Background Check Questions

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Background Check Questions

Post by vultajolma »

I received an offer and on the email the regarding the background check said that it would check my education, employment history and references.

Should I be going back and advising all my past sueprvisors that a call/email will be coming in? I dont even have the contact details of all of them right now, so I was just wondering if I should be getting that ready. How many references do they ask for, all past employers?
---------- ADS -----------

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Background Check Questions

Post by sk1996 »

Sorry I know this dosen't answer your question but did you recieve your offer via email or call?

As for letting your past employers know, that usually is not necessary at all.

kashep
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kashep »

I starting training a few years ago but the background check people did call my 2 references and one of them told me it was a fairly thorough questioning - a lot more than just "is this person a good employee". If your references are not aware that they are your references it may be a good idea to let them know.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

kashep wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:57 pm I starting training a few years ago but the background check people did call my 2 references and one of them told me it was a fairly thorough questioning - a lot more than just "is this person a good employee". If your references are not aware that they are your references it may be a good idea to let them know.
Thanks just got the official background check email, its two references as well, but they do ask for contact numbers of all past employers.. I just used the ones on google, lets hope they dont call them all to check lol.
sk1996 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:00 pm Sorry I know this dosen't answer your question but did you recieve your offer via email or call?

As for letting your past employers know, that usually is not necessary at all.
Call then outlined via email, then offer lettter via Workday about a day later.

braincandy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by braincandy »

When are we supposed to get the background check email? I accepted my offer on Workday almost a week ago and I haven't received the MINTZ email yet (and yes, I've checked my junk mail).

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

What do they tend to ask during these background checks? Is it if the details of your resume check out from every employer? Or is it other things like areas where you could improve? I find it may be difficult to get everyone on your resume to provide this, especially if it's a lot of questions they ask.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

braincandy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:47 pm When are we supposed to get the background check email? I accepted my offer on Workday almost a week ago and I haven't received the MINTZ email yet (and yes, I've checked my junk mail).
I got mine about a day after I accepted, I would suggest you reach out to NAVCAN about that and get started on it ASAP. Once you get the invite you have 10 days to submit.
atcguy98 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:42 pm What do they tend to ask during these background checks? Is it if the details of your resume check out from every employer? Or is it other things like areas where you could improve? I find it may be difficult to get everyone on your resume to provide this, especially if it's a lot of questions they ask.
Its 7 year address, employment history, references, and education (undegrad degrees etc). Not sure if they talk to all employers either, but I do know for a fact they will call both your references and grill them about your competency. You can check a box so they dont talk to your current employer tho hopefully they honour that. Then there is a credit and crimninal history check.

Ramara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ramara »

vultajolma wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:14 pm
braincandy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:47 pm When are we supposed to get the background check email? I accepted my offer on Workday almost a week ago and I haven't received the MINTZ email yet (and yes, I've checked my junk mail).
I got mine about a day after I accepted, I would suggest you reach out to NAVCAN about that and get started on it ASAP. Once you get the invite you have 10 days to submit.
atcguy98 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:42 pm What do they tend to ask during these background checks? Is it if the details of your resume check out from every employer? Or is it other things like areas where you could improve? I find it may be difficult to get everyone on your resume to provide this, especially if it's a lot of questions they ask.
Its 7 year address, employment history, references, and education (undegrad degrees etc). Not sure if they talk to all employers either, but I do know for a fact they will call both your references and grill them about your competency. You can check a box so they dont talk to your current employer tho hopefully they honour that. Then there is a credit and crimninal history check.

When you mention grilling your references about your competency is that in direct reference to the key competencies for the position or is it more generalized? Trying to give my references an idea of what to expect

PAR.CYAW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PAR.CYAW »

Ramara wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:05 am

When you mention grilling your references about your competency is that in direct reference to the key competencies for the position or is it more generalized? Trying to give my references an idea of what to expect
If it was to assess your competence, they would’ve done it before giving you an offer. Nav Canada doesn’t care if some random guy at Boston pizza thinks you’re a good line cook or not (or whatever industry you’re coming from). They’re just looking for red flags.

Ramara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ramara »

PAR.CYAW wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:36 pm
Ramara wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:05 am

If it was to assess your competence, they would’ve done it before giving you an offer. Nav Canada doesn’t care if some random guy at Boston pizza thinks you’re a good line cook or not (or whatever industry you’re coming from). They’re just looking for red flags.
Good point! Thank you

BBAK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BBAK »

Anyone know how long it takes to hear back about passing the background and drug testing?

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

BBAK wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:57 pm Anyone know how long it takes to hear back about passing the background and drug testing?
Your drug test results are same day or a few days if you test positive since it gets sent to a lab, background check depends on your situation my references were called the next day.

BBAK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BBAK »

vultajolma wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:47 pm
BBAK wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:57 pm Anyone know how long it takes to hear back about passing the background and drug testing?
Your drug test results are same day or a few days if you test positive since it gets sent to a lab, background check depends on your situation my references were called the next day.
Ya I know my references were called right away and all that - i was just wondering if they actually let you know when the background check is completed. On the offer letter it states that they will let you know when those conditions are met - maybe they don’t let you know until they are all met - meaning medical as well?

BBAK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BBAK »

BBAK wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:17 am
Ya I know my references were called right away and all that - i was just wondering if they actually let you know when the background check is completed. On the offer letter it states that they will let you know when those conditions are met - maybe they don’t let you know until they are all met - meaning medical as well?
Nvm I emailed them and all was good - I guess they don’t notify you so no news is good news.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

BBAK wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:39 am

Nvm I emailed them and all was good - I guess they don’t notify you so no news is good news.
Yea, I had to do the same for the background check, the drug test results you can get it yourself.

Let me know if you ever get approved for the medical so that I can adjust my expectations on the timeline.

BBAK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BBAK »

vultajolma wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:49 am
BBAK wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:39 am

Yea, I had to do the same for the background check, the drug test results you can get it yourself.

Let me know if you ever get approved for the medical so that I can adjust my expectations on the timeline.
Ya will do - I finished my medical on Tuesday and had my audiogram Wednesday so it was all sent off Thursday I believe to transport Canada so we shall see how long it takes from there.

MeGustaArroz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeGustaArroz »

I also have a question here. I don't have much for references. Most of my working life I've been a self employed contractor bouncing all over the place. I had a year at CN rail as a train conductor there, but you literally work with a new person every single day you are there, if I mark them as a reference and NAVCANADA calls, whomever answers the phone wont even know who I was. Any suggestions on what to do?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

MeGustaArroz wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:04 pm I also have a question here. I don't have much for references. Most of my working life I've been a self employed contractor bouncing all over the place. I had a year at CN rail as a train conductor there, but you literally work with a new person every single day you are there, if I mark them as a reference and NAVCANADA calls, whomever answers the phone wont even know who I was. Any suggestions on what to do?
CN Rail should definitely be able to state that you were employed between the dates you claim, and that you weren't dismissed for incompetence, dishonesty or inebriation while at work. That's half the battle. I doubt anyone cares whether you were a very good train conductor or only mediocre.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

Mind if I ask where in YYZ you guys did your medical evals? Have called like 5 offices and haven't been able to get anywhere

737max
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 737max »

sk1996 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:13 am Mind if I ask where in YYZ you guys did your medical evals? Have called like 5 offices and haven't been able to get anywhere
I did mine at Ridgeway Family Medicine at 3065 ridgeway drive in Mississauga. 905-828-6061. Pricey but was able to get an appointment very quickly.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”