Becoming a pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Danxixi02
Rank 0
Rank 0

Becoming a pilot

Post by Danxixi02 »

Hi guys I am a university student heading to second year. I found that university is not my thing. I am thinking of quitting university and register in a flight school. I've always been interested in flying and aviation, is it a possible route for my future career? And what is the most difficult part in becoming a pilot? What is the hardest subject? How easy is it to find a job after getting an instructor rating?
---------- ADS -----------

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Becoming a pilot

Post by Flight94 »

My experience,

Becoming a pilot is easy. The exams are simple, all the way through to ATPL, and flying an aircraft is not difficult.

The hard part is the financial aspect. Not only expensive training, but low low wages for a few years once you get a job. No benefits, unscrupulous employers, likely have to relocate numerous times.

However if you get some good command time and an ATPL, these days there are many employment options. Most here will question whether or not any of those options are "good" but that's totally subjective.

I left a good career later on in life to "pursue the dream" and have no regrets.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Yes, it is a possible route for your career. Yes, it is rather easy to get a job after getting your instructor rating. As mentioned by Flight94, the most difficult part is coming up with the money for the training.

ICUP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ICUP »

The hardest thing in becoming a pilot is having a good attitude. Many pilots may have scored great in their tests but their attitude doesn’t allow them to move upwards in their careers. Some of them somehow make it and you will question why they fly for a living.

Second hardest thing, as mentioned here, is the cost of training and the misery you will experience at the beginning of your career. But for many, after moving forward to better wages, they say “it was worth it”, when in reality they could have rightfully earned more $$$.

Third hardest thing is using this forum. Many opinions and points of views will be thrown at you and you will leave more confused than before, albeit this forum could be used as the perfect representation of how much of a melting pot our beloved industry is!

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

The hardest part is the first 3-6 years IMO. It requires a lot of commitment in time and money, I know several people who started halfway and gave up after seeing the hill they have to climb other than flight training. If its a goal you want, decide that you will dedicate all your time to it. Fly as often as you can, study as often as you can. Thats all I can say!

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

This site was mentioned with all different opinions.
However, sometimes when lots of users come up with the same opinion on something or a company, there is a big part of truth.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

3-6 years of bad pay is optimistic. It’s more imo

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

Do it bro, its a great career. Pay is great, if your lucky like I am I was paid really good straight out of the gate, and pay is going up.
Don't listen to these negative AvCanada people. Just be smart about it. And I wouldn't recommend ever signing a bond. Your in prison basically for the bond period if you don't like the job

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Loading... wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:49 pm Do it bro, its a great career. Pay is great, if your lucky like I am I was paid really good straight out of the gate, and pay is going up.
Don't listen to these negative AvCanada people. Just be smart about it. And I wouldn't recommend ever signing a bond. Your in prison basically for the bond period if you don't like the job
Since when is minimum wage great?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Loading... wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:49 pm Do it bro, its a great career. Pay is great, if your lucky like I am I was paid really good straight out of the gate, and pay is going up.
NEVER SIGN A BOND UNLESS YOU HAVE A LAWYER REVIEW IT WITH YOU FIRST!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:12 pm
Since when is minimum wage great?
No kidding

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Ya exactly, IF your LUCKY like HIM…. Base your entire life, finances and career on the purely subjective experience of a random guy on the internet :roll:

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

This industry is littered with the failed and the bitter. Don’t stress. If you’re willing to do some hard work and have some delayed gratification there really isn’t anything better if you have the bug.

Good luck.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Hangry wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:38 pm This industry is littered with the failed and the bitter. Don’t stress. If you’re willing to do some hard work and have some delayed gratification there really isn’t anything better if you have the bug.

Good luck.
Hangry, fitting name for a career that has every pilot starving till the last ten years of their career. Give your head a shake, Canada sucks for pay, benefits and anything else for that matter in this industry. If he has the bug it’s better cured by flying private and recreationally. At least he won’t put his family through absolute AGONY.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Blueontop wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:27 pm
Ya exactly, IF your LUCKY like HIM…. Base your entire life, finances and career on the purely subjective experience of a random guy on the internet :roll:

I agree, most of these guys backing the crap industry have alternate sources of income (family help) that’s never disclosed. That’s not something to factor in for everyone getting into this ridiculous industry

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

I think you need to be passionate about it to be successful. You can make 6 figures within your first couple years.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Loading... wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:57 pm I think you need to be passionate about it to be successful. You can make 6 figures within your first couple years.
Again…. :roll: Guess what your saying is one just has to be “passionate” and they can avoid poverty and be raking in 6 figs just like you in a “couple” of years… I was about as passionate/determined as they come and it took me 7 years of absolutely garbage shit wages to even crack 6 figs. And nobody handed me nothing in this career I’ve made somewhat workable now.

To the OP, don’t listen to anyone blowing sweet smoke up where the sun don’t shine. You might get lucky, you might not. Consider all possible outcomes but err on the worst one and decide if the juice is still worth the squeeze

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I am happy for you Loading... , but other readers might want to look into survivor bias...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Loading... wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:57 pm I think you need to be passionate about it to be successful. You can make 6 figures within your first couple years.
Source: trust me bro

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Aviatard wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:30 am
Source: trust me bro
LOL! So accurate 😂

Return to “General Comments”