All you underpaid airline pilots...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: All you underpaid airline pilots...

Post by Ash Ketchum »

RockSalty wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:28 am
negative_g wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:53 am Anyone else here hear back from Brookfield or even potentially Frontier yet?
I did, they seem interested but require the FAA ATP to interview. I have roughly 2500 hours and am left seat at jazz.
Was this from Frontier themselves or Brookfield?
Brookfield
---------- ADS -----------

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

BE02 Driver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:43 am 5. The pay is way, way more than double Canada by time you factor in benefits, taxes, buying power of the USD, and the pay rates at the US carriers. First year Captain at a ULCC will out earn, or come very close to the most senior airline pilots in Canada if you factor in the full circumstances. Taxes being the biggest buy a long shot. Unless you are dumb enough to want to live in California or New York of course. Or if you think it's smart to commute from Canada and give your USD to JT.
Wouldn't Canada still tax you as long as you are a citizen?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

fliter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:46 am
BE02 Driver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:43 am 5. The pay is way, way more than double Canada by time you factor in benefits, taxes, buying power of the USD, and the pay rates at the US carriers. First year Captain at a ULCC will out earn, or come very close to the most senior airline pilots in Canada if you factor in the full circumstances. Taxes being the biggest buy a long shot. Unless you are dumb enough to want to live in California or New York of course. Or if you think it's smart to commute from Canada and give your USD to JT.
Generally, taxes are determined by your location of residence, not by your citizenship.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

digits_ wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:49 am
Generally, taxes are determined by your location of residence, not by your citizenship.
The US and Eritrea are the only two countries that base your tax obligation on citizenship rather than residence. I'm a dual US / Canada living in Canada so have to file returns for both every year along with a financial disclosure to the US Treasury Dept. required of US nationals with bank accounts outside the US. Tons 'o fun.

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

digits_ wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:49 am Generally, taxes are determined by your location of residence, not by your citizenship.
I guess it comes down to what is considered residency.

Quick perusal of the Revenue Canada website suggests to me that if you still have ties to Canada (e.g., a house), you would be considered resident despite living abroad.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

You can cut ties to Canada and still own property and investments and be a non resident for tax purposes. You can't be in Canada more than I think 182 days a year.

I believe it's limited to one property, which you can keep as an investment or vacation property. CRA doesn't make your sell your investments but they are taxable if and when you do.

Edit; it's obviously more complicated than this, but it's possible. Talk to your tax lawyer.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:19 pm Why don’t some of you guys complain to your MP’s about TFW’s re low wages, instead of complaining here (about small businesses) who aren't ever the price setters, for fares or wages? Small businesses just follow. They don’t set the market. If they pay too much, can’t raise fares — those are set by Humpty and Dumpty.

You all know this is orchestrated by the government — temporary workers— and the big guys as policy to suppress inflation — right?

You’re getting screwed. Stop voting for those who are screwing you.

Vote. Write letters. Call your MP. March.
My area had a vote on implementing speed bumps, All but 2 said NO. The vote didn't have the result they wanted to the city put them in and ignored the vote. Literally nobody wanted that and it still went ahead. Who do you vote for if everyone has the same goals.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Only if you choose to maintain resident status. They don't have citizen tax like the US. You can become a non resident. There is basic requirements which involve cutting financial and gov. ties with Canada.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

You could maintain your residency and be taxed on your income based on the Canadian structure, but you'll certainly take home much more if you become a US resident, especially in a State with lower State income taxes, ie Florida. The difference in take-home could be over $100k a year.
Also, you'll always be a Cdn citizen, but no longer a resident. When you cut ties you must relinquish your drivers license and provincial residency which removes you from your provincial health plan. You also stop paying into CPP, which lowers the amount you're entitled to later on if you become a Canadian resident again, but compared to the earnings increase it's like giving away five bucks to get a hundred. ;)

It didn't used to be this way, up until about roughly 2000ish, maybe a bit later, you didn't have to pay Canadian income tax on work done outside the border, only to the country you were employed in. Nice eh?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

DanWEC wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:24 pm It didn't used to be this way, up until about roughly 2000ish, maybe a bit later, you didn't have to pay Canadian income tax on work done outside the border, only to the country you were employed in. Nice eh?
There is some updated jurisprudence on this from CDN tax court.

I have acquaintances from AC that are using a pro rate formula for “earnings within Canada” that is grossly reduced due to location of work performed.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Trudeau even said, a Canadian is a Canadian! (at least in reference to the Toronto terrorists)

Keep the dirty side down.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

So, let's revive this sticky. Any of you lucky applicants get a call back yet, with an actual interview for Frontier?

I got turfed pretty fast by Brookfield without the ATP, all good. But anybody starting to see light through this particular application process? I'm wondering if this will potentially extend to the regionals (who supply ATP conversions).

Needswork2020
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Needswork2020 »

My process is on-going, but I may decline as I have another overseas offer on the table that keeps me in the left seat on the 320.
We'll see.

Re:Tax above. I've been overseas for 20 years, I've never paid a penny to Canada Rev Agency as a non-resident. You can keep a house and credit card, but you have to cut ties on most other things. You will not be entitled to Health Coverage or years in CPP.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

rudder wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:55 am There is some updated jurisprudence on this from CDN tax court.

I have acquaintances from AC that are using a pro rate formula for “earnings within Canada” that is grossly reduced due to location of work performed.
Good to know, thanks. Will have to look into that further.

As an aside, just want to let everyone know how much a probationary firefighter, maybe 20 years old, makes in a small town in Ontario....
Screenshot_20220823-042219_Edge.jpg
Screenshot_20220823-042219_Edge.jpg (137.67 KiB) Viewed 3965 times

htking1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by htking1 »

In the case of a major migration, Canadian airlines will simply begin financing pilots from developing nations.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

htking1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:16 am In the case of a major migration, Canadian airlines will simply begin financing pilots from developing nations.
100%

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

htking1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:16 am In the case of a major migration, Canadian airlines will simply begin financing pilots from developing nations.
At a fraction of the already dismal rates were being paid as domestics

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Any updates?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:09 pm
Generally the TFW's make more than we do. They wouldn't bother doing it if if they had to take what we get paid.
The seasonal company's benefit however by not having to keep extra full-time staff w/benefits on all year and have a surplus during the shoulder seasons.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

DanWEC wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:42 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:09 pm
Generally the TFW's make more than we do. They wouldn't bother doing it if if they had to take what we get paid.
The seasonal company's benefit however by not having to keep extra full-time staff w/benefits on all year and have a surplus during the shoulder seasons.
Thats not correct in my area of the industry. Guys come here for experience and work for next to nothing and sometimes for free.

Return to “General Comments”