Air Canada Denying Pax Compensation

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Air Canada Denying Pax Compensation

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/08/07/ ... laims/amp/

Too big to fail me thinks.

Likely the same excuse AC management will use on the pilot group come contract negotiation. 'Due to the continuation of COVID-19, and solar flares, earth spinning faster...erm um...we cannot accomodate your requested package, as it would cause a safety issue'.
---------- ADS -----------

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Canada Denying Pax Compensation

Post by Raymond Hall »

Two weeks ago my son was traveling full-fare from YYZ to DCA (Ronald Reagan, close to downtown) on a flight leaving around 4:00 PM. His flight was cancelled, apparently, "due to weather," according to the text message that he received advising him of the cancellation. There was no issue with the YYZ weather, as the airport was not only fully operational, but very busy. And there was no problem with the DCA weather, or the New York weather, as all the other flights were going to all the nearby and en-route airports, including IAD.

So he was re-assigned to a later flight to IAD (Washington Dulles, 30 miles south). No, can't be compensated. Same city, so you have to pay your own way to town and arrive hours later.

When he arrived at the departure gate for the IAD flight leaving at 8:20 PM, after waiting for four hours, the Agent made an announcement that the aircraft, then sitting at the gate, had a mechanical problem. Repeat, several more identical messages over the next few hours.

But at the very same time he was listening to the gate announcements describing the "mechanical" problem, he was receiving text message updates saying that the flight was delayed, you guessed it, "due to weather." Finally, after midnight, they substituted an aircraft and the flight departed around 1:00 AM. Arrival in Dulles around 3:00 AM.

Of course, at that time of the night, the subway isn't running so he had to spend over U.S. $55 for a Uber to get to his apartment downtown.

Nope. No compensation. Air Canada doesn't pay when flights depart late, "due to weather."

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

They’re putting whatever delay they can on to avoid paying up. IE: crew rest delay called maintenance delay. I’ve heard it several times. No ground crew delayed due to “safety” aka sorry no money for you.

Let’s Go Brandon
TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

It is pretty ridiculous they can just say anything. I was on a flight that was delayed 12 hours prior to departure. Plane showed up and boarded at the revised time. Captain came on and said we just need a few doors closed, we will pushback in five to ten minutes. Fifteen minutes later, "sorry, the company has told us to wait for some cargo to arrive." Finally depart about 45 minutes later, numerous people then miss what had become tight connections...but the text says, sorry, the plane arrived late. Sorry, no compensation or hotel and here is a website to book hotels through. Sad that Air Canada can decide to delay the plane for $$$ reasons, and screw a fair portion of the passengers on the flight just because. Sadly we have no better options in Canada.

Return to “Air Canada”