What to expect as a new Fo.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

What to expect as a new Fo.

Post by Malfunction »

Anyone share what life is like as a new FO who is commuting. Would I ever be home? How many days off do you get?
---------- ADS -----------

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What to expect as a new Fo.

Post by indieadventurer »

Did you ask any of these questions during the interview?

I don't work there but fairly certain if you're on a WB there is unfortunately no cap to the number of days worked per month compared to the NB where it's 16/18 for a block holder/reserve.

Commuting is going to be terrible with those numbers, especially this summer.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

Depends on which airplane you will be on and where you are commuting from. Narrow body world has a max 16 days at work.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Expect to work a second job to make ends meet.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

No name mac and cheese with chicken hotdogs in your parents basement for the next four years...but cool pics of yourself in the right seat of a heavy!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

JHR wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:32 am No name mac and cheese with chicken hotdogs in your parents basement for the next four years...but cool pics of yourself in the right seat of a heavy!
Won’t comment on dietary provisions nor accommodation, however if you are a single heterosexual male cool right seat pictures in a heavy heading to all points around the globe will , no doubt tweak much interest amongst the single opposite gender. Results very but dalliances and late night behaviours are very common symptoms. Not speaking from experience, mind you but have heard many a story.
:wink: :wink:

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

Old fella wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:21 pm
JHR wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:32 am No name mac and cheese with chicken hotdogs in your parents basement for the next four years...but cool pics of yourself in the right seat of a heavy!
Won’t comment on dietary provisions nor accommodation, however if you are a single heterosexual male cool right seat pictures in a heavy heading to all points around the globe will , no doubt tweak much interest amongst the single opposite gender. Results very but dalliances and late night behaviours are very common symptoms. Not speaking from experience, mind you but have heard many a story.
:wink: :wink:
Selfies can not get you a mortgage though.

Droho774
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Droho774 »

How long was it from interview to ground school date?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Malfunction wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 am Anyone share what life is like as a new FO who is commuting. Would I ever be home? How many days off do you get?
Reserve. 20 days. With best fit plan to be available on base for ALL of them.

Narrow body with a block is max 16 days. Junior you will have a lot of early mornings. Plan to travel into base the night before 3-4 times a month.

Commuting junior or on reserve is painful. It just depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice. You will sacrifice.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I commuted my first 8 months, but I was an RP (so generally only 3 pairings per month and overseas flights generally leave in the late afternoon/evening), also I was senior enough to have a schedule right away. Finally I was commuting from YUL to YYZ so lots of flights to jump on. I didn’t have a crash pad, and only once did I grab a hotel room. It was very relaxed.

Now if you were the bottom of the list on a narrow body commuting from YVR to YYZ you wouldn’t be having much fun with that commute.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Is there a commuting policy in the works? I've heard an ever increasing number of the pilot group is commuting from other cities as YVR and YYZ have become unaffordable to live in.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

fixnfly wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:08 pm Is there a commuting policy in the works? I've heard an ever increasing number of the pilot group is commuting from other cities as YVR and YYZ have become unaffordable to live in.
Nope.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

No max days? Brutaallll

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

What is the monthly take home for a year 1 AC FO ?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Any truth to the rumours the four year flat pay may be removed?

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:36 am Any truth to the rumours the four year flat pay may be removed?
I guess we're supposed to wait till 2023 or 24 for a new collective aggrement as per what the other forum discussion say

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Malfunction wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 am Anyone share what life is like as a new FO who is commuting. Would I ever be home? How many days off do you get?
As it is right now I don’t know how commuters make it work.

Everything is either 1. Oversold 2. Hours late or 3. Canceled.

Let’s Go Brandon
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:07 am What is the monthly take home for a year 1 AC FO ?
56k pre tax. I’d take a pay cut leaving the 704 I’m at making 80k a year soon to be 145k. I just don’t know if I wanna suffer the cut in YYZ for at least 2 if not the full 4 years. Sure the 200k NB Captain is good and all but who knows how long 2 year upgrades last.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

780Pilot wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:17 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:07 am What is the monthly take home for a year 1 AC FO ?
56k pre tax. I’d take a pay cut leaving the 704 I’m at making 80k a year soon to be 145k. I just don’t know if I wanna suffer the cut in YYZ for at least 2 if not the full 4 years. Sure the 200k NB Captain is good and all but who knows how long 2 year upgrades last.
Exactly that is why I was looking at US opportunities. Not everyone is a single dude living in their moms basement.

EdgarAllanPIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EdgarAllanPIC »

No max days (company can even override NB 16 days max), no commuting policy, lowest starting pay in the industry

All under the watch of reps that won't just go away and think they are part of the solution after playing important roles in the problems

Get an education, get a career in a field that respects you and preferably in a country that recognizes your skills

There won't be any miracles at AC until there is some serious reckoning at ACPA

Return to “Air Canada”