Recruiting and Retention Bonus

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Recruiting and Retention Bonus

Post by tbaylx »

In recognition of Flair pilots' contributions and efforts through a challenging summer, today we announced a $50 000 (Capt) and $30 000 (FO) retention bonus payable to all current pilots after 36 months.

This is also applicable to all pilots hired before December 31st 2022.
---------- ADS -----------

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Recruiting and Retention Bonus

Post by Dronepiper »

When do the new pay rates and ALPA CA get announced?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:30 pm When do the new pay rates and ALPA CA get announced?
Whenever it gets finalized. Best guess would be mid fall but things have a way of taking longer than one would hope with contracts.

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Any sneak peaks? Also, what’s this about a pilot base opening in Arizona?!

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Screw retention bonuses. 10k a year bonus so what? So that they don't leave for a job south of the border that pays 3x the salary?

If they want to recognize the hard work for this summer, pay the pilots now for the work this summer. A bonus with these conditions is just a scam to try and keep people around. It's not worth it.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:14 pm Any sneak peaks? Also, what’s this about a pilot base opening in Arizona?!
Nope. Can’t do sneak peaks unfortunately.

We are opening a Tuscon hub this winter. We can’t base pilots in the US but will be sending crew down on a multi day pairing where they will operate flights from TUS to various locations in Canada and back to TUS to overnight

Last edited by tbaylx on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

:mrgreen:
WellThatAgedWell wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:41 pm Screw retention bonuses. 10k a year bonus so what? So that they don't leave for a job south of the border that pays 3x the salary?

If they want to recognize the hard work for this summer, pay the pilots now for the work this summer. A bonus with these conditions is just a scam to try and keep people around. It's not worth it.
Feel free to send in an email stating you’d like to decline the bonus and I’m sure they can accommodate. :mrgreen:

TC.Enforcement
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TC.Enforcement »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:41 pm A bonus with these conditions is just a scam to try and keep people around.
Are you not familiar with what retention means? And bonus?

Gets free money, complains anyway

What a bellend.

Jumbo744
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jumbo744 »

TC.Enforcement wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 am
WellThatAgedWell wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:41 pm A bonus with these conditions is just a scam to try and keep people around.
Are you not familiar with what retention means? And bonus?

Gets free money, complains anyway

What a bellend.
😂 i know right? Some people can never be happy no matter what.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:41 pm Screw retention bonuses. 10k a year bonus so what? So that they don't leave for a job south of the border that pays 3x the salary?

Ok wait a minute, let me get something straight. The salaries are increasing fairly significantly AND they are offering a bonus on top to keep you around and you're STILL complaining? How is this even a scam?

I've flown with guys like you. Never happy about anything no matter where you are. Am I right?

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

flying4dollars wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:59 am

Ok wait a minute, let me get something straight. The salaries are increasing fairly significantly AND they are offering a bonus on top to keep you around and you're STILL complaining? How is this even a scam?

I've flown with guys like you. Never happy about anything no matter where you are. Am I right?
You are very right! Wait until he finds out what a "bell-end" means! :lol:

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

And I have flown with people like you!! You are absolutely blind to the other country to the south of us. Flying the exact same airplanes, on the exact same routes, making 3x what we do in Canada.

Yes, some people can never be pleased, but come on man!! If you think it’s fair we get paid 3x less for the exact same job in Canada you need to give your head a shake. If you think we should be lucky making 60k a year while living in some of the most expensive cities in the world, you need to give your head a shake. Open your $&@€ing eyes!! We absolutely have the right to complain about that stuff. Operators take advantage of Canadian Pilots every day

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Dronepiper wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:33 pm

And I have flown with people like you!! You are absolutely blind to the other country to the south of us. Flying the exact same airplanes, on the exact same routes, making 3x what we do in Canada.

Yes, some people can never be pleased, but come on man!! If you think it’s fair we get paid 3x less for the exact same job in Canada you need to give your head a shake. If you think we should be lucky making 60k a year while living in some of the most expensive cities in the world, you need to give your head a shake. Open your $&@€ing eyes!! We absolutely have the right to complain about that stuff. Operators take advantage of Canadian Pilots every day

Huh?? I'm perfectly aware of what the rest of the world pays pilots flying the same type of aircraft. I never said anywhere what is or isn't fair. But let's try and stay focused and stop chasing butterlfies ok? Flair is upping the wages. On top, they are offering retention bonuses, so they are IMPROVING conditions. Yes you absolutely have the right to complain about the compensation in Canada. But when an operator works to improve it, you should be happy, not whine about it :rolleyes:

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

What is the FO salary increasing to?

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

This retention bonus basically covers inflation, but you only get it if you stay. Of course this was all pointed out to me, and yes something is better than nothing. Anyways this is just a corrot being dangled. If flair wanted to give something for the hard work this summer why not give it to them now. What happens next summer when they are busy again, will there be another bonus or will they say remember last year we said we will give you 30k in 3 years! Better keep working! Meanwhile you will see your colleagues who left for America making double.

People could use the money now.

Leave for America and you could take a year off work while you transition over there and you will come out ahead of anyone who stays. Don't get hung up on the retention bonus as it was a shit offer, never take the first offer💪. Counter with a bigger raise.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:18 am This retention bonus basically covers inflation, but you only get it if you stay. Of course this was all pointed out to me, and yes something is better than nothing. Anyways this is just a corrot being dangled. If flair wanted to give something for the hard work this summer why not give it to them now. What happens next summer when they are busy again, will there be another bonus or will they say remember last year we said we will give you 30k in 3 years! Better keep working! Meanwhile you will see your colleagues who left for America making double.

Leave for America and you could take a year off work while you transition over there and you will come out ahead of anyone who stays. Don't get hung up on the retention bonus as it was a shit offer, never take the first offer💪. Counter with a bigger raise.
Pretty sure if people wanted to move to the US, they would. Not anyone can just up and move across the country, let alone to a new one.

Soyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Soyer »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:18 am This retention bonus basically covers inflation, but you only get it if you stay. Of course this was all pointed out to me, and yes something is better than nothing. Anyways this is just a corrot being dangled. If flair wanted to give something for the hard work this summer why not give it to them now. What happens next summer when they are busy again, will there be another bonus or will they say remember last year we said we will give you 30k in 3 years! Better keep working! Meanwhile you will see your colleagues who left for America making double.

First and last response to this poster:

Do you even work for Flair? Where does teh email indicate that this is for hard work 'this summer'? It is, as it says it is - as retention bonus. Stay the time and get paid. Pretty simple to me.

Looking at your posting history it is clear you are an arrogant, angry individual with something (don't know what) to prove. Clearly a newbie in the industry as well with a sense of entitlement.

Leave the rest of us professionals alone to get on with our business.

Joeschumer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joeschumer »

I’m sorry but like most things in Canadian aviation, this retention bonus is a joke. Even with the bonuses counted yearly on top of flair salaries, this is still one of the lowest paying 737 jobs in Canada. Not to mention, you won’t see that money for 3 years only to then pay massive taxes on it. Bonuses that are awarded upon reaching several gates or milestones would be a much more attractive proposition than this 3 year promise costing the company nada for 3 whole years! Think about that!

As for the pay-scale hope, flair management has been promising that for over a year now with no action, if they really wanted to show their pilots they mean business there would have been an LOU signed a long time ago. Instead they are riding the promise wave for as long as possible, if it will even come to pass. (Of course if that happens most other carriers will also raise theirs and these bonuses will still be a joke.)

The company isn’t stupid, promises cost them nothing, and pilots accepting promises and having hope are a managements best friend.

Sadly, a lot of the comments in this thread reinforce how and why canadian aviation and it’s pilots got to their current state. We always go after promises while have near infinite hope that things will change, and that has got to be the fatal flaw of being a Canadian pilot.

I’m sure everybody realizes that we are in a hard pilot shortage at the moment, there are very few industries that have the power that we do. All it takes is unity within the pilot group for change to happen, and quickly, that’s all it takes! As somebody above mentioned never accept the first offer, ESPECIALLY if the ball is in your court. (It definitely is)

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Joeschumer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:20 pm I’m sorry but like most things in Canadian aviation, this retention bonus is a joke. Even with the bonuses counted yearly on top of flair salaries, this is still one of the lowest paying 737 jobs in Canada. Not to mention, you won’t see that money for 3 years only to then pay massive taxes on it. Bonuses that are awarded upon reaching several gates or milestones would be a much more attractive proposition than this 3 year promise costing the company nada for 3 whole years! Think about that!
If you're looking at top scale, sure.

If you're looking at the first three years at the company in the right seat, Flair's 2020 pay is still greater than WestJet and Air Canada's 2022 pay.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Joeschumer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:20 pm I’m sorry but like most things in Canadian aviation, this retention bonus is a joke. Even with the bonuses counted yearly on top of flair salaries, this is still one of the lowest paying 737 jobs in Canada. Not to mention, you won’t see that money for 3 years only to then pay massive taxes on it. Bonuses that are awarded upon reaching several gates or milestones would be a much more attractive proposition than this 3 year promise costing the company nada for 3 whole years! Think about that!

As for the pay-scale hope, flair management has been promising that for over a year now with no action, if they really wanted to show their pilots they mean business there would have been an LOU signed a long time ago. Instead they are riding the promise wave for as long as possible, if it will even come to pass. (Of course if that happens most other carriers will also raise theirs and these bonuses will still be a joke.)

The company isn’t stupid, promises cost them nothing, and pilots accepting promises and having hope are a managements best friend.

Sadly, a lot of the comments in this thread reinforce how and why canadian aviation and it’s pilots got to their current state. We always go after promises while have near infinite hope that things will change, and that has got to be the fatal flaw of being a Canadian pilot.

I’m sure everybody realizes that we are in a hard pilot shortage at the moment, there are very few industries that have the power that we do. All it takes is unity within the pilot group for change to happen, and quickly, that’s all it takes! As somebody above mentioned never accept the first offer, ESPECIALLY if the ball is in your court. (It definitely is)
What are you on about? If someone doesn't want to stay here for 3 years, they won't force it for the bonus. But those that do decide they want to stay will get a bonus, taxed or not. Pilots always want more money and I agree in Canada, we should get it. But when a company adds to its compensation package it's a joke? You guys are funny.

Return to “Flair Airlines”