Payment for travel

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MikeWithTheBike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Payment for travel

Post by MikeWithTheBike »

Hi guys,

I apologize if the answer should be obvious, but I wanted to be sure I'm interpreting the rules correctly.

I'm looking at a contract that reimburses travel based on an amount per km, *plus* an amount for time in transit regardless of your mode of transportation. I could drive, or fly commercial, but where's the fun in that?? I understand that with a PPL, I can't charge a passenger for more than their half of the gas, but I assume that reimbursement for time lost in travel is different? Is payment per km for me to get there ok as long as it doesn't exceed what I spend on gas? Does that even matter?

To be clear, the contract is for work done once I'm there, and if I already lived in the city it would be a non-issue. I'm *not* being paid to move anything or anyone, I'm being paid to get there *somehow*.

Thanks for any insight!

Mike
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Payment for travel

Post by Loading... »

Yes I think this would be fine

MikeWithTheBike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MikeWithTheBike »

Sounds good - thanks!

Kennedy007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kennedy007 »

It sounds reasonable and should work this way. The most important thing is that you do not spend more than planned and still have money for gas to return home.
This is the point of all calculations – to get you back home and not spend all your savings. I have never managed to stick to the initial financial plan on my trips. Still, the extra money was never too big. I was aware of every move I made, like that one time when I suddenly decided to try travelling by train from dbfahrplan instead of a bus and had to spend 30€ more on that ticket. It got me further, but I still had to consider the expenses.

747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

My understanding is using a PPL to get to work is perfectly fine as long as you're just getting to and from work and not actually working with the airplane, and any compensation you receive for the flying doesn't exceed your operating costs.

Return to “General Comments”