Change FIR during hiring process?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Change FIR during hiring process?

Post by Nekton »

Wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to request changing the FIR you are interested in working in during the application process?

I have made it to the 'Eligible for Offer' stage for FSS and am waiting/hoping for an offer. Over the 2+ years since I first applied, life circumstances have changed and if possible I would like to change my FIR selection from Winnipeg to Toronto.

Would it be looked upon negatively if I made the request? I would accept a Winnipeg FIR offer but being posted anywhere in the Toronto FIR (regardless of where) would be better long term for me.
---------- ADS -----------

PAR.CYAW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Change FIR during hiring process?

Post by PAR.CYAW »

Nekton wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:11 am Wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to request changing the FIR you are interested in working in during the application process?

I have made it to the 'Eligible for Offer' stage for FSS and am waiting/hoping for an offer. Over the 2+ years since I first applied, life circumstances have changed and if possible I would like to change my FIR selection from Winnipeg to Toronto.

Would it be looked upon negatively if I made the request? I would accept a Winnipeg FIR offer but being posted anywhere in the Toronto FIR (regardless of where) would be better long term for me.
My understanding was that all FSS courses are “national” meaning you can be posted anywhere, but maybe that’s just Moncton because there are no ab initio postings for FSS in this FIR

kaye.boe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kaye.boe »

Just send an email to the recruiting email address that you'd like to switch FIRs. Easy peasy.

How it will impact your candidate standing, not sure. NavCanada probably won't divulge that to you either. I also thought FSS was national so you might train in Toronto ACC then get posted anywhere across Canada anyway. But if you get FIC I assume you'd be offered a course out of London.

Good Luck!

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

Update...

I decided to wait until the fall training course in YWG had commenced before submitting the request in case an offer was imminent. I did not get an invitation so in early October I emailed HR to ask for a change of FIR. They replied within a couple of weeks and said they would be happy to make the change, but that I might be restricting myself from training offers as YYZ was not expected to hold training for FSS in the near future. I gather most of the region is a heavily favoured seniority bid for all postings and there is no lack of FSS/FIC interest, so VFR/IFR is the most common training offered and as I am not in that stream it could be a long wait. Further, and a bit of a surprise, they said that if I was interested they could offer me a spot in the next training session in YWG, spring 2023! So I said yes.

For the past few weeks I have been working my way through all of the pre-employment requirements (drug test, medical, background and reference check) and have completed everything... so now the wait begins. I'm pretty excited.

Additional info, the FSS stream is indeed a national posting opportunity; where you do your initial training does not necessarily determine the region you may be posted in for OJT. The most common first posts for OJT are the more remote and isolated stations and they made it clear that I needed to be ready to accept one.

So if anyone has any wisdom to impart regarding their experiences during initial FSS training, or their OJT posting I'm interested to hear it.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”