Revolving Doors

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Revolving Doors

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

What area of Canadas aviation (flying and fixing, they tend to go hand in hand per company) does everyone think has the highest turnover?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Revolving Doors

Post by Squaretail »

Flight instructing.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Squaretail wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:38 pm Flight instructing.
Yep that’s one I didn’t even think of

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Aerial Survey

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pitottubey wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:27 am Aerial Survey
I did it for years… I had a blast personally.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Fixed wing medevac in Manitoba

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

digits_ wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:48 am Fixed wing medevac in Manitoba
Ya I heard there’s low pay cumming in hot lol

Bueno74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bueno74 »

2 hour call-out charter management companies flying CARs maximum.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Really? What companies? I worked for a survey company over Covid and their pilots stuck around for years. Pay was good and they were treated well.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bede wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:08 am
Really? What companies? I worked for a survey company over Covid and their pilots stuck around for years. Pay was good and they were treated well.
I did it for years and got paid very well for it. The pay is way down from what it was. Depends on the companies, I’m too far removed now to know all the particulars but the bird towing jobs aren’t what they used to be

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bueno74 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:58 am 2 hour call-out charter management companies flying CARs maximum.
ABSOLUTELY, that goes without saying. Some are much worse than others unfortunately. Any company with 15-20 job postings at any one time for is a red flag imo

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Definitely FTUs!

I saw Springbank flight schools barely able to keep up with churning out Class 4 instructors in 2019. On days when they saw a Class 4 ride being successful, they saw one or two instructors leave for a faster airplane. Class 1 flight instructors were pretty much only allowed to work with Class 4 instructor candidates at the flying club and the air training college. Class 2-4 were allowed to do the "other" flying stuff.

EDIT: I am already hearing rumblings of things starting to move in this direction in the Vancouver and Calgary areas.

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

Bit off topic, are management company’s any good to work for as an AME? I can’t get any info from anyone on this topic.

Bueno74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bueno74 »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:14 am
Bueno74 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:58 am 2 hour call-out charter management companies flying CARs maximum.
ABSOLUTELY, that goes without saying. Some are much worse than others unfortunately. Any company with 15-20 job postings at any one time for is a red flag imo
Flightexec has posted the same job ad 6 times in the last few months. Hmmm…

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

praveen4143 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 pm Definitely FTUs!

I saw Springbank flight schools barely able to keep up with churning out Class 4 instructors in 2019. On days when they saw a Class 4 ride being successful, they saw one or two instructors leave for a faster airplane. Class 1 flight instructors were pretty much only allowed to work with Class 4 instructor candidates at the flying club and the air training college. Class 2-4 were allowed to do the "other" flying stuff.

EDIT: I am already hearing rumblings of things starting to move in this direction in the Vancouver and Calgary areas.
People are saying there might be a severe shortage of flight instructors by next spring??

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bueno74 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:26 am
Don’t know anything about them, they’re a midsized management company is all I know.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

ellinas wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:33 am

People are saying there might be a severe shortage of flight instructors by next spring??
There is no shortage of personnel in any role in Canada period! The licenses and training is out there, the will to work for garbage however is what’s scarce!

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:08 am

There is no shortage of personnel in any role in Canada period! The licenses and training is out there, the will to work for garbage however is what’s scarce!
I agree 100%, but how do we change it? Why can’t we just stop flying for shit wages but united we are not.

I’ve been involved in other such rallies and will do it again but only if we all do it.

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

ellinas wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:19 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:08 am

I agree 100%, but how do we change it? Why can’t we just stop flying for shit wages but united we are not.

I’ve been involved in other such rallies and will do it again but only if we all do it.
I don’t know, I fought that battle for decades and now I work in aviation almost exclusively states side (for this reason).
Legislation in Canada for employers to employ TFW’s / non immigrant workers at their leisure rather than promoting Canadians from within. Applying for and ALWAYS being approved for hours of averaging work schedules, our relatively small and costly industry with almost zero vetting by the government agency’s responsible for this conduct etc is far too loose and almost completely unenforced.

Canadas employers have far too many indulgences which affect wages and working conditions negatively with zero accountability. There is a surplus of personnel, but these employers know they’ll always be able to scrape by on low quality low wage workers where only the sycophantic desperate quislings survive.
They know the people are out there, and they know that because of the aviation sickness that mostly the neophytes are infected with (but not all), that they will almost always find personnel to work for 25% less than they’re willing to pay.
The fish rots from the head down, and there’s too much legislation needing change (that will never happen)for anything to correct the ailments in Canadas flying game.
Enforcement and consolidation of the rules we have is the only cure.

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Bueno74 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:26 am
Maybe they would get better results if they didn't show their hand with statements like:
• Ability to work in a 24/7 operation and to be On-Call unless time off is booked in advance and approved

Have Pratts - Will Travel

Return to “General Comments”