Any hiring plans this year at all?

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Any hiring plans this year at all?

Post by goleafsgo »

Does transat have a commuting policy?
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

An official policy? No, and it's currently a point of contention. There are a lot of commuters on the roster, and we're trying to push for improvements, which in conjunction would benefit the company in terms of retention.
That being said, it's an easier airline than some others to commute with. Depending on where you live, you'll be using reciprocal JS and myIDTravel as we don't have much in the way of scheduled domestic routes, but this is changing and growing by the month with the paradigm shift. The block schedule is good, there are some provisions to cancel and swap DH's to different destinations (aka your home) and a few other little helping hands, but they don't always work as well in practice, and desperately need more pilot-friendly flexibility.
Schedule-wise, you can pack a few long pairings together so you only have to make your trip a few times a month. This isn't compatible with reserve however.
So, it works, but it sucks. An official policy and program would be life-changing for the roster and the recruiting dept would then have the easiest job in the company!
If you're not a commuter, TS is a fantastic place to work.

Latitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Latitude »

We are allowed to cancel hotel rooms, DH flights and bank them(30% of value only) so we can use them at a later time. For example, if you have a DH from YYZ to YVR but live in YUL, you can ask them to replace the DH with YUL YVR. You can ask for hotel rooms in YYZ using your commuter bank instead of paying with your own money. I’ve been changing DHs several times pre pandemic and this month and it works flawlessly actually. So yes there is room for improvement (as always) but it’s still pretty good when you combine this with bidding long pairings outside of base (so lots of per diems + accommodation paid for by the company).

For example, as a 2018 YYZ hire commuting, I’ve had to spend one night in YYZ only this month.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Just too clear a few things up about the commuting policy at TS.

It is an official policy and it is included in the Policy Manual. It is not in the Collective Agreement.
The credit for cancellations of flights and hotels is 35%.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:31 am Just too clear a few things up about the commuting policy at TS.

It is an official policy and it is included in the Policy Manual. It is not in the Collective Agreement.
What does that mean 35% of value? You would be responsible to pay for the other 65% of the cost of whatever flight they change you to? And does it have to be a transat flight or would they book you on AC or WJ if that’s all that serves where you live?

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:31 am Just too clear a few things up about the commuting policy at TS.

What does that mean 35% of value? You would be responsible to pay for the other 65% of the cost of whatever flight they change you to? And does it have to be a transat flight or would they book you on AC or WJ if that’s all that serves where you live?
I believe what they mean is that if you don't end up using a scheduled DH or hotel that the company is paying for. The company credits you 35% of the cost and places it into some account you can use at your discretion.

You live in YUL but based in YYZ. Company deadheads to YUL to operate, but you cancel the DH because you're already in YUL. Company gives you 35% of the cost of the flight towards future use.

Latitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Latitude »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:17 am
goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 am

I believe what they mean is that if you don't end up using a scheduled DH or hotel that the company is paying for. The company credits you 35% of the cost and places it into some account you can use at your discretion.

You live in YUL but based in YYZ. Company deadheads to YUL to operate, but you cancel the DH because you're already in YUL. Company gives you 35% of the cost of the flight towards future use.
Exactly.

And you can use any airline. You pick your flight

redblue1010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by redblue1010 »

Has anyone heard anything since they posting went up?

SkyBagPiper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyBagPiper »

It’s pretty quiet. I was going to ask the same thing. I guess a lot are on vacation now and/or gearing up for a possible busy hiring fall organizing ground schools/sim dates etc. With lack of staff, it’s going to take longer.

unmaskedemperor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by unmaskedemperor »

What is the expected upgrade time to captain at TS?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The sims are full getting all existing guys back online. First crack at new roster additions are going to the cancelled GS members from back in spring 2020. August GS's are starting to see some of them being fit in. The remaining will get called for Sept, then it'll be new hires from there out. Midterm at least 200 pilots in the next 3 years, very conservatively, to cover new tails plus attrition. Much more in the long term with fleet plans.
Upgrade? Very hard to predict. It'll depend entirely on how well the business plan and route expansion pans out. Somewhere between 3 and 10 years. ;) Just enjoy the European layovers.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

unmaskedemperor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:47 pm What is the expected upgrade time to captain at TS?
If ones sole purpose if wanting a quick upgrade, do not go to TS. Even before the pandemic we were looking at about 5 years, now is anyones guess. TS is a life style company which is awesome, but movement is not very quick unless they all of a sudden decide to expand the fleet by 20 tails.

Latitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Latitude »

First groundschool in August, already filled.

redblue1010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by redblue1010 »

Latitude wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:01 pm First groundschool in August, already filled.
Have you heard of interviews being conducted yet or all candidates from before/other?

toolowflaps
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by toolowflaps »

Last edited by toolowflaps on Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

flyinhigh wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:54 am
unmaskedemperor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:47 pm What is the expected upgrade time to captain at TS?
If ones sole purpose if wanting a quick upgrade, do not go to TS. Even before the pandemic we were looking at about 5 years, now is anyones guess. TS is a life style company which is awesome, but movement is not very quick unless they all of a sudden decide to expand the fleet by 20 tails.
Planning 60 tails.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:52 pm
Planning 60 tails.
I only see 10 aircraft currently on order from various sources online, but since you're at TS I'm guessing this is the plan internally? I'm asking out of curiosity, kudos to TS if that's the expansion plan

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

twa22 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:14 pm

Planning 60 tails.
I only see 10 aircraft currently on order from various sources online, but since you're at TS I'm guessing this is the plan internally? I'm asking out of curiosity, kudos to TS if that's the expansion plan
That's latest we have heard from management. Wide body fleet will be updated with newer aircraft and the narrow body fleet will continue to grow. I really like that they are pivoting quickly.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:06 pm
twa22 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:14 pm

Planning 60 tails.
That's latest we have heard from management. Wide body fleet will be updated with newer aircraft and the narrow body fleet will continue to grow. I really like that they are pivoting quickly.
That sounds fantastic, great to hear!

Return to “Air Transat”