The Career of an AME

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Career of an AME

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

5x5 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:20 pm
drone_driver24 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:14 pm
5x5 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:03 pm $42/hr is almost 30% higher than the Canadian average hourly rate - Canadian average hourly earnings 2020

$42/hr x 2000 hr/yr is roughly $84K a year. Is everyone supposed to make over $100k a year? Or maybe $150K? And how would Canada/the world work if they did?
What's your point? 2 years of college, 2 years of apprenticeship. Every endorsement I have has been 5 weeks away from home. OJT at work on a regular basis. Tools, wear and tear on me (knee and hip replacement so far) missing birthday's, anniversaries, family get togethers, working holidays that everyone gets off. All part of the fun. We've made it work.

Mill wrights, hydro, gas, construction, bus drivers, all make way more than us, and have a boat load less responsibility, and less education. I wouldn't trade it for any of the other jobs above, but you are completely missing the point about wages.
Bullshit.

Ya, his post was on point, all the trades he’s cited make more than us in general per year of comparable experience. The type courses he’s cited aren’t even that long either. My most in depth and expensive was just over 8 weeks and over 200k said and done (with the elective avionics course). There’s way more involved in AME training per type than pilot endorsements, that is a universal fact (fixed wing or helicopter). I personally don’t think any AME with ACA should work for less than 100k once licensed (regardless of where they work in the industry) as a minimum these days. The schedule, lack of resources, pretty much every dirty dozen dished out to us here every day in Canada is just for starters, not to mention the liability.
It’s a thankless trade in Canada largely (but not entirely thank god) that rates are set by pilots that were paid nothing for most of their careers and know NOTHING about AME work.
---------- ADS -----------

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

5x5 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:20 pm
5x5 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:03 pm $42/hr is almost 30% higher than the Canadian average hourly rate - Canadian average hourly earnings 2020

$42/hr x 2000 hr/yr is roughly $84K a year. Is everyone supposed to make over $100k a year? Or maybe $150K? And how would Canada/the world work if they did?
What's your point? 2 years of college, 2 years of apprenticeship. Every endorsement I have has been 5 weeks away from home. OJT at work on a regular basis. Tools, wear and tear on me (knee and hip replacement so far) missing birthday's, anniversaries, family get togethers, working holidays that everyone gets off. All part of the fun. We've made it work.

Mill wrights, hydro, gas, construction, bus drivers, all make way more than us, and have a boat load less responsibility, and less education. I wouldn't trade it for any of the other jobs above, but you are completely missing the point about wages.
Bullshit.
You’re right. 85k salary after working for 40 years IS bullshit! That wage is entirely inappropriate for a high time AME.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Ok, all of you that say the current pay is crap (even though millwrights and bus drivers don't actually make way more), why not enlighten me/us as to what an appropriate annual salary would be?

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

5x5 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:46 pm Ok, all of you that say the current pay is crap (even though millwrights and bus drivers don't actually make way more), why not enlighten me/us as to what an appropriate annual salary would be?
I’d love to know who this is, the list of trades making more is accurate. I’m guessing you’re an owner of some “operator”. 42/hr to sign off any aircraft is grossly low.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

75 per/hr. Full benefits.Pristine accommodations.Per diem.All travel paid.Pension.

That’s for starters. Don’t like it go pound sand.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:00 pm 75 per/hr. Full benefits.Pristine accommodations.Per diem.All travel paid.Pension.

That’s for starters. Don’t like it go pound sand.
That’s not even remotely unreasonable. These ghouls will never budge until there’s a drought in personnel. There’s already a severe lack of experienced guys, lots of greenhorns thrown in the mix to compensate however. That’s pilot/owner mentality, “just hire more new guys”.

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

5x5 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:46 pm Ok, all of you that say the current pay is crap (even though millwrights and bus drivers don't actually make way more), why not enlighten me/us as to what an appropriate annual salary would be?
Your data on what wages are in other trades is definitely not correct. Regardless, AME’s have way more liability than a heavy duty and make half or less than half as much with Mostly no fixed schedule, working nights, working remotely and with every one of the dirty dozen on us at any given time.
Nothing short of 100k and double time for over 40 hours a week with a fixed schedule is sufficient in Canada. That should be a base salary with one endorsement.
Heavy duty’s make 150-300 in Canada easily and have full benefits and a schedule. Why the hell are ames working for $35/hr in 2022? It’s because that’s what scum sucking operators offer, it’s what they offered in the 90s too. Oh ya and real loser abusive employers reapply for hours of averaging slimily every year to really stick it to us. So $42/hr at the top of the pay scale huh? I know I speak for myself and many others my level when I kindly say take that job and shove it.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:41 am Your data on what wages are in other trades is definitely not correct.
It's not MY data, it's from the companies/sites whose job it is to provide reliably and accurately sourced employment information. If you know for a fact that "heavy duties" make $150-$300k then how about you providing an impartial source for that data? Otherwise you're just another disgruntled person ranting on the internet.

Also, as a kindness to your fellow AMEs (assuming you are one) why don't you do something useful and provide some guidance for the jobs you must obviously have and/or know of that pay way more? It would be much more beneficial than trying to denigrate me and sowing discontent with no helpful suggestions.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

In the past the government has made it clear that airline travel is considered an essential service and without the threat of strike action the large unions and employee groups don't have any negotiating power. It always go to arbitration and typically they will award inflation increases but that's about it. The pay at the large companies like AC and WJ in turn drives the pay scales for the rest of the industry. This is unlikely to change even with a labor shortage as the government is more willing to issue foreign worker visas when the companies complain then force them to increase wages and attract more students to the trade. It's not terrible but it's not likely to ever go up significantly.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

5x5 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:47 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:41 am Your data on what wages are in other trades is definitely not correct.
It's not MY data, it's from the companies/sites whose job it is to provide reliably and accurately sourced employment information. If you know for a fact that "heavy duties" make $150-$300k then how about you providing an impartial source for that data? Otherwise you're just another disgruntled person ranting on the internet.

Also, as a kindness to your fellow AMEs (assuming you are one) why don't you do something useful and provide some guidance for the jobs you must obviously have and/or know of that pay way more? It would be much more beneficial than trying to denigrate me and sowing discontent with no helpful suggestions.

First of all, are you an AME? If so please regale us to that end, and if not, your opinion is irrelevant.

I’ve been an M1/M2 helicopter AME for decades and I’m also a red seal heavy duty, I even fly a little, as well as educated in another discipline. I know the wages first hand and although maybe you’re too ignorant / incapable of doing your own research, here’s one ad right on the top of the list that STARTS at 200K.

HD Mechanic - Field Service - 14/14 - $67.61 - 73.08/hr + Bonuses

https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?from=apps ... 9201ec35bc

Here’s one that’s projecting 175-300 TO START

Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic

https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?from=apps ... 668e09050e

Those are just the first two on top of a stack of job ads that carry on down that wage and more. Not only that but the benefits and double time these companies offer, as well as education and training incentives (AND NEVER A TRAINING BOND) decimate an pittance offered to AME’s in Canada. Some companies even provide you with tools! I was gifted a toolbox at one company I worked for years ago, to buy would probably be close to 60 grand with what’s in it.

As for your ignorance on what I’ve posted you may want to read my past posts, and the guidance I already have shared on trade equivalency application for the red seal world. It is shockingly an unknown to AME’s as a community, and there should be guidance at the college level about this.

I am here to help absolutely, and already have helped colleagues over the years make the switch, (most of which let their AME licenses go completely once living a better life).

I’m sick to death of the abuse AME’s get in Canada for such a pathetic pay scale. Every operator that pays anything under $75hr should look at the skill and years of protracted training required to make an efficient, knowledgeable, and safe AME (not to mention the hundreds of thousands in type training) before offering up these insulting jobs.
The low pay and their grossly indulgent prerequisites in some of these job ads is enough to make anyone that’s been around long enough as an AME in Canada infuriated.
I’m not disgruntled, I AM PISSED! I took action and fixed my situation, but looking at the AME job ads popping up (over and over and over again like clockwork) with wages not only from 25 years ago BUT LESS gets by blood boiling.
I have my niche in aviation but it’s mostly states side now. Canada is a joke, and it’s going to get much worse before (if) it ever gets better.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

YYCAME wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:46 am In the past the government has made it clear that airline travel is considered an essential service and without the threat of strike action the large unions and employee groups don't have any negotiating power. It always go to arbitration and typically they will award inflation increases but that's about it. The pay at the large companies like AC and WJ in turn drives the pay scales for the rest of the industry. This is unlikely to change even with a labor shortage as the government is more willing to issue foreign worker visas when the companies complain then force them to increase wages and attract more students to the trade. It's not terrible but it's not likely to ever go up significantly.
It’s actually retracted since the early 90s not only considering inflation cost of living and interest. BUT THE DOLLAR VALUE ON ITS FACE 1989-2022!!! And as for TFWs, operators have been feasting on these as pilots for years just recently (the last five years) the AME field has started to have pressure from these, and their lower wages. Our employment laws are there but being breached left right and Center with no one to enforce them.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

5x5 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:47 am

Check this out… and these jobs are becoming more and more common. 3rd or 4th year apprentice and up starting at $153,000 / year.

Heavy Duty Mechanic or 3rd/4th year HET Apprentice

https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?from=apps ... 4726316e88

I can keep going, I’m actually pretty impressed how much wages have gone up in the HD market.

And with proper implementation through AIT an AME can be granted 6000hrs of experience of the 8000 total for heavy duty (fourth year apprentice).

If I even tried looking hard at all I bet I could find an AME with no heavy duty experience a 200k job

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

I hate the pay! I have a friend that drives a fuel truck making more than $42/hr day cab and home every night!!!

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

You aren’t an AME, definitely either some private owner with interest in keeping maintenance down or someone in management. 42 an hour? Salary cap? lmfao

dstechnical
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dstechnical »

Become an instrument tech. Contractor at hydro and Bruce nuclear $100/hr. No more education than an ame

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

dstechnical wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:22 pm Become an instrument tech. Contractor at hydro and Bruce nuclear $100/hr. No more education than an ame
That’s a whole other conversation and definitely for ames to consider but yes. Very good pay benefits and schedule.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

There's another thread here where pilots are discussing the wages and working conditions in America compared to here in Canada. The news seems to be that pay is almost double for the same experience level and endorsements, etc. in America.

What is it like for AMEs? Is it the same scenario?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

viewtopic.php?t=61113

Take a look at the salaries offered in this 13 y/o thread.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I just heard on a Heavy Duty guy making $10,000 every 10 days on a 2 week rotation.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pacqing wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:24 pm I just heard on a Heavy Duty guy making $10,000 every 10 days on a 2 week rotation.
That’s pretty average in some places, and low in others. Have to know where and what this guy was doing…

Return to “General Comments”