Question: Flying over Guelph

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JCD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question: Flying over Guelph

Post by JCD »

Hi all,

I'm planning to do a VFR flight over the South end of Guelph, ON with some hanging around the area to take some photos.
For those not familiar with the area, this is close to the Waterloo International Airport (CYKF)
I'd be just outside the CYKF control zone but still probably close enough to be in the way of the IFR approach for runway 26.

What's the best way to go about it without getting in anyone's way?
1. Call Waterloo tower and let them know in advance?
2. Establish radio contact with tower and ask for permission to fly in the area?
3. Get flight following from Toronto to look out for potential conflict?

Any suggestions?
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Question: Flying over Guelph

Post by lownslow »

If you’re near but not in the CYKF control zone you technically don’t have to talk to them. I’d call them up, tell them what I was doing, and mention I’d stay on their frequency until finished. Don’t forget the courtesy sign-off when you’re done and leaving.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

In my experience YKF tower doesn't really care about anything just outside their zone. I was flying non transponder once (vintage plane) and had to go around them. I called up tower to let them know where/what I was doing and they still send a twin a few hundred feet off my nose. Lots of small tailwheel planes flying around Guelph non transponder.

However I'd still call them up and let them know what you are doing if you're within 1-2 NM of their zone.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you monitor the correct CTAF the tower can still contact you if you’re definitively in the way, and you can also keep an ear open for other local traffic.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

JCD wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:47 pm Hi all,

I'm planning to do a VFR flight over the South end of Guelph, ON with some hanging around the area to take some photos.
For those not familiar with the area, this is close to the Waterloo International Airport (CYKF)
I'd be just outside the CYKF control zone but still probably close enough to be in the way of the IFR approach for runway 26.

What's the best way to go about it without getting in anyone's way?
1. Call Waterloo tower and let them know in advance?
2. Establish radio contact with tower and ask for permission to fly in the area?
3. Get flight following from Toronto to look out for potential conflict?

Any suggestions?
I would do all 3 things you mentioned

JCD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JCD »

Thanks all for the answers!
Just to clarify, call up means actually calling them on the phone before departure, or just calling them on the radio?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I'd just call on the radio with your intentions. If you call on the phone they'll likely be confused why you're calling. No one calls on the phone before they fly into an airport. Why would you call on the phone when NOT flying into the airport.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Yeah, as Bede mentioned, just contact Tower when you're nearing their zone and tell them what you're up to. Then if they have any traffic leaving their zone towards your direction, they can make you and the departing traffic aware of each other's positions.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

As you fly, watch for traffic - always! As you fly toward an airport, monitor their frequency and form a mental image of the location of the aircraft you hear on the radio. Which way are they going? Exiting the control zone? Toward you? Altitude? Turn on strobes and landing light to make yourself more visible if you suspect traffic.

In the mean time, if you're not in controlled airspace, you're not required to be in radio contact with that ATC. If they have time, and it's not busy for them, sure call them (on the radio!) and tell them that you're working in the area. But, if their frequency is busy, do not call them. People inside their control zone need to communicate, and you should not tie up the frequency!

On a few occasions, I have exited an area, as I was uncomfortable with the amount of traffic, or its flow. Rare, but I have done it a couple of times. If you're uneasy, exit the situation safely. If you're nervous about entering a situation, consider not undertaking that flight. Otherwise, use the see and be seen, monitor [the radio frequency], and communicate as required rules the way everyone else is, so you fit in to what everyone else is expecting.

JCD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JCD »

Thanks everyone, great advice! Looking forward to the flight.

Return to “General Comments”