IFR and IPC clarification please - canada

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pkofman
Rank 0
Rank 0

IFR and IPC clarification please - canada

Post by pkofman »

Can someone please clarify this. I read the cars but I have found some conflicting info..

question;

My ifr 2 year date comes up on sept 3 2022.
am I required to complete my Ipc before the sept 3 2022 or am I good to go until the end of sept 2022 ( the end of the month in which your rating expires). I found references that indicate that might be the case.
in other material is says within 24 months from your initial test date, ending on the renewal date ( for me sept 3 2022)
Someone here will know this answer im sure
thank you. Peter
---------- ADS -----------

Peter Kofman
yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: IFR and IPC clarification please - canada

Post by yowflyer23 »

My interpretation of the AC is that it expires at exactly 24 months. So if you did your IPC/PPC/Flight Test on Sept 3, 2020, you need to do the IPC prior to Sept 3, 2022.

On the topic of staying instrument current, does anybody know what is considered to be a level B, C, or D flight simulator? Can I fulfill my 6-6-6 requirements in the Redbird flight sim at my local flying club?

pkofman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pkofman »

thank you for the answer and im pretty sure you are correct

here is a reference to your sim question,,,, im sorry but this is older article and aopa.. There are faa and tc references to your question, but nothing completely answers the ,b/c,d in plain English.! Reading the tc circular on simulator qualification is mind numbing. If I was going to follow up or research your question I would call Redbird directly and talk to one of their tech's.. thank you for your assistance with my question

Pete

Peter Kofman
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

yowflyer23 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:03 am My interpretation of the AC is that it expires at exactly 24 months. So if you did your IPC/PPC/Flight Test on Sept 3, 2020, you need to do the IPC prior to Sept 3, 2022.

On the topic of staying instrument current, does anybody know what is considered to be a level B, C, or D flight simulator? Can I fulfill my 6-6-6 requirements in the Redbird flight sim at my local flying club?
You can renew on a Redbird flight training device provided that that particular device has been certified by TC for IPC renewals. In general level B C and D represent specific aircraft cockpits and flight characteristics while level 2 and 5 do not.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Aviatard wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:23 am You can renew on a Redbird flight training device provided that that particular device has been certified by TC for IPC renewals. In general level B C and D represent specific aircraft cockpits and flight characteristics while level 2 and 5 do not.
Just bear in mind that the FTD will only be certified for IPCs in certain aircraft, and for certain routes. For example Victoria Flying Club's Redbird is only certified for IPCs using the PA-44. (That was from 2020-2021, unless it has changed). The reason is that a TC inspector needs to fly the route and aircraft in question in the sim before it is authorized for IPCs.

The use of a FTD for instrument practice in general is a separate authorization from TC, and usually allows any configuration.

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:37 am
Aviatard wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:23 am You can renew on a Redbird flight training device provided that that particular device has been certified by TC for IPC renewals. In general level B C and D represent specific aircraft cockpits and flight characteristics while level 2 and 5 do not.
Just bear in mind that the FTD will only be certified for IPCs in certain aircraft, and for certain routes. For example Victoria Flying Club's Redbird is only certified for IPCs using the PA-44. (That was from 2020-2021, unless it has changed). The reason is that a TC inspector needs to fly the route and aircraft in question in the sim before it is authorized for IPCs.

The use of a FTD for instrument practice in general is a separate authorization from TC, and usually allows any configuration.
So if the Redbird simulator is good enough for an IPC, could someone rent that same redbird sim with an instructor and hash out their 6 hours and 6 approaches or would they need to rent a Twin aircraft/have a job that keeps them current?

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

yowflyer23 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:07 pm
CpnCrunch wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:37 am

So if the Redbird simulator is good enough for an IPC, could someone rent that same redbird sim with an instructor and hash out their 6 hours and 6 approaches or would they need to rent a Twin aircraft/have a job that keeps them current?
Yes

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

yowflyer23 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:03 am My interpretation of the AC is that it expires at exactly 24 months. So if you did your IPC/PPC/Flight Test on Sept 3, 2020, you need to do the IPC prior to Sept 3, 2022.

It's a little confusing. The CARS just say "24 months", which means you have until the end of the month (according to section 28 of the Interpretation Act). But TC's interpretation (in both 401-005 and 401-004) says it's "day for day...pursuant to section 28 of the interpretation act". However section 28 of the interpretation act says it's not day for day, it's until the start/end of the month. All very confusing. Am I missing something?

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

Ipc is exactly 24 months.

Other things like medical use language like "first day of the 25th month" to indicate you get till the end of the month.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Deleted

Last edited by CpnCrunch on Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:57 pm
khedrei wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:44 pm Ipc is exactly 24 months.

Other things like medical use language like "first day of the 25th month" to indicate you get till the end of the month.
Anything in Canadian law that mentions a period of months before or after a specified day is automatically to the start/end of the month (NOT to the day), and doesn't need to say "first day of". See section 28 of the Interpretation Act:

https://lois-laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/act ... l#h-279382

This is why your annual and pitot-static and ELT checks are good until the end of the month (see other discussions here on avcanada about section 28, discussing this very subject). 401-005 and 401-004 both even mention section 28 of the Interpretation Act, but for some reason in the very same sentence they seem to say the exact opposite.
I renew mine before the day of as my local CASI and PE's have told me.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

khedrei wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:22 pm I renew mine before the day of as my local CASI and PE's have told me.
My error. The interpretation act section 28 is in fact day for day.

Return to “Flight Training”