Retroactive Pay from June 2021. Contract expired.

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

YVRorbust
Rank 0
Rank 0

Retroactive Pay from June 2021. Contract expired.

Post by YVRorbust »

Since the contract expired in Jun 2021, will there be retroactive pay from that date once the new contract is signed?

If not, it could put management in a good position to stall the signing of a new contract.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Retroactive Pay from June 2021. Contract expired.

Post by rudder »

YVRorbust wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:55 am Since the contract expired in Jun 2021, will there be retroactive pay from that date once the new contract is signed?

If not, it could put management in a good position to stall the signing of a new contract.
There is no statutory entitlement to retro pay. It will be a matter settled at the bargaining table.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Everyone that I know on the line is expecting a significant retro pay.
Regardless of who is stalling the contract and why, demand for back pay is only growing. It would likely be a deal breaker for most people at this point.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Arnie Pye wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:54 am Everyone that I know on the line is expecting a significant retro pay.
Regardless of who is stalling the contract and why, demand for back pay is only growing. It would likely be a deal breaker for most people at this point.
Retro pay is always expected by line pilots, and yet rarely achieved in Canada. If in terms of a contract, if you cost the company 50+ mil over a short term in WAWCON and say no cause you didn’t get 10k retro which half goes to the government. Hate to say it, but your in for some disappointment.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Retro pay...always slightly out of reach and misunderstood. Wasn't it clearly explained somewhere on these forums that Flair pilots changed horses and left UNIFOR for ALPA? That's the legal "restart" for any retro pay that MIGHT be negotiated for. That's "on the pilots" I believe the statement said. If Arnie and his minions think that it's a deal breaker they're listening to the wrong frequency. I often wonder what his agenda is. Is he really a Flair pilot? He never really seems to have his own opinion, it's always someone else's that he claims to have heard on the line. New Collective Agreements take some time to negotiate and rightly so. It would be folly to rush one just to satisfy a few impatient pilots who are hoping for a windfall. Patience grasshopper, it will come in time and when it's right. :goodman:

SPR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SPR »

GRK2 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:26 am Retro pay...always slightly out of reach and misunderstood. Wasn't it clearly explained somewhere on these forums that Flair pilots changed horses and left UNIFOR for ALPA? That's the legal "restart" for any retro pay that MIGHT be negotiated for. That's "on the pilots" I believe the statement said.
Morningstar's arbitrator granted raises of about 20%, with retro pay, and that was after switching from UNIFOR to ALPA.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

SPR wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:03 pm
GRK2 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:26 am Retro pay...always slightly out of reach and misunderstood. Wasn't it clearly explained somewhere on these forums that Flair pilots changed horses and left UNIFOR for ALPA? That's the legal "restart" for any retro pay that MIGHT be negotiated for. That's "on the pilots" I believe the statement said.
Morningstar's arbitrator granted raises of about 20%, with retro pay, and that was after switching from UNIFOR to ALPA.
Well good for them! I note you said it was an arbitrated result. Can you add some details here so we can get a little more information on how they ended up in arbitration? Tough row to hoe sometimes as the results are binding and you might not like what the results are.

SPR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SPR »

What's to know? Management and the union couldn't come to an agreement through negotiation, so they went to arbitration.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

At Air Transat we always got retro when it applied.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

GRK2 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:35 am
Well good for them! I note you said it was an arbitrated result. Can you add some details here so we can get a little more information on how they ended up in arbitration? Tough row to hoe sometimes as the results are binding and you might not like what the results are.
I don't understand the fear of contract arbitration. Arbitrators generally don't want to "rock the boat" too much. They'll enforce reasonable contract gains and usually a shorter contract. Look at WestJet last round. They got a bit of money into their contract (close to a million over a career) and a 4 year contract. Sure not the big winfall everyone was hoping for but step by step, and now they're entering into negotiations again. A few more steps will be taken, even under the guidance of an arbitrator.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

GRK2 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:26 am Retro pay...always slightly out of reach and misunderstood. Wasn't it clearly explained somewhere on these forums that Flair pilots changed horses and left UNIFOR for ALPA? That's the legal "restart" for any retro pay that MIGHT be negotiated for. That's "on the pilots" I believe the statement said. If Arnie and his minions think that it's a deal breaker they're listening to the wrong frequency. I often wonder what his agenda is. Is he really a Flair pilot? He never really seems to have his own opinion, it's always someone else's that he claims to have heard on the line. New Collective Agreements take some time to negotiate and rightly so. It would be folly to rush one just to satisfy a few impatient pilots who are hoping for a windfall. Patience grasshopper, it will come in time and when it's right. :goodman:
No minions here. Just a bunch of lackies, vassals and stooges. I still have a moleskin planner though. I guess that counts as an agenda.

Seems to me that ALPA came in right around the time the contract expired. Within a couple of months IIRC.

My opinion? I'll be as patient as you want me to be as long as back pay is guaranteed. 40% raise and 100% match on first 10% of RRSP contributions. Schedule released on time every time; no exceptions.

I would be curious to see what the results of the survey were. I think the union should release them. That's the only way to know how many people have a line in the sand when it comes to back pay.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Well...always aim high I've been told.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

GRK2 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:08 pm Well...always aim high I've been told.
Even with those numbers, it is lower than Air Canada, WestJet and Air Transat.

We would be the third largest airline with the 4th place compensation package (maybe lower if you consider Canadian North/First Air??).

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Arnie Pye wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:30 pm

We would be the third largest airline with the 4th place compensation package (maybe lower if you consider Canadian North/First Air??).
Maybe if you just compare year to year numbers, but remember career advancement is far from equal across your list.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

co-joe wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:39 pm
Arnie Pye wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:30 pm

Maybe if you just compare year to year numbers, but remember career advancement is far from equal across your list.
I suppose a DEC could advance into management. This option is probably only desirable or available for 1% of the pilot group. Once you're in your seat, you're stuck with one of the lowest compensation packages in North America for a 737 driver.

A few days after I was jumped on for wanting back pay, the union sent out a communication stating that this is what they are pushing for as well. Seems like I might not be the only one interested in it after all.

Anyway, off to work I go. If you aren't aiming high, you're on the ground with the other turkeys.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Things were looking rosy going into negotiations in early 2020, but that quickly changed when covid shut the industry down. As soon as that happened, the company's attitude completely changed and started dragging out the process. After all, they weren't losing pilots anymore and now had a stack of resumes larger than they've ever seen before. The wind had completely shifted in the company's favour and not only they they know it, they knew it would be a while before things got better for the pilots. So they just crossed their arms and dug their heels. This lead to the process going into arbitration after negotiations stalled.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Flair's management is also trying to drag out the process in the hope that things also turn in their favour. Like say, that really bad recession economists are calling for in 2023. Time is on their side, booking an arbitrator now will probably not get you a date for at least around 12 months. Plenty of time for something to happen.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:07 am

Things were looking rosy going into negotiations in early 2020, but that quickly changed when covid shut the industry down. As soon as that happened, the company's attitude completely changed and started dragging out the process. After all, they weren't losing pilots anymore and now had a stack of resumes larger than they've ever seen before. The wind had completely shifted in the company's favour and not only they they know it, they knew it would be a while before things got better for the pilots. So they just crossed their arms and dug their heels. This lead to the process going into arbitration after negotiations stalled.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Flair's management is also trying to drag out the process in the hope that things also turn in their favour. Like say, that really bad recession economists are calling for in 2023. Time is on their side, booking an arbitrator now will probably not get you a date for at least around 12 months. Plenty of time for something to happen.
I can assure you that the company has zero interest in dragging out any negotiations. Unfortunately, negotiations also take longer than anyone would like to get right, especially for a first contract under ALPA. It's not in anyone's interest to have confusing sections or missing items like the current CBA.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

tbaylx wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:03 pm
GRK2 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:35 am Well good for them! I note you said it was an arbitrated result. Can you add some details here so we can get a little more information on how they ended up in arbitration? Tough row to hoe sometimes as the results are binding and you might not like what the results are.

I can assure you that the company has zero interest in dragging out any negotiations. Unfortunately, negotiations also take longer than anyone would like to get right, especially for a first contract under ALPA. It's not in anyone's interest to have confusing sections or missing items like the current CBA.

There is nothing special about a "first contract with ALPA". They're professionals who have whole teams and departments dedicated to negotiations, nothing new just because it's a new company. Forgive me if I'm skeptical when Flair management pipes into a thread to specifically claim they're not deliberately dragging out the process. After all, you certainly wouldn't say otherwise, now would you?

It is very much in the company's interest to have confusing sections and missing items in the CBA, and I'm sure they're fighting hard to keep as much of that in there as possible.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:35 pm
tbaylx wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:03 pm

There is nothing special about a "first contract with ALPA". They're professionals who have whole teams and departments dedicated to negotiations, nothing new just because it's a new company. Forgive me if I'm skeptical when Flair management pipes into a thread to specifically claim they're not deliberately dragging out the process. After all, you certainly wouldn't say otherwise, now would you?

It is very much in the company's interest to have confusing sections and missing items in the CBA, and I'm sure they're fighting hard to keep as much of that in there as possible.
So true, there's nothing management and the ALPA reps like better than spending hours sorting out emails regarding confusing sections that everyone interprets differently. If you honestly believe that then you aren't working for the same company that I am.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

tbaylx wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:23 pm
Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:35 pm
tbaylx wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:03 pm I can assure you that the company has zero interest in dragging out any negotiations. Unfortunately, negotiations also take longer than anyone would like to get right, especially for a first contract under ALPA. It's not in anyone's interest to have confusing sections or missing items like the current CBA.

So true, there's nothing management and the ALPA reps like better than spending hours sorting out emails regarding confusing sections that everyone interprets differently. If you honestly believe that then you aren't working for the same company that I am.
We certainly aren't working for the same company, and I'm very thankful for that. My point is that companies tend to enjoy grey areas in the contract because it lets them interpret things in a way that suits them. I've seen it at every company I've worked for, unionized or not, so I doubt Flair is some magical exception. While the membership can disagree and grievances can be filed, it can be a lengthy process and the company essentially gets to interpret the point in question to their advantage in the mean time.

I saw first hand how hard a company will fight to keep certain things open ended and try to limit the ways the union wanted to tighten up language.

Return to “Flair Airlines”