If instructing paid ……

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: If instructing paid ……

Post by photofly »

What minimum skill demonstration would you say is reasonable, on returning to instructing after a many years-long break?

Would it be ok for your first instructional flight in 15 years to be with a real student? Does the student not deserve some basic demonstration of recency before being taught?
Does the written test or ride require a recommend? What’s a Class I’s time worth these days? How about renting a light single from a school for a few hours to do the ride plus whatever frivolous ‘checkout’ they want?
OK, let's look at these in order:

Does the written test or ride require a recommend?: Assuming you're more than 24 months out of recency, then both the written test and ride require a recommend.

What’s a Class I’s time worth these days? You'd have to ask around. If you want flight instructors to be well paid, then you had better be prepared to pay well when you need one. You can't be cheap at both ends.

How about renting a light single from a school for a few hours to do the ride plus whatever frivolous ‘checkout’ they want?
How about it? The cost isn't the government's problem. There's no rule that says you *have* to rent a plane (perhaps you own one), or that you *have* to checkout. After all, if after 15 years away from a 172 you're ready to step back into the right seat to teach a noob, then I'm pretty sure the checkout will be quite short.

Better yet, if we're playing "how about", then how about you run your own flight school and provide a plane for others to check out in for free?
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: If instructing paid ……

Post by Squaretail »

photofly wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:58 pm

What’s a Class I’s time worth these days?
One MILLION Dollars.

Wait, I forgot about inflation. One BILLION Dollars!
---------- ADS -----------

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.

Return to “Employment Forum”