Porter vs Jazz

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Porter or Jazz

Porter
65%
Jazz
35%

Total votes: 75

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Porter vs Jazz

Post by maverick12 »

Pros and cons/Which one would you guys choose and why?
---------- ADS -----------

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Porter vs Jazz

Post by vanislepilot »

A lot of people will probably say Jazz, mainly for the flow to AC. However I have seen FOs at porter turn down spots for captain because they got hired by AC.

Seems like Jazz, you have 4 bases which are very very hard to afford on their salary but near guaranteed flow into mainline. If you are sub 1000 hours, you may as well go there until you hit AC mins imo. If you got your As and near 2k hours, waiting in line may not be the best idea. If AC is your goal.

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flybyyou »

Aviation is all about timing. at this exact moment my answer would be Porter and that's a no brainer. 1900-2000$ a month just ain't it. and yes I don't count perdiems cause I didn't become a pilot to eat microwave food and Cookies at the double tree.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

flybyyou wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:35 pm Aviation is all about timing. at this exact moment my answer would be Porter and that's a no brainer. 1900-2000$ a month just ain't it. and yes I don't count perdiems cause I didn't become a pilot to eat microwave food and Cookies at the double tree.
Those cookies are amazing though!

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

Awesome replies, thanks guys! In your opinion, would turboprop time at Porter be competitive enough at AC for an OTS applicant or is jet time pretty much a must for OTS?

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

maverick12 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:56 am Awesome replies, thanks guys! In your opinion, would turboprop time at Porter be competitive enough at AC for an OTS applicant or is jet time pretty much a must for OTS?
Nothing says for sure, but a lot of porter guys with 0 jet time have gone to AC in the past few months/weeks

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

With all these firm orders from Porter , how many pilots are they going to need to fly these Embraers and Q400s over the next couple of years?

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
RobertChow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RobertChow »

Any more thought on that ? Jazz vs Porter. Can't decide myself.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

RobertChow wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:47 pm Any more thought on that ? Jazz vs Porter. Can't decide myself.
Take the first one that offers - you have no certainty that the other will call you. If they both call at once, then worry about the decision...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

If someone graduates from a destination Porter program afflicted university and with ATPL exams written can he join Porter with less than 1000hrs or with 700-850hrs in total?

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:06 pm If someone graduates from a destination Porter program afflicted university and with ATPL exams written can he join Porter with less than 1000hrs or with 700-850hrs in total?
i'm sorry for your affliction. Hope it gets better.

Return to “Employment Forum”