Inquiry

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

limpopo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Inquiry

Post by limpopo »

Thanks guys
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by limpopo on Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Inquiry

Post by -42 »

I was offered 30 an hour there…….10 years ago. I declined. Enjoy Malaria.

747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

limpopo wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:38 am 1.What is it like, to work at Voyageur ?
No idea on that one.
limpopo wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:38 am 2. Is this a good offer for a start ?
I don't personally know anyone working ACA for less than $40/hour. Maybe it's different in that neck of the woods, but $30/hour to sign out airplanes in 2022 sounds like not nearly enough.
limpopo wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:38 am 3. How much is per diem pay for AME when working overseas ?
Not sure about overseas but around here I have several friends in various industries that do out of town work and most per diems seem to be between $80 and $120/day, typically with company providing transportation and accommodation and then the per diem for the rest.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

[quoteNot sure about overseas but around here I have several friends in various industries that do out of town work and most per diems seem to be between $80 and $120/day, typically with company providing transportation and accommodation and then the per diem for the rest][/quote]

As a direct representation as to how fucked up aviation is canada, a $100 a day perdium is given with the AME expected to cover their accomodation and transportation. Im speaking about contracting.

Its a complete bloody joke but I know there are twats taking it.

As for Voyageur, that place has been in a perpetual state of hunting for AME's almost the entire 25 years I've been doing this and it appears they haven't changed their wages much. Its like a Avmax of the east.

747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

chowda wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:40 pma $100 a day perdium is given with the AME expected to cover their accomodation and transportation. Im speaking about contracting.

Seriously? I'd love to know where they're finding a hotel, supper and a ride for $100. Where I work the hotel and transport is arranged by the company and then the per diem is given for the rest like meals and such, for which I usually end up spending most of it. Probably could save a bunch of it but I'm not going to travel all that way then work a shift on top of it to reward myself with trying to figure out how to cook a pack of artificially flavoured noodle like product in a hotel coffee pot, sorry but no.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Im completely serious. They post ads regularly on here andI have spoken to them several times.

The thing is that they actually have people taking these shit ramen eating offers. Im not sure if its newbs with green licenses or new canadians living 3 to a room. From experience, its probably both, but they apparently need an experienced goat herder to supervise.

Thats where the plan is runs into difficulty. :lol:

It used to be not that long ago that contracting was a matter of going to an airport and flying away. Everything was covered.

Im actually very confused as to WTF an agency does to earn their cut these days as I see they are doing pretty much nothing for contractors, especially paying them correctly.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

747-875 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:27 pm
chowda wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:40 pma $100 a day perdium is given with the AME expected to cover their accomodation and transportation. Im speaking about contracting.

Seriously? I'd love to know where they're finding a hotel, supper and a ride for $100. Where I work the hotel and transport is arranged by the company and then the per diem is given for the rest like meals and such, for which I usually end up spending most of it. Probably could save a bunch of it but I'm not going to travel all that way then work a shift on top of it to reward myself with trying to figure out how to cook a pack of artificially flavoured noodle like product in a hotel coffee pot, sorry but no.
I remember years ago an imported contractor trying to convince me that I was crazy to buy a 2 pack of hard boiled eggs for 99 cents. He said it was cheaper to buy a carton and, you guessed it, boil them in the coffeemaker.

The guy was a totally shit mechanic to begin with but I've seen repeated frugality like this amongst ame's. It really is a sickness.

Return to “Maintenance”