Page 1 of 2
United, Delta or American?
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm
by Flatline
Hey Folks
I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.
1. Converting my Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP
2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?
4. Which one of the Majors is the best to work for?
My experience is as follows:
Green Card: Via Family Stream and not EB2-NIW Visa
Age: 39
Total Time: 3500hrs
3.5years Medevac/Corporate
2.5at Jazz
2.2years at AC(including furlough)
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:28 pm
by Tbayer2021
I don't have any of those answers but I will say one thing. Probably a bad idea to quit a job at the flag carrier here to start looking for something in the States. I definitely would jump to the US if I could, but I'd line up a job before quitting the one I have here.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:42 pm
by JHR
Congratulations on deciding to leave Canadian aviation behind!
I just completed the FAA conversion. This pretty much sums it up.
https://skiesmag.com/news/transport-can ... rtificate/
I would use the sheppard ATP groundschool. They don't have a Canadian specific study course but the questions (around 1900 of them) from the ATP course are exactly what you will see on the 60 question conversion exam.
Good luck!
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:48 pm
by altiplano
I'd go to the first one that called.
I wouldn't go to a US regional to get there though.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:20 pm
by schnitzel2k3
All pay amazing, Delta is king though for life. I think they are #1 or #2 and go back and forth with FedEx I believe.
As far as the process, not difficult at all. Not cheap either - plan for between 7-10k USD to convert to ATP (sim course is exoensive and that factors for hotels, meals and transportation). Price varies by training supplier.
Exams and FAA paperwork is cheap in comparison.
Tax wise, as far as the accountant I spoke to, she said you only pay the higher of the 2 taxes, likely Canadian income tax only, as the US has a special tax arrangement with Canada. Confirm with your personal accountant on this matter.
Likely you'll want to move entirely and save on the tax.
Skipping the NIW process is critical at this point. That family green card is key. How it applies to you at 39, none of my bizness.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:24 am
by 172ReliefPilot
Flatline wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm
Hey Folks
I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.
1. Converting my Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP
2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?
4. Which one of the Majors is the best to work for?
My experience is as follows:
Green Card: Via Family Stream and not EB2-NIW Visa
Age: 39
Total Time: 3500hrs
3.5years Medevac/Corporate
2.5at Jazz
2.2years at AC(including furlough)
converting from a canadian atpl to atp can be expensive out of pocket. Most likely a regional would pay for the atp-ctp course for you when hired. Having the atp in hand, and applying to a US major would be a big plus though and probably let you skip the regionals.
Congrats on getting the US visa, mines at the NVC and should be done this year.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:10 am
by Arnie Pye
I have a friend looking into this right now. I seem to remember him telling me that it wasn't possible to have his wife and kids stay in Canada. Commuting wasn't possible with the visa options available to any Canadian. They all require residency in the US which is different than the Australian visas.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 am
by Aspiredtofly
Flatline wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm
Hey Folks
I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.
1. Converting my Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP
2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?
4. Which one of the Majors is the best to work for?
My experience is as follows:
Green Card: Via Family Stream and not EB2-NIW Visa
Age: 39
Total Time: 3500hrs
3.5years Medevac/Corporate
2.5at Jazz
2.2years at AC(including furlough)
This is a bit off, I assume money and QOL is something your worrying about or just something else. Please do a favour this is my suggestion, rethink the decision that your making if your not comfortable at the main carrier look at others that suits your needs. Moving to the US especially in times when crime rates are increasing and the fact that there is no garuntee that your days are numbered is a very big risk. Career can also be made in many different places, even in Canada. I'm not aware of what your goals are neither do I have to involve in it again its just a suggestion, it's your wish on what you decide. Goodluck
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:00 am
by Canadaflyer46
Aspiredtofly wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 am
Flatline wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm
Hey Folks
I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.
1. Converting my Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP
2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?
4. Which one of the Majors is the best to work for?
My experience is as follows:
Green Card: Via Family Stream and not EB2-NIW Visa
Age: 39
Total Time: 3500hrs
3.5years Medevac/Corporate
2.5at Jazz
2.2years at AC(including furlough)
This is a bit off, I assume money and QOL is something your worrying about or just something else. Please do a favour this is my suggestion, rethink the decision that your making if your not comfortable at the main carrier look at others that suits your needs. Moving to the US especially in times when crime rates are increasing and the fact that there is no garuntee that your days are numbered is a very big risk. Career can also be made in many different places, even in Canada. I'm not aware of what your goals are neither do I have to involve in it again its just a suggestion, it's your wish on what you decide. Goodluck
I’d chance the crime rates you speak of for a shot at earning double or triple what an airline pilot earns in Canada. Oh and pay less tax, and live somewhere you can go outside in the winter. The list it endless! If you have a green card get outta here to whoever calls you first and don’t look back!
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:43 am
by GRK2
Flatline wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm
Hey Folks
I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.
1. Converting my Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP
2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?
4. Which one of the Majors is the best to work for?
My experience is as follows:
Green Card: Via Family Stream and not EB2-NIW Visa
Age: 39
Total Time: 3500hrs
3.5years Medevac/Corporate
2.5at Jazz
2.2years at AC(including furlough)
All good things, but I would caution you on one huge issue. The pension plans at all these companies are not privately held like they are in Canada. Go back in history to the days when at least Delta (and others) declared chapter 11 bankruptcy and the pilots lost every dollar of their pensions. I some cases it was nearly a million dollars per pilot. Gone with the wind and never recovered. Airlines being airlines in the states and with a coming recession I would gamble very carefully with my career, and weight that heavily before I left all because "they pay so much more". I flew with more than a few ex Delta Captains overseas as they were out of work after 911 and the company was restructuring under Chapter 11 and broke. They lost it all. Remember Frank Lorenzo?
Good luck though.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:12 am
by Aspiredtofly
Canadaflyer46 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:00 am
Aspiredtofly wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 am
Flatline wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm
Hey Folks
I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.
1. Converting my Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP
2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?
4. Which one of the Majors is the best to work for?
My experience is as follows:
Green Card: Via Family Stream and not EB2-NIW Visa
Age: 39
Total Time: 3500hrs
3.5years Medevac/Corporate
2.5at Jazz
2.2years at AC(including furlough)
This is a bit off, I assume money and QOL is something your worrying about or just something else. Please do a favour this is my suggestion, rethink the decision that your making if your not comfortable at the main carrier look at others that suits your needs. Moving to the US especially in times when crime rates are increasing and the fact that there is no garuntee that your days are numbered is a very big risk. Career can also be made in many different places, even in Canada. I'm not aware of what your goals are neither do I have to involve in it again its just a suggestion, it's your wish on what you decide. Goodluck
I’d chance the crime rates you speak of for a shot at earning double or triple what an airline pilot earns in Canada. Oh and pay less tax, and live somewhere you can go outside in the winter. The list it endless! If you have a green card get outta here to whoever calls you first and don’t look back!
Your earnings will never be close to how you feel when your kid get shot at school by a so called "mentally ill" person or how a police officer can pull a trigger and end your life as if it's a super mario game. I'll trade all that low pay for the safety of my life and family. Many would agree or disagree with this, but at the end its your own opinion and the choice you make for the best
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:26 am
by rudder
DL and you should all relocate (I assume wife is entitled based on your status. Kids if minors. Not sure if 18+).
I would still take an AA or UA offer if it comes first. Skip the regionals. The only restriction that will apply to you after ATPL conversion is 2 years of Part 121 FO time prior to Part 121 upgrade.
Good luck and enjoy! You will make 2-3x as much as CDN career and pay at least 25% less in income taxes. Pension at the top 8 carriers is excellent (16-18% company only contribution to 401k). Cost of living is way cheaper so long as you stay out of big cities in CA and NY.
Look to pick a non-tax state for residence and tax purposes. There are 8 of them. Most pilots choose FL or TX.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:09 pm
by schnitzel2k3
rudder wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:26 am
DL and you should all relocate (I assume wife is entitled based on your status. Kids if minors. Not sure if 18+).
I would still take an AA or UA offer if it comes first. Skip the regionals. The only restriction that will apply to you after ATPL conversion is 2 years of Part 121 FO time prior to Part 121 upgrade.
Good luck and enjoy! You will make 2-3x as much as CDN career and pay at least 25% less in income taxes. Pension at the top 8 carriers is excellent (16-18% company only contribution to 401k). Cost of living is way cheaper so long as you stay out of big cities in CA and NY.
Look to pick a non-tax state for residence and tax purposes. There are 8 of them. Most pilots choose FL or TX.

Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:35 pm
by JHR
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:34 am
by Stinky
There is something called commuter status for the green card. That would allow you to live in Canada and work in the US.
Time doesn’t count towards becoming a US citizen though. You’ll also pay taxes in Canada via the tax treaty. (You aren’t double taxed)
Problem with this plan is that you live in Canada and don’t enjoy the much better quality of life in the US.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:28 am
by Ash Ketchum
I am trying to do the same move except with the EB2-NIW visa. Its a huge gamble though and I could potentially be out $10,000-20,000 in lawyers and filing fees and still get denied. Green card through family or marriage is definitely the way to go.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:46 pm
by GoHomeLeg
If ou live in Canada and work in the states, you will have to file taxes in both countries. Hiring a cross border accountant is very expensive. US/Canada cross border taxes are very complicated. If you're a green card holder living in Canada, US immigration will take it away if they find out you are not present in the US ( someone mentioned a commuter status for green card holders. I could be wrong). Also, the IRS will come after any TFSAs and mutual funds you have in Canada since they are tax free account. Both countries will tax you on dividends earn in your stock portfolio.
Lastly commuting isn't fun. You're QOL will diminish rapidly. You're wife if married will start to hate that you're gone. You'll be junior will a shit schedule at a regional or mainline carrier stuck doing pairings with two to three days of in between. That's enough time to fly home wash your clothes and go back to sit standby all day to commute back to base somewhere in the US.
If you have good seniority at AC, think hard before you exhaust yourself commuting. You will rarely see your kids. Pilot have some of the biggest divorce rates. This will not help.
Respectfully
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:46 pm
by Stinky
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:13 pm
by Cessna 180
GoHomeLeg wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:46 pm
If ou live in Canada and work in the states, you will have to file taxes in both countries. Hiring a cross border accountant is very expensive. US/Canada cross border taxes are very complicated. If you're a green card holder living in Canada, US immigration will take it away if they find out you are not present in the US ( someone mentioned a commuter status for green card holders. I could be wrong). Also, the IRS will come after any TFSAs and mutual funds you have in Canada since they are tax free account. Both countries will tax you on dividends earn in your stock portfolio.
Lastly commuting isn't fun. You're QOL will diminish rapidly. You're wife if married will start to hate that you're gone. You'll be junior will a shit schedule at a regional or mainline carrier stuck doing pairings with two to three days of in between. That's enough time to fly home wash your clothes and go back to sit standby all day to commute back to base somewhere in the US.
If you have good seniority at AC, think hard before you exhaust yourself commuting. You will rarely see your kids. Pilot have some of the biggest divorce rates. This will not help.
Respectfully
I remember asking an immigration attorney a while back about commuter status on an F3 (most likely for your situation I'm guessing), it's not allowed. It's designed so you can join your family member down in the USA (not that there are any real restrictions once you're there). I would move the family down the the US because they should be able to get green cards through you. EVen if you want to come back, do it after 5 years when you all have citizenship.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:44 am
by Stinky
I’d agree that choosing a life as a commuter with none of the benefits of living in the US or gaining citizenship for your family wouldn’t be worth it.
When I immigrated one of the big draws was gaining citizenship for my wife and kids. They’re all dual citizens now.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:23 am
by schnitzel2k3
GoHomeLeg wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:46 pm
If ou live in Canada and work in the states, you will have to file taxes in both countries. Hiring a cross border accountant is very expensive. US/Canada cross border taxes are very complicated. If you're a green card holder living in Canada, US immigration will take it away if they find out you are not present in the US ( someone mentioned a commuter status for green card holders. I could be wrong). Also, the IRS will come after any TFSAs and mutual funds you have in Canada since they are tax free account. Both countries will tax you on dividends earn in your stock portfolio.
Lastly commuting isn't fun. You're QOL will diminish rapidly. You're wife if married will start to hate that you're gone. You'll be junior will a shit schedule at a regional or mainline carrier stuck doing pairings with two to three days of in between. That's enough time to fly home wash your clothes and go back to sit standby all day to commute back to base somewhere in the US.
If you have good seniority at AC, think hard before you exhaust yourself commuting. You will rarely see your kids. Pilot have some of the biggest divorce rates. This will not help.
Respectfully
With all due respect m8, I believe you are incorrect on everything. 3 to 4 years in a U.S major, with an early bid to the first available Captain spot (at YR 2) you will have exceeded your max pay at AC with another 25 years to go, not factoring for differences in taxes or COL. Sad but true.Tax treaty only makes you pay 1 of the higher taxes, i.e Trudeau's Vacation Fund. It's worth the commitment to go full American.
You'll be busy, but is it any different commuting with AC without a commuting policy. Pretty sure EVERY U.S carrier has one as standard...
AC is so far behind the progressive employment curve it's hard to defend. AC barely exceeds regional levels in the U.S for new employees. They are so big, so protected and so arrogant (the management at AC) that normal rules for business don't apply to them.
Sad.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:09 pm
by WellThatAgedWell
Funny how all the rhetoric is anti-American in this country. We hate American healthcare, we hate American freedoms. We love socialist Canada and our shit care and shit pay! NOT!
Nurses, pilots, dental hygienist, etc, etc. everyone wants the hell out of here. I guess it’s socially unacceptable to be an evil conservative who wants more pay and better healthcare right? Looks like most of us are more conservative than we think.
I heard being a nurse in America can be a shitty stressful job. Same as being a nurse in Canada. The only difference about the shit job in America is being a nurse pays 3x as much there and the cost of living is not astronomical.
So I have a question, why do we vote for liberal clowns and why don’t we just improve where we live? Canada is just going to become more socialist as you all leave. This is something we should actually fear is the erosion of our democracy with more socialist authoritarian government.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:28 pm
by JHR
The socialists are here to stay. The voters love handouts.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm
by newlygrounded
Canadaflyer46 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:00 am
Aspiredtofly wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 am
Flatline wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm
Hey Folks
I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.
1. Converting my Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP
2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?
4. Which one of the Majors is the best to work for?
My experience is as follows:
Green Card: Via Family Stream and not EB2-NIW Visa
Age: 39
Total Time: 3500hrs
3.5years Medevac/Corporate
2.5at Jazz
2.2years at AC(including furlough)
This is a bit off, I assume money and QOL is something your worrying about or just something else. Please do a favour this is my suggestion, rethink the decision that your making if your not comfortable at the main carrier look at others that suits your needs. Moving to the US especially in times when crime rates are increasing and the fact that there is no garuntee that your days are numbered is a very big risk. Career can also be made in many different places, even in Canada. I'm not aware of what your goals are neither do I have to involve in it again its just a suggestion, it's your wish on what you decide. Goodluck
I’d chance the crime rates you speak of for a shot at earning double or triple what an airline pilot earns in Canada. Oh and pay less tax, and live somewhere you can go outside in the winter. The list it endless! If you have a green card get outta here to whoever calls you first and don’t look back!
US and Canadian crime rates aren't directly comparable. Almost all the crime in cities like chicago or NY happen in area's you'd never visit.
Re: United, Delta or American?
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:56 am
by Winnikegger
Aspiredtofly wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 am
This is a bit off, I assume money and QOL is something your worrying about or just something else. Please do a favour this is my suggestion, rethink the decision that your making if your not comfortable at the main carrier look at others that suits your needs.
Moving to the US especially in times when crime rates are increasing and the fact that there is no garuntee that your days are numbered is a very big risk. Career can also be made in many different places, even in Canada. I'm not aware of what your goals are neither do I have to involve in it again its just a suggestion, it's your wish on what you decide. Goodluck
GRK2 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:43 am
All good things, but I would caution you on one huge issue. The pension plans at all these companies are not privately held like they are in Canada. Go back in history to the days when at least Delta (and others) declared chapter 11 bankruptcy and the pilots lost every dollar of their pensions. I some cases it was nearly a million dollars per pilot. Gone with the wind and never recovered. Airlines being airlines in the states and with a coming recession I would gamble very carefully with my career, and weight that heavily before I left all because "they pay so much more". I flew with more than a few ex Delta Captains overseas as they were out of work after 911 and the company was restructuring under Chapter 11 and broke. They lost it all. Remember Frank Lorenzo?
Good luck though.
These two posts are comical
The Canadian rosey glasses are thick here
US pilots retirement plans are all based on percentages of earnings and it is their money.
Bankruptcy has zero bearing on it
I reckon its worth at least twice and probably triple what an AC pilot will make on their B level pay CWIPP plan