P4C members terminated

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: P4C members terminated

Post by Fanblade »

sportingrifle wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:52 am .

But because the terminated individual was a union guy, his termination for (alleged) bad behaviour has been twisted into an attack on our union, and by extension, ourselves and our contract. No, he was simply one of significant number of hiring mistakes we have made that got corrected.
Buckle_Up wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:18 pm What these guys did is serious and they will be lucky if all they get is fired. I don't see this a a shot at P4C in the least. The one clown was on track to get fired before he got laid off. He had made a name for himself during his PIT Course and the unabashed arrogance grew from there.

No ones going to drop tools to support these guys and if you think they'll get their jobs back - you are delusional.

From what I have seen P4C has some great ideas, may want to work on your delivery. No doubt ACPA is useless but this wasn't their doing and remember the MEC Chairman is the Grand Poohbah of the P4C Movement.

Unfortunately these three made a seriously bad move but for the rest of us - time to move on - nothing to see here.
A battle for control for ACPA has been raging since spring. Old guard vs new. The first shot was a failed attempt to remove the nationally elected NEM's from voting. The second shot was an attempted recall in YVR. The third shot has come from management. Firing one of the same people the old guard attacked in the spring.

Management has stepped in, in an attempt to pick which side they want to win in the internal union politics.

You can deny it all you want. Most people are reading the tea leaves the way I am. Internal union meddling. ACPA impotent. Political opposition dancing on graves.

I predict recent events will cause a landslide of voting in favor of change in the upcoming elections.

It really is too bad. The anger from the junior ranks was overwhelming directed at ACPA and not the company. However the companies choice to meddle in union politics just put the anger squarely on them as well.

I get that the company does not want to deal with a real union. But they don't have a choice. It's coming one way or another. They can play favourites and maybe delay it. But they won't stop it.

I'm really disgusted how many senior people are jumping on the good riddance band wagon

Do you remember Rainer? Pitbull. Our collective agreement was drastically better.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Fanblade on Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YesMassaPayson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YesMassaPayson »

Buckle_Up wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:18 pm What these guys did is serious and they will be lucky if all they get is fired. I don't see this a a shot at P4C in the least. The one clown was on track to get fired before he got laid off. He had made a name for himself during his PIT Course and the unabashed arrogance grew from there.

No ones going to drop tools to support these guys and if you think they'll get their jobs back - you are delusional.

From what I have seen P4C has some great ideas, may want to work on your delivery. No doubt ACPA is useless but this wasn't their doing and remember the MEC Chairman is the Grand Poohbah of the P4C Movement.

Unfortunately these three made a seriously bad move but for the rest of us - time to move on - nothing to see here.
KW,

I know you must still be salty from getting "clowned" in your NEM election, but spreading false management drivel isn't going to help your chances the next time you try to not get beat by 600 votes.

Everything in your post is false. Full stop.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

If you really are KW, imagine running for an elected union position and then cheering on the dismissal of your fellow union members. You should be ashamed. Better for you to just jump right to management, instead of wasting your time running for MEC and pretending to care about the pilot group.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Best way into management is through ACPA. Just have to give management what they want. I mean work with them. You eventually get rewarded.

Look no further than some of the architects of TA1. Handsomely rewarded

Buckle_Up
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Buckle_Up »

Of interest there was another termination hearing, outside of these 3, held earlier this summer. Another entitled little pr@ck whose scrawny @ss was saved by the VR LEC Chair you love to slam.

Hopefully 20 years down the road, when he grows up and is a Widebody Captain, he stops by the nursing home to thank him for saving his career.

Aviation 101, there are no secrets and everyone knows who you are.

Common denominator here largely points to Jazz hires. We certainly got some great guys and gals, but we did get some seriously defective ones who have returned from recall with an awful attitude.

I promise you if I was VP I would put a rapid end to the Jazz Flow Through, they can compete with all other applicants. Only benefactor here is Jazz, not AC.

The layoff was rough, four year flat pay is an embarrassment - everyone gets it - acting like spoiled brats isn't going to fix it.

As for your assertion that P4C will take over the association, good luck with that. Who is going to run for election after this mess. MEC Chairman is a great guy, smart and capable, but WAY over his head. There is a thousand times more Union experience in Flt Ops Management than the P4C group could ever muster.

The one guy you need heavily involved is D.M. in Vancouver and he has said he won't run for office.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

That's quite the way to describe your colleagues... scrawny, entitled, prick... wow...

And all the respect you seem to show for those that fück AC pilots.

"Thousand times more Union experience in Flight Ops Management"

Except that wasn't "Union experience." That was ladder climbing on the backs of the rest of us and at the expense of our contract and wawcon.

Those guys now in management didn't behave or act in the collective best interests of Air Canada pilots ergo that wasn't the behaviour of a unionist or union experience. I would describe it more as company bitch experience, and it shows in the way they run their department now. They are everyone's bitch. In Flight, Commercial, Sales, Ground Services... they all take priority over the needs of Flight Ops, the tail wags the dog in this airline.

Weak Pilot Union and staff. Weak Flight Ops management that doesn't stand up for it's pilots day to day or for the things that should take priority in our operations.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Buckle_Up wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:53 am There is a thousand times more Union experience in Flt Ops Management than the P4C group could ever muster.
This statement is true. ACPA is where people interested in management internships can be found. It’s a problem for the membership but some view it as a perk.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Buckle_Up wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:18 pm What these guys did is serious and they will be lucky if all they get is fired.
What exactly did they do?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Buckle_Up wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:53 am
As for your assertion that P4C will take over the association, good luck with that. Who is going to run for election after this mess.
More agents for change willing to take the risk.

You realize the above statement implies these guys were targeted. That the next ones will be too. That the “MESS” as you put it, is foreshadowing for anyone else interested in pursuing change within ACPA.

Sadly though you are likely correct. How far management is willing to go in culling “problem pilots” who want real union representation is yet to be seen. How much cheering for the culling of those same pilots from within ACPA is yet to be seen. You may think management has scared the living crap out of the membership. What actually has happened is ACPA and the company have shown their hand. They are team mates at the moment.

You might scare some back under a rock. Others you just increase resolve.

One of the problems going on is the perceived value of a job at AC. It’s dropped. With it people are willing to take more risk.

Last edited by Fanblade on Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

altiplano wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:31 am That's quite the way to describe your colleagues... scrawny, entitled, prick... wow...

And all the respect you seem to show for those that fück AC pilots.

"Thousand times more Union experience in Flight Ops Management"
The anger and hostility just means they feel threatened. They are worried status quo is at risk of being upended. They know the possibility of loss of control could happen between now and this fall.

YYZ Chair just stayed in the hands of pushing for a real union. 4 more elections to go.

That is a threat to ACPA, Management wannabes and Flight Ops management.

You have to know all entities will act in self interest. It's why we have had firings. It’s why ACPA supporters are cheering. It's an attempt to scare off new people willing to stand up for change, especially under a P4C banner.

Remember the P4C group has absolutely humiliated ACPA with it's performance review stats. You humiliate people like that and you will always get an angry blow back. Particularly so when it looks like your RP humiliated you. The sense of indignation is too strong to swallow for some.

The one positive I have noticed is that no one is defending ACPA's performance anymore.

Last edited by Fanblade on Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Fanblade wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:07 am The one positive I have noticed is that no one is defending ACPA's performance anymore.
It's awfully difficult to defend!
Screenshot_20220819-115336.png
Screenshot_20220819-115336.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3101 times

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Buckle_Up wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:53 am
I promise you if I was VP I would put a rapid end to the Jazz Flow Through, they can compete with all other applicants. Only benefactor here is Jazz, not AC.
So you don’t plan on lasting long in management then?

If the flow through was cut off, Jazz would turn back into a training turnstile. The flow through is in place because it’s a cheap way to attract and retain pilots at the regional. It very much does benefit AC.

How long do you think your VP spot will last after you finish driving up AC’s costs and create a crewing problem at the airlines only regional?

We_tu_lo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by We_tu_lo »

Buckle_Up wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:53 am Of interest there was another termination hearing, outside of these 3, held earlier this summer. Another entitled little pr@ck whose scrawny @ss was saved by the VR LEC Chair you love to slam.

Hopefully 20 years down the road, when he grows up and is a Widebody Captain, he stops by the nursing home to thank him for saving his career.

Common denominator here largely points to Jazz hires. We certainly got some great guys and gals, but we did get some seriously defective ones who have returned from recall with an awful attitude.

The layoff was rough, four year flat pay is an embarrassment - everyone gets it - acting like spoiled brats isn't going to fix it.

As for your assertion that P4C will take over the association, good luck with that. Who is going to run for election after this mess. MEC Chairman is a great guy, smart and capable, but WAY over his head. There is a thousand times more Union experience in Flt Ops Management than the P4C group could ever muster.

The one guy you need heavily involved is D.M. in Vancouver and he has said he won't run for office.
Classic bootlicking boomer "got mine, frick you" talk. Enjoy the flavour of management soles while the rest of us fight for better work conditions. P4C has the backing of the most powerful pilot union in the world, numbnuts.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

We_tu_lo wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:46 am
Buckle_Up wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:53 am Of interest there was another termination hearing, outside of these 3, held earlier this summer. Another entitled little pr@ck whose scrawny @ss was saved by the VR LEC Chair you love to slam.

Classic bootlicking boomer "got mine, frick you" talk. Enjoy the flavour of management soles while the rest of us fight for better work conditions. P4C has the backing of the most powerful pilot union in the world, numbnuts.
I think you are making an error if you believe what is happening within ACPA is generational. Yes it is true it is likely part of the issue but I don’t think it is the root of the problem.

It’s the people and they exist in every generation.

Some history.

Post bankruptcy, somewhere around 2007-08 a group of pilots decided it was better to work with the company. The idea was that if AC became profitable we would get to share in that profitability. Lol.
It was called the “new relationship”. Within that relationship we would strive to help the company make money. That was the goal.

ACPA became by in large full of Company minded elected reps. They in turn staffed committees with company minded pilots. If you didn’t work with the company as a committee member you were turfed. Staff was hired to be company minded. LRD instructed to be the same. All with idea that there would be a big pay off for us once the company was profitable.

We became a union without Unionists. We became an extension of management

We agreed to zero cost bargaining. So for the pilot group to get a raise we had to give. We gave pay cuts for Rouge. We gave the company pay cuts for FO’s and RP's. We gave up our pension for future hires. We gave the company cheap cheap new hires.

As you are probably aware a revolution started after TA1 but was quashed by the company with the help of government. We came out worse than if we had just accepted all those cuts. Proof positive to some that we must work with the company at all cost.

We were warned in 2014 during our governance review that our idea that AC profitability would lead to a better contract was folly.

Quote -Hoping that economic conditions improve with Air Canada so more can be demanded at the bargaining table is not a sound go forward strategy.

Nevertheless we went back to the old ways with the old group completely focused on company profitability.

10 year contract locking us in at post bankruptcy wages just prior to AC showing profitability. That wasn’t a coincidence. We were played.

But that didn’t stop the mindset. 10% cut for Cargo. Best fit reserve. ACPA having no issue with the company stripping pilots of CEWS. And the loss of years of service as a result. Why? We need to save the company. Company first pilots second.

Now walks in some people that clearly see the folly in all of this Company first, pilots second mindset.

They get fired upon from all sides. Company minded ACPA doesn’t want them around. Company minded pilots don’t want them around. The company doesn’t want them around. They get left to twist in the wind.

But remember company minded pilots come in every generation. You have them too.

The key now is to remove such people from union elected positions. In turn they will reverse what has been created.

They will appoint pilot minded committees. The company and the company minded ACPA reps will scream.

They will direct staff to be pilot minded. The company and the company minded ACPA reps will scream.

They will direct LRD to defend our CBA. Grievances will be filed. The company and the company minded ACPA reps will scream.

But all of this takes time and more importantly control.

People think differently. We all have biases. It’s human. The overly company minded come in all age groups. They belong in management, not a union. We will just have to drag them along kicking and screaming. I advise earplugs

CantTurfdaMurph
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CantTurfdaMurph »

Buckle Up -

Thank you for the support. Make sure your buckle is off & your pants are down next time you're on the island, I'll make sure you to personally thank you. No need to wait for the nursing home here.

This decade of avoiding the flight line is a bit tiring, the Cottage doesn't repair itself

It's not easy representing one member all summer on full displacement, but I do enjoy the ferry ride, paid for by the suckers flying to confinement in Hong Kong. Hope the hotel has better reception than up in cottage country - could make for a tough few days of isolation or maybe worse. But like any good leader, you get your troops to eat bullets while the base boss eats caviar.

As I always say - Capture that flying, at all costs, at any wage, under any conditions - cause you won't see me flying freight or anywhere near China!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Fanblade wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:00 am
Your entire summary was on point. Shame the opportunists have infected the union to such a degree that it's an absolute uphill marathon to get those cancer wads out. Watching ALPA work their thing at most of the other major carriers in Canada, you can see, if they had a chance at AC, the entire industry would jump.

AC is like an old man driving their giant Buick on a one lane road with all the other operators lined up behind waiting to pass. If AC raises wages, and picks up the pace, the rest of the industry will begin to accelerate. ALPA getting into AC and revamping the contract to something closely resembling ANY of the flag or cargo contracts to the south operating similar equipment, would be glorious.

Lesss gooo!

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

Fanblade,
You have some of your facts and dates wrong.
I’m not going to break them all down because it’s summer and I have much better things to do. However, just one or two points:

The financial crisis in 2008-9 almost resulted in another visit through CCAA which, in 2003-4, was the largest crisis to our wages and working conditions in our history. It would have been worse in 2009, since Monty had left us in a position that DIP financing was unlikely. All the unions realized this and accepted the fact they needed to work together and resolve the real issues.

Reread the governance audit again (search negotiation audit in ACPA.ca) and you will remember that a very militant approach took over after the TA and was responsible for the loss of hundreds of millions of dollars in Wawcon. Maybe try to get your hands on the initial audit that was done internally.

IMO, the 10 year deal passed because the pilot group trusted Ben and the growth he promised if we as a group committed to his plan. 84% I think? Another reason it passed is because the silent majority did not want to see another group of crazies lead us out on a wildcat strike only to be arbitrated back to work again.

History repeats itself and the P4C group seems to have forgotten this point.

CantTurfdaMurph
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CantTurfdaMurph »

Ratherbe wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:42 am
I’m not going to break them all down because it’s summer and I have much better things to do.
This is my 9th summer off in a row & I hear ya!!

ACPA full displacement is the best gig in North America.

ALPA = very bad for my summer plans.

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

And then there are the childish parodies. Don’t give up your daytime job.
Btw, I am a line pilot.

YesMassaPayson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YesMassaPayson »

Things we won't see in 2022:

-Inflation below 6%
-Blake actually helping represent pilots
-Blake actually showing up to operate a Hong Kong