Stealth Climate Lockdowns

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Stealth Climate Lockdowns

Post by 7ECA »

On the one hand, one could suggest that with a clickbait title like "CRUE OIL is headed to $200+" that the soon is implied, but your prognostication doesn't include a timeline in the initial post.

In your second reply you say something along the lines of "...as soon as the end of 2023..."

But, no point in arguing with you when you're wound up like this and won't bother with the niceties of a nuanced conversation anyway. Besides that, this is far from the first time you've made this sweeping predictions of doom with the flair of a latter day Nostradamus; heavy on the fear, light on actual details. Which, in the end makes it easy to take credit for being "right" at some point down the road when something vaguely resembling one of the aforementioned predictions may occur, but I digress...
---------- ADS -----------

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:50 pmWe are totally screwed.
I warned here at least a year ago, if not more: get your debt house in order, peeps. We are headed for a world of hurt.
Okay, I'll play.

I have no dept, I own my house outright, I'm retired with a defined benefit pension, I have money in the bank and elsewhere, my income exceeds my expenses every month. I'm not sure how I'm headed for a world of hurt. I'm not sure how I'm totally screwed. Please explain how your dire predictions apply to people like me.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

albertdesalvo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:33 pm
I warned here at least a year ago, if not more: get your debt house in order, peeps. We are headed for a world of hurt.
Okay, I'll play.

I have no dept, I own my house outright, I'm retired with a defined benefit pension, I have money in the bank and elsewhere, my income exceeds my expenses every month. I'm not sure how I'm headed for a world of hurt. I'm not sure how I'm totally screwed. Please explain how your dire predictions apply to people like me.
Oh, you are part of the generation who was the biggest beneficiary of Covid policy. You are not in a world of hurt, you get to sail off into retirement.

It’s your kids, and more so your grandkids generations that will pay for this.they don’t own their homes. Some of them leaped into the housing market last year and are already negative equity on their home. They don’t have money in the bank, their income is less than your pension, and they have dependent children they are trying to raise, put in sports, save for education etc.

But really they shouldn’t be whining babies, they were the biggest demographic to vote in the current policy makers and they love Trudeau. This is slowly changing and the largest growing support for liberals is older generations. How can older people not vote liberal, they are basically handing you retirement on a silver platter. The young like the own nothing be happy philosophy because that’s already what they are. If they have it their way the government will take your pension and property force you to join their group of have nots all lining up for government paydays where we are all equal. :lol: :lol:

If you are 50 plus and had a grade 6 ability to manage your money, you are not in the group in a world of hurt.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Okay, I'll play.

You’re the problem.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:27 am
albertdesalvo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:33 pm I have no dept, I own my house outright, I'm retired with a defined benefit pension, I have money in the bank and elsewhere, my income exceeds my expenses every month. I'm not sure how I'm headed for a world of hurt. I'm not sure how I'm totally screwed. Please explain how your dire predictions apply to people like me.
You’re the problem.
Sorry, how is this guy the problem? He’s done everything you’ve been advising people to do. No debt, live within your means, has cash, etc.
What’s his problem? should he cash in his pension for gold bullion?

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Okay, I'll play.

You’re the problem.
Wow. What’s next Rookie? Reminding us of how terrible the airlines are while you sit quietly in seat 28 E while connected to WIFI and bashing the crew up front as they proceed to get you safely to destination?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Bede wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:45 am
albertdesalvo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:33 pm I have no dept, I own my house outright, I'm retired with a defined benefit pension, I have money in the bank and elsewhere, my income exceeds my expenses every month. I'm not sure how I'm headed for a world of hurt. I'm not sure how I'm totally screwed. Please explain how your dire predictions apply to people like me.
You’re the problem.
Sorry, how is this guy the problem? He’s done everything you’ve been advising people to do. No debt, live within your means, has cash, etc.
What’s his problem? should he cash in his pension for gold bullion?
I'll rephrase.

Retirement entitlements are the problem.

And frankly? When I post I am posting to the young people. Who are struggling like there is no tomorrow.

Maybe the rich retired captains with gold plated pensions, a cottage, and a 7 series should just shut up? Seriously?

Go play some golf. I'm not talking to you.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Last edited by albertdesalvo on Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:00 amRetirement entitlements are the problem.
Hmmm... let's focus on that. Retirement entitlements... another word for pensions? Pensions are a problem? You mean the pension I contributed to by mandatory payroll deduction for 35+ years? Every two weeks? Forced savings?

Oh, I could have kept those contributions and invested them instead. Maybe I'd have hit the jackpot. Or maybe not.

Right now the guaranteed income for life looks pretty good to me.

I'm puzzled how this system is wrong. Please enlighten me.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:44 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:00 amRetirement entitlements are the problem.
Hmmm... let's focus on that. Retirement entitlements... another word for pensions? Pensions are a problem? You mean the pension I contributed to by mandatory payroll deduction for 35+ years? Every two weeks? Forced savings?

Oh, I could have kept those contributions and invested them instead. Maybe I'd have hit the jackpot. Or maybe not.

Right now the guaranteed income for life looks pretty good to me.

I'm puzzled how this system is wrong. Please enlighten me.
I think the suggestion is that your "guaranteed income for life" has to come from somewhere. If new money isn't appearing in the system fast enough to pay your pension, it has to be taken out of the pockets everyone else - people who don't have such a guarantee. To that extent, yes, you are the problem, because you were sold and maintain the expectation that you would be ok even if everyone else has to suffer for that to happen.

Taking things to their conclusion, with enough "guaranteed pensions for life" out there, then if the system isn't doing well enough your pension will cease to be paid because there's simply no money to pay it, and your "guarantee" will be worthless.

If it's a private pension fund, it will simply be declared insolvent, and you'll lose your income. That happens often enough.

If it's a pubic pension fund then as an alternative, the government can simply print more money and inflate its way out of the mess, in which case your guaranteed pension will still be paid but in a currency that is worthless (as was the case in the many many economies throughout history that have had super- and hyper-inflation, and the end effect will be the same.

Bottom line: your "guaranteed" pension can still very easily come to an end - it isn't as guaranteed as you think it is.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

photofly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:54 pmI think the suggestion is that your "guaranteed income for life" has to come from somewhere. If new money isn't appearing in the system fast enough to pay your pension, it has to be taken out of the pockets everyone else - people who don't have such a guarantee. To that extent, yes, you are the problem, because you expect to be ok while everyone else suffers.
I don't expect anyone to suffer. It's a pension plan funded by the members.

The money has to come from somewhere? Of course it does. How about from the 35 years of bi-weekly payroll deductions? It is going to take a while to earn that back.

It's a lot of money, consider if you will how you'd have done by putting that money into a high interest savings account every two weeks.

I didn't have that choice. You want to work here? Then you pay pension every two weeks. Period.

Looking back, I think being forced into the pension plan was the best thing that ever happened to me.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:09 pm
photofly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:54 pmI think the suggestion is that your "guaranteed income for life" has to come from somewhere. If new money isn't appearing in the system fast enough to pay your pension, it has to be taken out of the pockets everyone else - people who don't have such a guarantee. To that extent, yes, you are the problem, because you expect to be ok while everyone else suffers.

The money has to come from somewhere? Of course it does. How about from the 35 years of bi-weekly payroll deductions? It is going to take a while to earn that back.
I don't think your knowledge of economics is at the same level as your knowledge of flying. You don't seriously think a pension fund simply sits on your money for thirty years and then just pays it back to you, do you?
https://www.sunlife.ca/en/tools-and-res ... lans-work/
I didn't have that choice. You want to work here? Then you pay pension every two weeks. Period.
I'm not sure of the relevance of this.
Looking back, I think being forced into the pension plan was the best thing that ever happened to me.
If your pension fund defaults, you might feel differently. Would you like me to dig up some examples of pension funds that were robbed or badly managed and are no longer able to pay out? Investing in a pension is for sure low-risk - but it's not zero-risk.

Here's the US government stepping in to make up on some private pension plans that were under-funded:
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/pl ... sion-plans

Coincidentally, five of the top ten are airlines.

LIke I said, the money has to come from somewhere - and if the investments your fund made aren't producing, where will the money come from? Are you sure your government will always be willing to bail you out?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

photofly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:15 pmIf your pension fund defaults, you might feel differently. Would you like me to dig up some examples of pension funds that were robbed or badly managed
That won't be necessary, in my case there is no possibility of a default. Unless the government of Canada collapses, which seems unlikely. If that happens, I'll have bigger problems...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:25 pm
photofly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:15 pmIf your pension fund defaults, you might feel differently. Would you like me to dig up some examples of pension funds that were robbed or badly managed
That won't be necessary, in my case there is no possibility of a default. Unless the government of Canada collapses, which seems unlikely. If that happens, I'll have bigger problems...
Only national government pensions are at zero risk of collapse. They just print more money until the sums they have to pay you are reduced in real value enough. If things are bad enough you still get your monthly pension but what you get won't even cover the price of a stick of butter.

Inflation is running at 8% annually in Canada at the moment. is your pension going up by 8% a year? If the answer isn't yes, then the national currency is inflating and your pension is actually going down.

On the other hand if your public pension is going up 8% a year, then, again - you are the problem, because you're being paid out at everyone else's expense. Shooting you dead in the street will literally make everyone else better off in the future. Something to think about.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

If my gov pension defaults, I don't have to worry! We just rob the taxpayers to make up the difference!

No accountability with government. Maybe gov miss management should take the losses just like everyone else. Set up a pension and if it fails, enjoy! 😂

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:25 pm
Ahhhh. Now i get it. And the entitled attitude.

You have a defined benefit pension guaranteed by the government of Canada.

Yeah. You are the problem…..and the millions at the public trough, just like you.

That’s why everyone is now on defined contribution. Except, of course, government pensions, which can always be made whole by the taxpayer……..

Only someone like this, of course, trolls me, calls me an alarmist and says, no one need have any problem. The most entitled kind of all.

Must be nice, eh young guys out there reading, and just starting out?

The warm security blanket you allude to is unheard of to the young starting out now. What do you say to them?

“The budget balances itself”.

kgb531
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kgb531 »

Canadian pensions have strict funding requirements that must be annually to ensure it is properly funded. This is done regardless of financial position. As in, if a company is teetering financially, it is required to fund it's obligations with available cash even if that creates a loss.
The US is a gong show (shocking) when it comes to pension obligation requirements by the company.
Going forward, and for the last 3 decades, there are next to no DB pensions applicable to current employees (private or public). Defined contribution pensions have all but eliminated them from the landscape.
Haven't met anyone, recently retired, disappointed by the DC model.
photofly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:15 pm

I don't think your knowledge of economics is at the same level as your knowledge of flying. You don't seriously think a pension fund simply sits on your money for thirty years and then just pays it back to you, do you?
If your pension fund defaults, you might feel differently. Would you like me to dig up some examples of pension funds that were robbed or badly managed and are no longer able to pay out? Investing in a pension is for sure low-risk - but it's not zero-risk.

Here's the US government stepping in to make up on some private pension plans that were under-funded:

LIke I said, the money has to come from somewhere - and if the investments your fund made aren't producing, where will the money come from? Are you sure your government will always be willing to bail you out?

kgb531
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kgb531 »

Canadian pensions have strict funding requirements that must be annually to ensure it is properly funded. This is done regardless of financial position. As in, if a company is teetering financially, it is required to fund it's obligations with available cash even if that creates a loss.
The US is a gong show (shocking) when it comes to pension obligation requirements by the company.
Going forward, and for the last 3 decades, there are next to no DB pensions applicable to current employees (private or public). Defined contribution pensions have all but eliminated them from the landscape.
Haven't met anyone, recently retired, disappointed by the DC model.
photofly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:15 pm

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:40 pmYou have a defined benefit pension Yeah. You are the problem…..and the millions at the public trough, just like you.
How am I at the trough? I paid into a pension plan every two weeks for 35 years. Now I am withdrawing some of those funds. How am I at the trogh?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:52 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:40 pmYou have a defined benefit pension Yeah. You are the problem…..and the millions at the public trough, just like you.
How am I at the trough? I paid into a pension plan every two weeks for 35 years. Now I am withdrawing some of those funds. How am I at the trogh?
You are not at any “ trough”, your earned money made contributions over those 35 yrs, likewise health benefits. You are just collecting what’s owed after after those number of years. Enjoy the retirement and hopefully continued good health.

Return to “Covid”