Kelowna Flight Craft

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CD1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Kelowna Flight Craft

Post by CD1 »

Looking for details on pay/sched. I know they're running old 600's from WJ. Think it will be a long term gig? They fired everyone a few years back.

PM me if you prefer.

CD
---------- ADS -----------

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Kelowna Flight Craft

Post by thepoors »

Curious about this as well.

Also wondering if anyone has info on the Convair freight gig - what's the pay like mainly.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

I dunno. I’ll ask the ex-KF 727 guy I know next time I see him. :wink:

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Just for your resume, Flightcraft is one word.

It's a charter company that's just starting out. Word is they are busy, but untill they nail down a contract or two I'd be weary of moving there myself. As for the Convair question, the pay scale is listed in the CBA.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Heard rumours of them going after LNG and Oil Patch workforce movement contracts on the Boeing side of the new charter op.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

co-joe wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:37 am Just for your resume, Flightcraft is one word.

It's a charter company that's just starting out. Word is they are busy, but untill they nail down a contract or two I'd be weary of moving there myself. As for the Convair question, the pay scale is listed in the CBA.
Not sure if it works for you, but the negotech.labour.gc.ca link seems to be broken atm. You don't happen to have a copy of the cba you can share?

Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vico56 »

thepoors wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:18 pm
co-joe wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:37 am Just for your resume, Flightcraft is one word.

Not sure if it works for you, but the negotech.labour.gc.ca link seems to be broken atm. You don't happen to have a copy of the cba you can share?
Most recent I could find.

Attachments
KF cba .pdf
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PeterParker »

Vico56 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:50 pm
thepoors wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:18 pm

Most recent I could find.
They signed a new agreement earlier this year. However, I don't think it is up on Negotech yet - http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=m ... 3aaa1f124e

bcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bcpilot »

With the current state of the industry where jobs are growing on trees, nobody should be even considering a job with a company which has such a deplorable reputation as Kelowna Flightcraft.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

bcpilot wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:18 am With the current state of the industry where jobs are growing on trees, nobody should be even considering a job with a company which has such a deplorable reputation as Kelowna Flightcraft.
KFC has a bad rep?

bcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bcpilot »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:02 am
bcpilot wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:18 am With the current state of the industry where jobs are growing on trees, nobody should be even considering a job with a company which has such a deplorable reputation as Kelowna Flightcraft.
KFC has a bad rep?
Unusually high number of lawsuits by former employees.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

bcpilot wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:54 am
KFC has a bad rep?
Unusually high number of lawsuits by former employees.
That happens at lots of companies unfortunately.

FordAve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FordAve »

KFC has a bad rep?
Their HR Recruiters sure seem a mess. I didn’t have a very good experience, they strung me along for weeks. To me this a bad sign and makes me think they may not be a very good company to work for when the first contact with them doesn’t go well.

For someone trying to get into the industry it was somewhat disheartening after putting a ton of effort into applying and preparing for the interview they said would occur. Also took the time and money to travel and attend their career fair but after several weeks was never called back even though I was told I would be.

Tough to stay positive about the industry when you deal with companies who don’t have the decency to even call back when they say they will.

Maybe that is why they keep posting the same jobs. Maybe high turnover.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

FordAve wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:24 pm
KFC has a bad rep?
Their HR Recruiters sure seem a mess. I didn’t have a very good experience, they strung me along for weeks. To me this a bad sign and makes me think they may not be a very good company to work for when the first contact with them doesn’t go well.

For someone trying to get into the industry it was somewhat disheartening after putting a ton of effort into applying and preparing for the interview they said would occur. Also took the time and money to travel and attend their career fair but after several weeks was never called back even though I was told I would be.

Tough to stay positive about the industry when you deal with companies who don’t have the decency to even call back when they say they will.

Maybe that is why they keep posting the same jobs. Maybe high turnover.
Anywhere that’s always advertising for a particular role or several roles 24/7, 365 days/yr is a very bad sign. I don’t know if they do or not, but that’s a good indication of revolving doors which = bad employer.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

That place was and still is a giant cancer of a operation. Granted, Im speaking from a maintenance perspective, but I've also had the misfortune of working there and I'd never go back.

Which brings us to their never ending ads - their reputation precedes them and they have a hell of a time attracting experience. Throw on top of that the cost of living in Kelowna and KF's brutal entry AME payscale of $28 a/hr...well, they dont help themselves.

On the pilot side they are unionized so they have seemed genuinly more content so it might be better than the maint dept.

Search this site under kelowna flightcraft. Lots of info

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:44 pm That place was and still is a giant cancer of a operation. Granted, Im speaking from a maintenance perspective, but I've also had the misfortune of working there and I'd never go back.

Which brings us to their never ending ads - their reputation precedes them and they have a hell of a time attracting experience. Throw on top of that the cost of living in Kelowna and KF's brutal entry AME payscale of $28 a/hr...well, they dont help themselves.

On the pilot side they are unionized so they have seemed genuinly more content so it might be better than the maint dept.

I know lots who have come and gone from there, I wonder what area of Canadas aviation game has the highest turnover?? You see airlines advertising enough but the one that stands out to me is business jet work… I could be wrong of course

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I spoke to several ex maintenance people who had very little good to say about KFC. Then I did a maint contract there out of curiosity and everyone is looking over their shoulder. Many stories of long time employees getting letgo for no apparent reason.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pacqing wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:22 am I spoke to several ex maintenance people who had very little good to say about KFC. Then I did a maint contract there out of curiosity and everyone is looking over their shoulder. Many stories of long time employees getting letgo for no apparent reason.
I know a few guys that walked away from the industry immediately after working there. It could be coincidence, I’ve never worked there, just heard stories.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Pacqing wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:22 am I spoke to several ex maintenance people who had very little good to say about KFC. Then I did a maint contract there out of curiosity and everyone is looking over their shoulder. Many stories of long time employees getting letgo for no apparent reason.
That is completely true.

There was a very curious coincedence of high time, late 50's guys(topped out pay scale/dont run as hard as 20 year olds), getting punted out the door when "layoff" time came around. Also, anybody who had any time off due to WCB since the last "layoffs" would generally also get canned.

I'd never worked at a place where I saw so many literally injured guys, popping pain pills in the lunch room, but terrified of saying/claiming how their injury happened. They were of course workplace related, and I witnessed many of them(injured myself also), but the example of what happens to those who report had been set.

The quality has suffered as such also, but with next to nowhere else to go, a lot of airlines(Icelandair, lol) continue to flock there after given sweet bs promises from management. The frustration I witnessed from reps about nobody working on their airplanes was comical with its frequency. Third tier operators were constantly dealing with this as WJ commanded whatever talent KF had left.

Anyway, way too many more "memories" I could go into, and some "maintenance practices" that were outright negligant because it saved a few bucks but I wont go into specifics. This is a place that will put 10x effort into sleuthing "who's talking" and making up fairy tales than admiting fault and addressing chronic systemic issues.

Basically, stay well clear.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:06 pm
Pat Richard wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:44 pm That place was and still is a giant cancer of a operation. Granted, Im speaking from a maintenance perspective, but I've also had the misfortune of working there and I'd never go back.

I know lots who have come and gone from there, I wonder what area of Canadas aviation game has the highest turnover?? You see airlines advertising enough but the one that stands out to me is business jet work… I could be wrong of course
I really don't know. I think maybe it might be more of a case of "what geographic are" sees the highest turnover?

Aviation maintenance has never suffered from one sector poaching, or enjoying a stampede, from one category to another. Theyre all shitty in their own way.

Helicopters - get flight pay, but have to work in bug infested or miserable outdoor conditions. My experience was working all day/night outside, out of truck, watching other mechs popping uppers to get awake. You worked half the year but it generally compared to fixed wing on annual income.

Fixed wing - barely half my time was indoors on M2 aircraft. So basically my experience in helicopters, albeit with less tempermental equipment.
Almost always 12hr afternoon/graveyard shifts. Best schedule being 4 on/off, worst being 3 weeks on/off. You basically started tired, having to commute at early hours to catch flights then do a late/graveyard shift. When you left you were getting off shift late at night and had to be on a flight around 7 AM. Forever tired.

Overhaul - moderate amount of time spent there, still had some crazy shifts. Best was afternoon 8 hour shift, worst was 11 hour 12 day stretches, no days off. Constantly on your feet and overtime being demanded constantly. Take a guess what company that was/is?

Ultimately, it comes down to the least shitiest you can tolerate.

That being said, AME's have shown a huge appetite to take it up the arse so the level is quite high. Other trades think we are as a whole, insane.

Return to “Employment Forum”