Should Air Canada be nationalized

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Should Air Canada be nationalized

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/ ... air-canada

Above is an opinion piece. Weak arguments but fun to entertain anyways.

What would jobs look like at Air Canada if this were to happen? Would service improve? Would it be profitable? Would it better serve the public?
---------- ADS -----------

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Should Air Canada be nationalized

Post by rudder »

No.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6389874

This is what happens when the government gets involved

PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PeterParker »

Let's also nationalize Nav Canada while we're at it. Nav Canada is a gong show to the point that I feel that we're going to see airplanes fall out of the sky due to an utter and complete lack of staffing within Canada's ATC system...

Also, for everyone in here who will invariably come out to argue how privatization will make things better - show me how Nav Canada is supposedly better than the FAA's ATC system?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

We should contract or cede control of our entire air system to the FAA, boot Transport, Nav Canada, CATSA, GTAA, etc. - the whole lot of them. Complete integration from agency mandate to licensing to flight time rules to air traffic to airport priorities.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

altiplano wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:38 am We should contract or cede control of our entire air system to the FAA, boot Transport, Nav Canada, CATSA, GTAA, etc. - the whole lot of them. Complete integration from agency mandate to licensing to flight time rules to air traffic to airport priorities.
Only if we can keep CPDLC.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

CPDLC has launched in several US centres. The infrastructure is there nationwide. No doubt we will see national KUSA coverage soon.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

altiplano wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:30 am CPDLC has launched in several US centres. The infrastructure is there nationwide. No doubt we will see national KUSA coverage soon.
We asked a US controller one day when theirs would be on line for Canadian aircraft, the response was “you will be able to once you guys are caught up!” 😂. It was silence when we responded that we’ve had it for years….

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

PeterParker wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:02 pm Let's also nationalize Nav Canada while we're at it. Nav Canada is a gong show to the point that I feel that we're going to see airplanes fall out of the sky due to an utter and complete lack of staffing within Canada's ATC system...

Also, for everyone in here who will invariably come out to argue how privatization will make things better - show me how Nav Canada is supposedly better than the FAA's ATC system?
If you've been following the ATC FAA subreddit, you know that things aren't any better in the FAA. Their staffing is at critical levels much the same way NavCanada is.

And for the technology, NavCanada has the FAA beat hands down. When they come visit, FAA controllers are amazed at the technology NavCanada is using. I believe some FAA sites are still using old-school paper strips that get sent from one sector to another by vacuum tube the way it was done in the 60's.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:15 am
PeterParker wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:02 pm Let's also nationalize Nav Canada while we're at it. Nav Canada is a gong show to the point that I feel that we're going to see airplanes fall out of the sky due to an utter and complete lack of staffing within Canada's ATC system...

If you've been following the ATC FAA subreddit, you know that things aren't any better in the FAA. Their staffing is at critical levels much the same way NavCanada is.

And for the technology, NavCanada has the FAA beat hands down. When they come visit, FAA controllers are amazed at the technology NavCanada is using. I believe some FAA sites are still using old-school paper strips that get sent from one sector to another by vacuum tube the way it was done in the 60's.
Try to call or email TC then then a fsdo. See who replies first?

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Nationalize the airport authorities and ATC.

Much better for the end customer.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:52 am Nationalize the airport authorities and ATC.

You mean reverse everything the Feds have done over the past 25 years?

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

newlygrounded wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:44 am

Oh the FSDO does respond quickly. Unfortunately they tell you nobody is back in the office due to covid and you need to work through a third party $$$ to have your issue addressed!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:52 am Nationalize the airport authorities and ATC.
If it takes Transport Canada sixteen months to issue a Category 1 medical, what makes you think they're going to get you through customs any faster than the GTAA?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Gotta be honest, whatever they (FAA) are using for weather is way better than Canada. I feel a lot more confident getting vectors from the Americans in terminal airspace, vs Canadian controllers who repeatedly vector into significant weather.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:36 pm

Gotta be honest, whatever they (FAA) are using for weather is way better than Canada. I feel a lot more confident getting vectors from the Americans in terminal airspace, vs Canadian controllers who repeatedly vector into significant weather.
100%

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

JHR wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:09 pm

Oh the FSDO does respond quickly. Unfortunately they tell you nobody is back in the office due to covid and you need to work through a third party $$$ to have your issue addressed!
Hasn't been my experience. See what the others said about ATC vectors too

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Two words: Descend Via,...

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

newlygrounded wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:55 pm
JHR wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:09 pm
Hasn't been my experience. See what the others said about ATC vectors too
I must have made it up then...

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

rudder wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:37 pm

You mean reverse everything the Feds have done over the past 25 years?
Gaslighted question. What have the feds done to be reversed?

Return to “Air Canada”