Family life: how many overnights?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Family life: how many overnights?

Post by pitottubey »

Hi all! just wondering what the family life potential is like at westjet particularily Calgary, how many nights away on average would I get if i bid for one day pairings? I'm sure it might be different during and post covid so curious to hear from the family guys/gals who have been in Westjet for a while now. Thanks all!
---------- ADS -----------

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Family life: how many overnights?

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

pitottubey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:53 pm Hi all! just wondering what the family life potential is like at westjet particularily Calgary, how many nights away on average would I get if i bid for one day pairings? I'm sure it might be different during and post covid so curious to hear from the family guys/gals who have been in Westjet for a while now. Thanks all!
If you get hired at WJ tomorrow, you’ll have around 8 years (current timeline) before you’re able to bid for pairings (off reserve) as a YYC FO. But yes, it’s an option a lot of people use to have more nights at home. With current bidding issues that’s all gone out the window, but I knew a few guys working mostly single days and home virtually every night.
Again, you’ll be YYZ based and on reserve for years upon being hired at WJ.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Sorry, what are you basing those numbers off? Yes you may be on reserve but everyone is reserve eligible now.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

My mistake, I checked the current seniority list and it’s actually 6 years 9 months of seniority to be off the reserve list for a YYC FO. Bottom 20% of each position list is reserve eligible (LOU5)

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

If im applying to Westjet mainline OTS, how long would it take to get based in Calgary?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Currently the most junior YYC FO was hired in Sept 2019.

Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Greasy Greaser »

pitottubey wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:53 am If im applying to Westjet mainline OTS, how long would it take to get based in Calgary?
Depends really, come August, most junior YYC FO will be a date of hire of Jan 2020 (remember Covid slowed things down so Jan 2020 hire is close to bottom of list). We've had a significant amount of bids recently so if those slow down, could be a little longer for YYC base although with the re-building out West, might not be as long as you think. A very safe bet imo would be less than two years.

Now for reserve...we do things differently here because...well we're WestJet. Looking at the list, it is pretty hard to determine when someone will be off reserve as someone pointed out to me few years back even before this system was fully implemented, the DOH means little. If it's 6 years to get "off" reserve, it can mean squat as there is a good chance you/many didn't consider those senior to you at Swoop and Encore but they are not shown on the WJA YYC base position assignment list. Basically when you're just above the reserve cut off, you can be put back under it next month when those senior to you flow from encore or transfer from Swoop.

Just know and accept the fact that it'll be a good bit longer to get off reserve while you build YOS pay, and you'll be good. If you live in YYC, reserve is not a big deal at all and sounds like you can have a semi good home life. Commuters, god help you until you're out of the short call reserve system we have; only saving grace is that YYC still has cheap hotels under commuter rates I hear, sub $80 a night. (full disclosure, I think any commute is not great because I'm a wuss, if you're used to commuting, it's probably not as bad as I think)

edit: Our contract is up for renewal end of this year, things may get shaken up around here with new CBA, hopefully for the better but no guarantees.

Lose != Loose
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

They are also openly saying they are transferring flying out west so I’d imagine at some point YYC will actually become the junior FO base but senior cpt one

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

Greasy Greaser wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:55 am
pitottubey wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:53 am If im applying to Westjet mainline OTS, how long would it take to get based in Calgary?
Depends really, come August, most junior YYC FO will be a date of hire of Jan 2020 (remember Covid slowed things down so Jan 2020 hire is close to bottom of list). We've had a significant amount of bids recently so if those slow down, could be a little longer for YYC base although with the re-building out West, might not be as long as you think. A very safe bet imo would be less than two years.

Now for reserve...we do things differently here because...well we're WestJet. Looking at the list, it is pretty hard to determine when someone will be off reserve as someone pointed out to me few years back even before this system was fully implemented, the DOH means little. If it's 6 years to get "off" reserve, it can mean squat as there is a good chance you/many didn't consider those senior to you at Swoop and Encore but they are not shown on the WJA YYC base position assignment list. Basically when you're just above the reserve cut off, you can be put back under it next month when those senior to you flow from encore or transfer from Swoop.

Just know and accept the fact that it'll be a good bit longer to get off reserve while you build YOS pay, and you'll be good. If you live in YYC, reserve is not a big deal at all and sounds like you can have a semi good home life. Commuters, god help you until you're out of the short call reserve system we have; only saving grace is that YYC still has cheap hotels under commuter rates I hear, sub $80 a night. (full disclosure, I think any commute is not great because I'm a wuss, if you're used to commuting, it's probably not as bad as I think)

edit: Our contract is up for renewal end of this year, things may get shaken up around here with new CBA, hopefully for the better but no guarantees.
What are they looking at in the new contract?

Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Greasy Greaser »

Roundel Randy wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:14 pm
Greasy Greaser wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:55 am

What are they looking at in the new contract?
Widebody pay increase, commuting rights/ports again, fixing the seniority list (whether to join everyone or make cuts), we need tighter language on almost everything/scope.

Almost everything is needed but obviously won't get everything next contract, hopefully guys/gals see that. Takes time for things to move.

We'll see what the arbitrator decides ;)

Lose != Loose
Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

Greasy Greaser wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:17 am
Roundel Randy wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:14 pm What are they looking at in the new contract?
Widebody pay increase, commuting rights/ports again, fixing the seniority list (whether to join everyone or make cuts), we need tighter language on almost everything/scope.

Almost everything is needed but obviously won't get everything next contract, hopefully guys/gals see that. Takes time for things to move.

We'll see what the arbitrator decides ;)
Sounds like a good amount of stuff. Hopefully the include the early FO pay years too. What's wrong with the seniority list? If ports are approved, which cities would they be?

Return to “WestJet”