Stealth Climate Lockdowns

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Stealth Climate Lockdowns

Post by photofly »

kgb531 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 pm Canadian pensions have strict funding requirements that must be annually to ensure it is properly funded. This is done regardless of financial position. As in, if a company is teetering financially, it is required to fund it's obligations with available cash even if that creates a loss.
And if the loss pushes the company into insolvency, then there's nobody left to fund the pension obligations should there be a future shortfall.

It is unarguable fact that there is no pension plan in existence that will survive every financial crisis that can be imagined.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Here’s a proposal:

We don’t allow people to vote until they are productive members of society.

Lets deal with that at the back end, so the ever growing hordes of greedy retirees, the most selfish generation in history, don’t continue to bankrupt our country and leave the debts and confiscation level taxes, to the young.

Cut off voting rights at 70. Or somewhere.

Who’s in for that?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

How do you define 'productive'? Lots of Wall/Bay St whizzkids out there (Martin Shkreli comes to mind!) who are, imo, a drain on society; the Gordon Lightfoots of this world, on the other hand, will be a great loss...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:46 am Cut off voting rights at 70. Or somewhere.

Who’s in for that?
I know a bunch of 70 year olds who do more for the economy than you do.

Come to that - what is your value to society? To the extent that all you do is push other people's money around, you're the parasite!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Yup, peeps are getting triggered by a sensible policy thought. What a surprise. Run to your safe places….

Retired block are often nothing more than yet another (gigantic) special interest group.

We can’t afford making policy to benefit special interest groups.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:35 am Yup, peeps are getting triggered by a sensible policy thought. What a surprise. Run to your safe places….
Remind us how you benefit society?

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Rookie is sounding like he just watched Logan’s Run and thought “hey, that’s a good idea!”
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:35 am Yup, peeps are getting triggered by a sensible policy thought.
Stripping people of voting rights is a “sensible policy thought”? Just so you’re aware you’re revealing yourself, having voting rights tied to perceived worth to society, is a core tenet of fascism.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Discussion is special interest groups who specifically leech off the taxpayer through their voting block. The biggest one is baby boomer retirees.

Stay on point.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:11 am Stay on point.
Funniest post this year.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:20 am
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:11 am Stay on point.
Funniest post this year.
Glad to amuse.

What’s your solution for the horrible financial world facing our young (20’s and 30’s) people today?

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Definitely I wouldn’t impose a Heinlein dreamed scheme of limiting suffrage to “citizens” as you propose, which would only further to concentrate political power in the few deemed “worthy”.

I would start with raising the minimum wage, and make sure it scales with the cost of living.

I would encourage policies which encourage or mandate stakeholder management of corporations instead of the current prevalent shareholder model. Estate taxes would be on the table. Increasing capital gains taxes, and eliminate loopholes to avoid them. Proposed wealth taxes seem reasonable. Increase corporate taxes, reduce personal income taxes. Stop a lot of corporate subsidies and bail outs. More tax incentives to small businesses directly tied to an increase in job creation. Regulate utility and energy prices.

Just for a start.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Squaretail wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:46 am Definitely I wouldn’t impose a Heinlein dreamed scheme of limiting suffrage to “citizens” as you propose, which would only further to concentrate political power in the few deemed “worthy”.

I would start with raising the minimum wage, and make sure it scales with the cost of living.

I would encourage policies which encourage or mandate stakeholder management of corporations instead of the current prevalent shareholder model. Estate taxes would be on the table. Increasing capital gains taxes, and eliminate loopholes to avoid them. Proposed wealth taxes seem reasonable. Increase corporate taxes, reduce personal income taxes. Stop a lot of corporate subsidies and bail outs. More tax incentives to small businesses directly tied to an increase in job creation. Regulate utility and energy prices.

Just for a start.
Lets look at these:

Regulate energy prices? Drilling disappears. Like rent control, no new rental stock is built. Projects were canceled, same would happen. Has already happened. Major shareholders will lynch any company that aggressively drills for energy now. Not happening.

Cap gains taxes raised in a country that doesn’t attract investment capital as it is? Good luck with that. Capital will abandon Canada.

Estate, wealth taxes? The grey retired voting block will freak out completely.

End Corp Subsidies? You mean like the new bailout loan that won’t ever be paid back, of Air Transat? Or only non aviation subsidies, cause air is “special”?

Raising minimum wage? How do you stop companies from removing workers and putting in self serve screens? (As is widely happening).

Your turn.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:12 am Regulate energy prices? Drilling disappears. Like rent control, no new rental stock is built. Projects were canceled, same would happen. Has already happened. Major shareholders will lynch any company that aggressively drills for energy now. Not happening.
First, oil isn’t the only kind of energy we are talking about and second, the shareholder model is part of the problem. Stake holders should be involved. Canada in particular used to have a crown corporation involved in oil and gas development. Perhaps that needs to be the case again, if energy development needs to benefit Canadian stakeholders as opposed to foreign shareholders.
Cap gains taxes raised in a country that doesn’t attract investment capital as it is? Good luck with that. Capital will abandon Canada.

Maybe, but your arguements thus far are why these policies won’t benefit the investment class, rather than what would benefit the younger starting class. I personally think such policy would stabilize the housing market. A benefit to those starting out.
Estate, wealth taxes? The grey retired voting block will freak out completely.
Unless you explain to them that you’re not coming for their farm. The estate tax in the US affects only a small percentage of the extremely wealthy. And they can avoid it. Encourage people to spend money when they’re alive rather than horde it so we have a class of people who don’t work.
End Corp Subsidies? You mean like the new bailout loan that won’t ever be paid back, of Air Transat? Or only non aviation subsidies, cause air is “special”?
Did I say that air was special? Yes those kind of bail out loans should end, at least without heavy strings attached, and in no circumstances should bail out or subsidy money end up in any kind of management bonuses or stock buy backs.
Raising minimum wage? How do you stop companies from removing workers and putting in self serve screens? (As is widely happening).
This just shows your limited knowledge of the working world. The self serve screens aren’t reducing the need for workers. Maybe go work a shift at the local store to find out. In spite of these automated devices, there is still hiring going on in every place that has them. Wages are cheap it’s the smallest part of any operation where labour is involved.

The main point here though is I believe there is arguable government policy to address the problems, not dramatic social upheaveal.

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

geodoc wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:50 pm
BigQ wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:10 pm
geodoc wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:48 am Interesting article making a case for reduction in the use of fertilizers in industrial agriculture:

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/0 ... e-possible

Farmer here. I'm 120% all about regenerative agriculture and getting the world off of synthetic fertilizers.

But if you cut nitrogen fertilizers by 30% in 8 years, you WILL see widespread worldwide famine, and in North Americans' case at least, an increase of the cost of food from about 9% of total spending to a minimum of 20%.

This NEEDS to be a 10-15 year process minimum, and our agriculture will become very ruminant animal-heavy. The land currently farmed with synthetic fertilizers cannot take a cut of fertilizers without an even greater (proportionally) loss in productivity.
Interesting. I read the articles linked from the article I put up and would like to read more about this. It looks like it 's going to be a matter that will be drawing more & more attention coming up. Have any links to share to help with a wider perspective?

Thanks -
Here's a couple that I found using presearch.
https://www.northridgefarms.ca/father-v ... ughter.htm

https://regenerativeskills.com/timothy- ... al-inputs/

There is a fair amount of material in the permaculture and regenerative agriculture circles. The basic tl;dr premise is that synthetic NPKs completely skew the microbiology of the soil through the overfeeding of certain bacteria to the detriment of others. These others, then take a very long time to recolonize the ground after application. The fertilizers are also delivered in the form of salts, which penetrate the soil with rain, but then desiccate it in times without rain. The salts permeate at many layers of the soil, "salting the land" to the point of a reduction of yields starting from year 2.

A plot of land that is used to synthetic NPKs needs to be recolonized with the proper bacteria ratio, needs to stop being tilled (tillage is estimated to kill 50% of living bacteria and protozoa in the soil, releasing a large amount of nutrients but to the detriment of long-term bacterial colonies). The fastest way to do this is through the application of compost teas. That compost tea needs to be made from perfect or nearly-perfect compost. Any compost badly made will destroy yields for YEARS. So, naturally, great compost is very expensive, and thus compost tea applications is not "on the radar" of farmers that are "barely making it", or, in the case of North American farmers who average the ripe old age of 67, they don't have a long term vision.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

BigQ wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:06 pm
geodoc wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:50 pm
BigQ wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:10 pm

Farmer here. I'm 120% all about regenerative agriculture and getting the world off of synthetic fertilizers.

But if you cut nitrogen fertilizers by 30% in 8 years, you WILL see widespread worldwide famine, and in North Americans' case at least, an increase of the cost of food from about 9% of total spending to a minimum of 20%.

This NEEDS to be a 10-15 year process minimum, and our agriculture will become very ruminant animal-heavy. The land currently farmed with synthetic fertilizers cannot take a cut of fertilizers without an even greater (proportionally) loss in productivity.
Interesting. I read the articles linked from the article I put up and would like to read more about this. It looks like it 's going to be a matter that will be drawing more & more attention coming up. Have any links to share to help with a wider perspective?

Thanks -
Here's a couple that I found using presearch.
https://www.northridgefarms.ca/father-v ... ughter.htm

https://regenerativeskills.com/timothy- ... al-inputs/

There is a fair amount of material in the permaculture and regenerative agriculture circles. The basic tl;dr premise is that synthetic NPKs completely skew the microbiology of the soil through the overfeeding of certain bacteria to the detriment of others. These others, then take a very long time to recolonize the ground after application. The fertilizers are also delivered in the form of salts, which penetrate the soil with rain, but then desiccate it in times without rain. The salts permeate at many layers of the soil, "salting the land" to the point of a reduction of yields starting from year 2.

A plot of land that is used to synthetic NPKs needs to be recolonized with the proper bacteria ratio, needs to stop being tilled (tillage is estimated to kill 50% of living bacteria and protozoa in the soil, releasing a large amount of nutrients but to the detriment of long-term bacterial colonies). The fastest way to do this is through the application of compost teas. That compost tea needs to be made from perfect or nearly-perfect compost. Any compost badly made will destroy yields for YEARS. So, naturally, great compost is very expensive, and thus compost tea applications is not "on the radar" of farmers that are "barely making it", or, in the case of North American farmers who average the ripe old age of 67, they don't have a long term vision.
Heh BQ,

Thanks for the TL:DR bit and the links. A short peruse has me interested in compost tea now. Interesting. Even having lived in various places nominally off the grid, I'm a city boy, but how food happens is fascinating (maybe horrified fascination per U. Sinclair's "The Jungle" and the more contemporary "Fast Food Nation") . I'll settle in with those links and learn something.

As an aside, about 20 years ago I flew a group from a couple US foundations to Yakima WA for a tour of a couple farms in the area. One I remember most was growing hops and has a wild-ass elaborate watering and fertilizing, (insecticide?) set up - all drip. The system incorporated gawd knows how many valves, pumps, sensors, telemetry and miles of tubing and controlled by what must have been some very specialized software. Anyway, it saw to it that water and fertilizer was introduced only in the areas and quantities necessary, besides measuring who knows what other parameters. Very impressive. In the intervening 20+ years I'd imagine that these systems have gotten further yet.

Return to “Covid”