Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Voyageur Airways Limited - Hamilton, ON; $21.54–$24.24 an hour

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Voyageur Airways Limited - Hamilton, ON; $21.54–$24.24 an hour

Post by Pat Richard »

Either way, management love rolling dice to save owners a few bucks for a hero cookie some places.
Dude, that is literally the mantra for mechs who have been bumped into management. Insecure bitches trying to gain acceptance from their overlords.

It's beyond revolting how many times I've witnessed it play out and it is very common.
---------- ADS -----------

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Voyageur Airways Limited - Hamilton, ON; $21.54–$24.24 an hour

Post by Crossthreaded »

chowda wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:05 pm Thats just it. they're either too lazy or too arrogant to GAF to find out because there's always some twat willing to do it for what they offer.

i honestly have no clue what it is that attracts anybody to get into this shite business. You have to be an enthusiast and just not care about anything else but being around airplanes and telling people thats what you do.

Not sure if that kind of insanity can be broken
I honestly can’t do it anymore if there isn’t any better pay and schedule. I’m embarrassed to talk about it with my friends, they all think I have a high paying awesome job, I don’t. I’m trying to find better in this industry and stay positive but honestly from what I’m reading maybe I should get out like other guys have, they seem much happier.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Lots are leaving but lots leave and stay in it . It’s a sickness we have (myself included) we invest too much into this racket just to turn away from it, especially the longer you’re in it.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA) safeguards and protects the people, property and resources of Saskatchewan through partnerships, coordinated planning, education, prevention, mitigation, response and recovery.
SPSA is seeking an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer I for Operational Response, Air Operations in La Ronge.
Under the direction of senior engineers, you will be performing periodic inspections on airframes, engines and systems on a fleet of 17 firefighting aircraft including CL 215's, CL 215 T's, CV 580A's, Baron 55's and Twin Commanders; assessing deficiencies in airframe, engine, electrical, hydraulic and instrumentation systems; and repairing or replacing deficient components in accordance with Transport Canada approval standards.
To qualify for this position, you will possess the following:
An Aircraft Maintenance Engineer licence. (Preference will be given to applicants that possess an M1 and/or M2 licence.)
• A valid Saskatchewan Driver's Licence
• Please note: If there are no suitable applicants, AME apprentices who apply may be considered at a training rate.
Must meet Transport Canada and Province of Saskatchewan Covid requirements
A Criminal Record Check is required as a condition of employment.
You will have knowledge of:
• Maintenance standards as outlined by CARS, Federal Aviation Administration Regulations and Transport Canada Airworthiness Directives.
You will have the ability to:
• Maintain aircraft logbooks with correct certifications.
• Conduct scheduled inspections and diagnose equipment and aircraft problems through close observation and various tests.
• Conduct necessary repairs and maintenance.
• Travel and work out of designated bases during the summer fire season; and
• Maintain standards as outlined by CARS, Federal Aviation Administration Regulations, and Transport Canada Airworthiness Directives.
You will be:
Highly motivated, organized, and task oriented in order to achieve goals in a timely and effective way; and
• Understanding, open-minded, sincere, and approachable in order to communicate and interact with co-workers in a productive
Salary range $31.365 - $38.164
To apply for this position, go to website “saskcareers.ca” select (jobs open to public) then Saskatchewan Public safety Agency and the competition number is TRA001218
If no suitable AME's are found SPSA Air Operations will consider AME Apprentices for this position.
So this works out to $15 to $19 a/hour.

Voyageur looking good now... :rolleyes:

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Those are hourly, so that’s actually a range up to almost 80k. It should be about 20k higher, but it’s deff better than voyage

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:04 pm Those are hourly, so that’s actually a range up to almost 80k. It should be about 20k higher, but it’s deff better than voyage
Oh now I see. Only the government would post hourly wages like that and I also didnt have my glasses on.

looked like fucking commas... :oops:

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

One of my favourites is when companies post “benefits” such as paid vacation(everyone in Canada is entitled to 4% minimum), paid sick days(B.C. now has 5), PAID OVERTIME(Oh wow you mean this is not communist China?)
Realistically in this day and age if you dont have at least a basic extended health care plan WTF are you doing in business.

I think what companies don’t realize is when they pay me they rent me not own me and I am actually doing them a favour by working for them not the other way around. 2022 and moving forward will be extremely challenging for companies to retain and recruit new frothing at the mouth plane worshippers. The TFW program is the golden goose that will fulfill this need tout suite.

I am glad not to be working in the poopy business anymore however am always impressed by the perseverance of companies to continually do the same thing expecting a different result. Same advertisement, same pay, same same same. Nasty.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:53 am One of my favourites is when companies post “benefits” such as paid vacation(everyone in Canada is entitled to 4% minimum), paid sick days(B.C. now has 5), PAID OVERTIME(Oh wow you mean this is not communist China?)
Realistically in this day and age if you dont have at least a basic extended health care plan WTF are you doing in business.

I think what companies don’t realize is when they pay me they rent me not own me and I am actually doing them a favour by working for them not the other way around. 2022 and moving forward will be extremely challenging for companies to retain and recruit new frothing at the mouth plane worshippers. The TFW program is the golden goose that will fulfill this need tout suite.

I am glad not to be working in the poopy business anymore however am always impressed by the perseverance of companies to continually do the same thing expecting a different result. Same advertisement, same pay, same same same. Nasty.
Airlines are already pushing to hire TFW’s rather than promote from within. Greasy tactic that some major helicopter companies (that no longer exist as of the last five years thank god) employed every season. If airlines are copying bush helicopter operators for business strategy, things are even worse than I thought.

RLK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RLK »

Pat Richard wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:41 pm

Regardless, $50 an hour amounts to $104000 a year in a world where a KIA mechanic is being offered $125000 to $175000, and semi trailer mechanics make the same as AME's.
I think you have been lied to.
The KIA dealers here in Calgary pay $30-$40 per billed hour.
I fix luxury European vehicles, and don't make 6 figures a year.

ludivicchua
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ludivicchua »

@Bug_Stomper_01 This is how I was able to get into the industry -- by kissing a*ses! If you need experience, you will take this kind of pay! There are many technical schools here in Canada that are producing fresh accredited graduates every year. There are too many people in this industry that are willing to work for experience at slave wage such as this! I can get this salary offer--and I was able to get this salary offer--without any post secondary education! I'm not exaggerating this! This pay is garbage and this is why I left! At the end of the day, we all need money!

Stay in this industry for too long and you will kiss a*s just to remain employed in profession that might sound fancy to other people that have never heard anything about it!

Believe me! Believe me! There are many people that will take that salary offer for experience even though I have made that kind of money with no educational requirement at all, have less responsibility, and have less costly and less demanding job even though it doesn't sound as fancy of a job! Many people in this industry are egotistic!

Another thing, since a mechanic job (or anything that falls in maintenance) is a blue-collar job, it baffles me how many people in this industry treat this as some kind of a white-collar job! Ridiculous! I've met an Aerospace Engineer in real-life (he makes $120K a year) and he called this a "Trades Engineering" job (not a Prof. Eng.). I call this a "Technician" job since we are not allowed to deviate from specification (unless with STC), we follow standard and specified procedure (and you will research any directive), and you log any maintenance performed in the logbook. That's all you do! It is a Technician job because it is just maintenance while "Aircraft Maintenance Engineering" is just what the profession is called! The "Engineering" is nothing but a professional name, it is just a technical job and not real engineering! The ego of the people in this industry!

I've had enough of the pay and I've had enough of the people in this industry!

Many people in this industry (including the ones in school) are on rose-tinted glasses! The reality is, this job is just what it is, and it sucks!

Their reason for getting into and staying in this industry is their ego! (this is why they have to keep rose-tinting this job!) I have nothing to lose for leaving this industry but my ego!

My brother who is not in Aviation (he works in IT) has a friend (a youngster) who works in Air Canada for slave wage. His friends don't know anything about his job while I've heard of him from my brother. I know these type of people! Egotistic! Lol!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

RLK wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:03 pm

Regardless, $50 an hour amounts to $104000 a year in a world where a KIA mechanic is being offered $125000 to $175000, and semi trailer mechanics make the same as AME's.
You’re working for the wrong company man. I could get you a job at a nearby marina for more than that with your experience.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

ludivicchua wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:47 am @Bug_Stomper_01 This is how I was able to get into the industry -- by kissing a*ses! If you need experience, you will take this kind of pay! There are many technical schools here in Canada that are producing fresh accredited graduates every year. There are too many people in this industry that are willing to work for experience at slave wage such as this! I can get this salary offer--and I was able to get this salary offer--without any post secondary education! I'm not exaggerating this! This pay is garbage and this is why I left! At the end of the day, we all need money!

Stay in this industry for too long and you will kiss a*s just to remain employed in profession that might sound fancy to other people that have never heard anything about it!

Believe me! Believe me! There are many people that will take that salary offer for experience even though I have made that kind of money with no educational requirement at all, have less responsibility, and have less costly and less demanding job even though it doesn't sound as fancy of a job! Many people in this industry are egotistic!

Another thing, since a mechanic job (or anything that falls in maintenance) is a blue-collar job, it baffles me how many people in this industry treat this as some kind of a white-collar job! Ridiculous! I've met an Aerospace Engineer in real-life (he makes $120K a year) and he called this a "Trades Engineering" job (not a Prof. Eng.). I call this a "Technician" job since we are not allowed to deviate from specification (unless with STC), we follow standard and specified procedure (and you will research any directive), and you log any maintenance performed in the logbook. That's all you do! It is a Technician job because it is just maintenance while "Aircraft Maintenance Engineering" is just what the profession is called! The "Engineering" is nothing but a professional name, it is just a technical job and not real engineering! The ego of the people in this industry!

I've had enough of the pay and I've had enough of the people in this industry!

Many people in this industry (including the ones in school) are on rose-tinted glasses! The reality is, this job is just what it is, and it sucks!

Their reason for getting into and staying in this industry is their ego! (this is why they have to keep rose-tinting this job!) I have nothing to lose for leaving this industry but my ego!

My brother who is not in Aviation (he works in IT) has a friend (a youngster) who works in Air Canada for slave wage. His friends don't know anything about his job while I've heard of him from my brother. I know these type of people! Egotistic! Lol!
You aren’t wrong and from what I’ve read from your posts you’ve been in this racket long enough to know what it is. It could be a awesome industry, but people keep taking the low wages will always set the bar another rung higher for the more experienced. I AM DONE in Canada until things change back to how they were 30 years ago.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Look what I found. Quite the spread!

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, Heavy Maintenance

https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?from=apps ... f96f058cca

RLK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RLK »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:18 am

You’re working for the wrong company man. I could get you a job at a nearby marina for more than that with your experience.
There isn't many marinas in the middle of Alberta. There is a lot more to a job than just money. Every person that I have met that chases money around is just miserable. I could go up north and make $175 000 a year, but I would hate it. I would rather make less and live the lifestyle that I want.

If you want to make $175 000 at a dealership, you will have to flag 90+ hours a week, good luck doing that when you are doing recalls that take 3 hours but you only get paid 1. The two KIA dealers in Calgary are looking for technicians right now. I can guarantee they would hire an AME on the spot, but if you asked for $175 000 a year guarantee the service manager will laugh in your face, because he doesn't even make that much.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

RLK wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:22 pm

There isn't many marinas in the middle of Alberta. There is a lot more to a job than just money. Every person that I have met that chases money around is just miserable. I could go up north and make $175 000 a year, but I would hate it. I would rather make less and live the lifestyle that I want.

If you want to make $175 000 at a dealership, you will have to flag 90+ hours a week, good luck doing that when you are doing recalls that take 3 hours but you only get paid 1. The two KIA dealers in Calgary are looking for technicians right now. I can guarantee they would hire an AME on the spot, but if you asked for $175 000 a year guarantee the service manager will laugh in your face, because he doesn't even make that much.

I agree money isn’t everything but time away from work is. If you think being an AME is a 9-5 job in Canada you’re going to have another thing coming. So you’ll have ridiculous hours (largely unpaid) and less home life. For what? Just to finger blast a bunch of rich peoples junk?

RLK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RLK »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:41 pm

I agree money isn’t everything but time away from work is. If you think being an AME is a 9-5 job in Canada you’re going to have another thing coming. So you’ll have ridiculous hours (largely unpaid) and less home life. For what? Just to finger blast a bunch of rich peoples junk?
That's kinda what I'm getting at, fixing cars is a 8-5 type job hence why you will make less money doing it.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

RLK wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:06 pm

That's kinda what I'm getting at, fixing cars is a 8-5 type job hence why you will make less money doing it.
Yes but you can rely on that schedule and elect to work more if you want. It’s mandatory to work whatever is required in aviation to get the aircraft serviceable. Lots of travel and you’ll be up north for a few years to get started feeding the flys. Usually these ass hats pay a day rate while you work 16 hours.
It’s criminal man do your research before you dive into this “industry” if you can call it that. It’s just a small group of evil crooked jerks laundering money with aircraft while beating up on the aircrew, competing amongst eachother how much they can get away with by breaking basic laws of humanity and common decency.

Anyone I explain this industry to disbelieves it until they actually do it. I have had former trainees come to me years later apologizing for not listening (even tho it’s them I should apologize to for not trying harder to keep them away).

This is about the worst time to get in but I’m sure next year will be even worse. I hope you’re just doing this for the experience and not a manageable means of making a living. There is that old term “AIDS” in this industry - “Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome”. And almost everyone I know has it. The ONLY redeeming quality is the craft you will learn that takes years and years to be well rounded in. MRO’s are best for that but they know what they can get away with and pay dogsh1t too.

I digress, it’s a screwed up insane industry with almost no government and general population supporting us which further fuels the low pay and horrible working conditions. You’ve been warned, it’s a gong show and you better be ready to sacrifice a ton of time, your families well being and your finances for years.

RLK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RLK »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:18 pm

Yes but you can rely on that schedule and elect to work more if you want. It’s mandatory to work whatever is required in aviation to get the aircraft serviceable. Lots of travel and you’ll be up north for a few years to get started feeding the flys. Usually these ass hats pay a day rate while you work 16 hours.
It’s criminal man do your research before you dive into this “industry” if you can call it that. It’s just a small group of evil crooked jerks laundering money with aircraft while beating up on the aircrew, competing amongst eachother how much they can get away with by breaking basic laws of humanity and common decency.

Anyone I explain this industry to disbelieves it until they actually do it. I have had former trainees come to me years later apologizing for not listening (even tho it’s them I should apologize to for not trying harder to keep them away).

This is about the worst time to get in but I’m sure next year will be even worse. I hope you’re just doing this for the experience and not a manageable means of making a living. There is that old term “AIDS” in this industry - “Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome”. And almost everyone I know has it. The ONLY redeeming quality is the craft you will learn that takes years and years to be well rounded in. MRO’s are best for that but they know what they can get away with and pay dogsh1t too.

I digress, it’s a screwed up insane industry with almost no government and general population supporting us which further fuels the low pay and horrible working conditions. You’ve been warned, it’s a gong show and you better be ready to sacrifice a ton of time, your families well being and your finances for years.
Every single career has goods and bads, there is no such thing as perfect. My wife is a registered nurse, she worked shift work for many years. We would come home and tell each other about our day. I would tell her how this car had an f-ed transmission and this other car had an offline body can network. Then she would tell me that two patients died on her shift and the families were devastated. It would make my problems feel so small. But then another day she would tell me that she gave a person CRP and they survived and she felt like a hero.
Every job has goods and bads, you decide on what you focus on and you alone are responsible for your own attitude. I have had a very fulfilling career fixing cars, but I have done it for 20 years and kinda just want to try something new. I want to start at the bottom sweeping floors, that is how you learn. If you feel that the pay for a certain job is too low for you, don't apply. I see automotive jobs every day that I feel have too low of a wage, if some sucker takes it, so what. You get what you pay for.
I'm sorry that you have not been satisfied with your career choice, but you really only have yourself to blame for that. If you are not happy, change it.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

RLK wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:27 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:18 pm

Every single career has goods and bads, there is no such thing as perfect. My wife is a registered nurse, she worked shift work for many years. We would come home and tell each other about our day. I would tell her how this car had an f-ed transmission and this other car had an offline body can network. Then she would tell me that two patients died on her shift and the families were devastated. It would make my problems feel so small. But then another day she would tell me that she gave a person CRP and they survived and she felt like a hero.
Every job has goods and bads, you decide on what you focus on and you alone are responsible for your own attitude. I have had a very fulfilling career fixing cars, but I have done it for 20 years and kinda just want to try something new. I want to start at the bottom sweeping floors, that is how you learn. If you feel that the pay for a certain job is too low for you, don't apply. I see automotive jobs every day that I feel have too low of a wage, if some sucker takes it, so what. You get what you pay for.
I'm sorry that you have not been satisfied with your career choice, but you really only have yourself to blame for that. If you are not happy, change it.

You’re not understanding what I’m saying. I’ve had an awesome career in aviation, I’m very lucky to have the training and experienced I got while that was offered (which isn’t so easily anymore). Canada however is in the toilet, I work in the states primarily now and some for some select customers in Canada ON MY TERMS. Do what you will, you’ve been warned, just don’t expect to have a comfortable life doing this here (fixed wing or rotary). Experienced guys fixing and flying are leaving the country and the industry all together.
Automotive hit the fan about 20 years ago for menu pricing and making the flat rate so skinny, sorry you didn’t enjoy your career in automotive but that’s a choice you made. I can weigh both, I’ve been involved in both (more heavy duty that pays more but also have the 310s from many moons ago). Just don’t let aerosexuality cloud your judgement.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:18 pmI digress, it’s a screwed up insane industry with almost no government and general population supporting us which further fuels the low pay and horrible working conditions. You’ve been warned, it’s a gong show and you better be ready to sacrifice a ton of time, your families well being and your finances for years.
This is a pretty accurate statement. At least in my experience so far.

Return to “Maintenance”