that. Still alive and well in Manitoba Medevac
Wrong. There are some 5+yr making around 120k base rate whether they fly or not. One of the guys I know flew around 800 hrs last year(unlike an operator across the field that pushes 1200 every year and pays less than half as much.) Add in the various bonuses and a couple thousand extra miles per month and you're in that range. I believe they also just increased their per diem program substantially. Unlike most 703 outfits around this country it sounds like they are actually trying to be proactive in making it hard for folks to leave even going as far as pulling in their pilot group and asking them "whats it gonna take" style questions... Asking pilots what they want, such an odd concept??? I guess in Canada it's not such a long stretch to have that mentality of every 703/704 trying to bend you over.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

contactapproved wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:35 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:24 pm

Wrong. There are some 5+yr making around 120k base rate whether they fly or not. One of the guys I know flew around 800 hrs last year(unlike an operator across the field that pushes 1200 every year and pays less than half as much.) Add in the various bonuses and a couple thousand extra miles per month and you're in that range. I believe they also just increased their per diem program substantially. Unlike most 703 outfits around this country it sounds like they are actually trying to be proactive in making it hard for folks to leave even going as far as pulling in their pilot group and asking them "whats it gonna take" style questions... Asking pilots what they want, such an odd concept??? I guess in Canada it's not such a long stretch to have that mentality of every 703/704 trying to bend you over.
5+ yr is like 250 years in Manitoba medevac world. My guess is there is a training captain/chief pilot title that goes along with that base pay in addition to flying what is still an insane number of hours all around the clock. Nothing like sending out emails to pilots to get their recurrent CBT done at 0200LCL in Lynn Lake.

What does a two year employee that’s upgraded make? What would they make if they didn’t fly?

Because these are the guys who are headed to even Calm Air and Morningstar… never mind Jazz, Encore, Porter and WS…. not those with Stockholm Syndrome.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Probably means published internally as opposed to just negotiated individually.

kikwon89
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kikwon89 »

Recently hired,

44K starting for FO as of June 2022

Return to “General Comments”