No vote full of regret

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: No vote full of regret

Post by JBI »

I have no skin in this game, but I do seem to recall that back in 2005 Air Canada ordered 787s contingent upon the pilots agreeing to some reduced pay rates or concessions. ACPA didn't agree and AC made a big announcement about how they had to cancel the 787 order.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... /ex991.htm

I'm not sure the exact steps that happened afterwards, but I've since been a pax on AC 787s numerous times....
---------- ADS -----------

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

JBI wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:27 pm I have no skin in this game, but I do seem to recall that back in 2005 Air Canada ordered 787s contingent upon the pilots agreeing to some reduced pay rates or concessions. ACPA didn't agree and AC made a big announcement about how they had to cancel the 787 order.

I'm not sure the exact steps that happened afterwards, but I've since been a pax on AC 787s numerous times....
That vote in 2005 was for 777 Freighters and we are only just getting them in 2025, 20 years later…

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:35 am
JBI wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:27 pm I have no skin in this game, but I do seem to recall that back in 2005 Air Canada ordered 787s contingent upon the pilots agreeing to some reduced pay rates or concessions. ACPA didn't agree and AC made a big announcement about how they had to cancel the 787 order.

That vote in 2005 was for 777 Freighters and we are only just getting them in 2025, 20 years later…
From what I understand and reading the archive, they were going to cancel all triple 7s because of the rejection of the offer. Lo and behold the triples came over the next 2 years anyway.
The agreement with Boeing included firm orders for 18 Boeing 777s, plus purchase rights for 18 more, in a mix of the 777 family's newest models: the 777-300ER, the 777-200LR Worldliner , and the newly announced 777 Freighter. Air Canada's 777 deliveries were scheduled to begin next year with the arrival of three 777-300ERs in 2006. The renewal plan also included firm orders for 14 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, scheduled for delivery in 2010.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Pilots fly airplanes. They don’t make business decisions.

Vote accordingly.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

The vote in '05' had heavy underpinnings of the Merger, ACPA was trying to stick it to the ex-Canadi>n Pilots.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

BTD is correct. The vote was on the rate for ALL 777s and Milton cancelled the order when he was rejected. He didn't really though, 777s arrived on the originally planned delivery schedule.

The 2 freighters - that's where the "There's no money in Cargo" Milton quote comes from. But really it was the increased capacity and tonnage in the 777 bellies that refilled in the cancellation. This was such a large increase to AC's capacity, the calculation regarding freighter necessity changed. We got all the 777s though as the freighters were converted to passenger orders. To be clear, we got all the 777s from the original order.

The executives will execute their business plan and chisel away at us along the way if we let them. If we stand tall, they will still go ahead with their plans, pennies and nickels from pilots don't change a thing. Stop conditioning them to come to us by voting no. No more concessions. We've given enough.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Management will make all kinds of threats during negotiations. It’s a psy-op. At Jazz we were threatened with all kinds of stuff when negotiations were on. The fact is they aren’t going to cancel aircraft orders over giving the pilots a raise.

Think of it like the Covid. Look how many threats the Trudeau regime made to dupe us into getting vaccines we mostly didn’t want or need. The propaganda machine was in full swing over the past 3 years.

You guys and gals vote for what you think is right. I do hope you get some serious gains. Now is the best time to leverage it. Good luck. :prayer:

Let’s Go Brandon
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

By voting no and showing that Canadian pilots still have some stones, it will have a positive domino effect on the WJ next round of negos which then will have a positive effect on the AC negos, etc etc. Look at what is happening down south in the last year. For the first time in like 15+ years, the pilots group finally have some leverage.

It might even trickle down to Jazz where they will have to raise their wages in order to keep their experienced skippers and attract qualified candidates.

Best of luck for you folks.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

daedalusx wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:50 am
It might even trickle down to Jazz where they will have to raise their wages in order to keep their experienced skippers and attract qualified candidates.

In 17 years 🤣

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

JHR wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:22 pm

In 17 years 🤣
One could argue that they had their chance 3 years ago when they had the leverage and they squandered all of it for a fake flow. At the end of the day, it was all too predictable and tiresome.

In any case, a shortage of skippers at Jazz will force management to find a way to make it attractive to stay or to join as a DEC.

As it is right now, there’s absolutely no reasons why a qualified candidate would apply for JZA DEC when they can go to Flair, WJ, CJ, Porter and AC OTS will probably ramp up as well regardless of this vote.

I obviously wish them the best of luck as well... 17 years contract... shrug

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

That’s BS. It was for 777s not 777 freighters. And they ended up getting them anyway even if a NO vote….good try though 🙂

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Sounds like toxic parenting.

'I need you to stay home and give me your allowance, while daddy management goes out and gambles at the track.'

Even if you don't give him the allowance, he's already commited to hitting the track with the other degenerates.

Stand firm. You got this.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

WF9F wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:23 pm

That’s BS. It was for 777s not 777 freighters. And they ended up getting them anyway even if a NO vote….good try though 🙂
Total BS sharklaser

The original 777 order had two freighters in it. They were converted to passenger because AC didn’t see a business opportunity with them. That position remained the same, no business opportunity, until Covid hit and put the supply chain on its ear.

The 777 order, supposedly canceled, showed up anyway. Yes without two freighters that are currently operating passengers.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

daedalusx wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:52 pm

In 17 years 🤣
One could argue that they had their chance 3 years ago when they had the leverage and they squandered all of it for a fake flow. At the end of the day, it was all too predictable and tiresome.

In any case, a shortage of skippers at Jazz will force management to find a way to make it attractive to stay or to join as a DEC.

As it is right now, there’s absolutely no reasons why a qualified candidate would apply for JZA DEC when they can go to Flair, WJ, CJ, Porter and AC OTS will probably ramp up as well regardless of this vote.

Do not forget the history. ACPA gave Skyregional to AC. Sky was used as a gun to Jazz’s head for lower wages and a long term contract. As soon as AC got what it wanted? Sky is no more.

ACPA’s finger prints are all over that long term deal. Don’t think for a second the ACPA scope committee at the time didn’t know exactly what they were doing.

Don’t think for a second the current scope committee doesn’t understand what the changes within this MOA might do.

We have a tendency not to play well with others. The fact that we make decisions only for our own best interest means we have no issue selling things like scope for cash. Particularly when the consequences for us are next to zero.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:11 am Pilots fly airplanes. They don’t make business decisions.

Vote accordingly.
What he said.

Our concern is our contract only. Other people get paid very well to manage the airline. Let them earn their pay check.

Management has no problem fixing their problems on your back.

Your choice is yes I will let that happen or no I won’t.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Fanblade wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:47 am
daedalusx wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:52 pm

In 17 years 🤣

Do not forget the history. ACPA gave Skyregional to AC. Sky was used as a gun to Jazz’s head for lower wages and a long term contract. As soon as AC got what it wanted? Sky is no more.

ACPA’s finger prints are all over that long term deal. Don’t think for a second the ACPA scope committee at the time didn’t know exactly what they were doing.

Don’t think for a second the current scope committee doesn’t understand what the changes within this MOA might do.

We have a tendency not to play well with others. The fact that we make decisions only for our own best interest means we have no issue selling things like scope for cash. Particularly when the consequences for us are next to zero.
Also don’t forget the Georgian experiment. YYZ lost all jet flying for a couple of years because Skyregional wasn’t enough punishment for Jazz. Look how that ended!

Let’s Go Brandon
Chips&Pops
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chips&Pops »

Too bad you did not vote yes, the results were so tight you would have made a tremendous difference

Just giver bud

Return to “Air Canada”