Home built documentation

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Home built documentation

Post by ShawnR »

Hi guys

With regards to home built aircraft, are technical logs required or is maintenance entries in a journey log adequate? I looked through CAR's today and found an excerpt saying that tech logs are required but could not determine if it applied to home builts. The guys I know with home builts seem to feel that the rules are very different. I am wondering what a) Transport Canada requires and b) if you were buying a home built, would you expect to see tech logs?

If a home built was to suffer a prop strike, one that, by the relative engine manufacturer service bulletin states the engine be disassembled and inspected, does that apply to home builts as well? If it does need to be inspected, then does it need to be done by a certified shop? (since the whole plane is built by an un-certified person anyways, I would think not. I am guessing that a note needs to be in the log book reflecting what work was done. I know "should be" but not all home builders are big on data entries (that is the impression I have been given).

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Home built documentation

Post by photofly »

Aircraft operated in the owner-maintenance or the amateur-built category don't need separate technical records as long as all the entries that would otherwise go in the technical records go in the journey log instead:

605.92(3):
In the case of a balloon or glider, or an aircraft operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the owner-maintenance or amateur-built classification, all entries in respect of the technical records referred to in paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) may be kept in the journey log.
In the case of an amateur-built aircraft, an owner of the aircraft can sign the maintenance release after work.

571.11:
A person other than a person described in subsection (1) may sign a maintenance release if in the case of maintenance performed on an aircraft that is operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the amateur-built classification, the person is an owner of the aircraft;
Overhauling a regular normally aspirated piston engine isn't specialized maintenance, but even specialized maintenance can be done by anyone on an amateur-built or owner-maintenance aircraft.
571.04:
571.04 No person shall perform the specialized maintenance set out in Schedule II to this Subpart on an aeronautical product other than an aircraft operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the owner-maintenance or amateur-built classification,
In general, as far as I know, the rules don't distinguish between what work is expected to be done on amateur-built or owner-maintenance aircraft, or to what standard. The rules do distinguish between who is allowed to accomplish that work and sign the maintenance release.

If an engine inspection is required after a prop-strike on a certified aircraft there's no reason why it should not be required on an amateur-built aircraft.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

Thank you for the reply and information photofly.

Much appreciated!

Shawn

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

Its one thing to have all varieties of rules .. its another to enforce them ..
How will you enforce somebody tearing his engine apart in the back of his home garage ..
.. its fairly easy to ensure a hot section is being done correctly in a hangar when variety of mechanics are walking to & fro ..
but if someone desires to save money & risk his life .. what can u do .. ??
- number of years ago .. hangar in northern BC .. owner (who knew more then everybody - his opinion)
had a nose-over on landing .. straightened out his prop .. rewelded his MLG tubing .. later time recovered his L/H ragwing Stinson wing after he smashed it in the hangar door, re-rigged his flaps (only 10 degrees out - just a bit of rudder to compensate) .. made a cover-plate & threw away his generator after his rubber coupler disintegrated in his engine .. Ohh and .. forgot about the 2" drywall screws puncturing his fuel tank when he put his wing fuel tank coverplate back on .. & where was Transport u ask ?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

edmanster wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:45 am.. & where was Transport u ask ?
Good question. How long did that go on before someone reported him?

Return to “Maintenance”