Negotiations

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Negotiations

Post by genetic jack hammer »

That's a pretty standard procedure when leaving on good terms, at any company. If someone was fired, they'd be gone yesterday, with no e-mails.
---------- ADS -----------

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

My guess retirement. I think he came up through Austin Airways/Air Ontario.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

jazzsucks wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:44 am In the email it said he would be around for the next few weeks to help with the transition. It sounds relatively amicable
I like your username. Lol 😂

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

NovaBoy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:30 am My guess retirement. I think he came up through Austin Airways/Air Ontario.
He did come from Air Ontario.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Chairman's Update - May 2023

Fellow Pilots,

I am writing to update you on the status of negotiations. On May 10 we met with Jazz management and received a response to our last wage proposal in March.

It is with disappointment that I must advise you that their counterproposal is nowhere near the threshold of what members have indicated they reasonably expect. In fact, it is so low we cannot respond as doing so would effectively be negotiating with ourselves.

We remain ready to meet with the Company if they are willing to engage in meaningful negotiation. As with any negotiation things can change for the positive but as of today the future looks uncertain.

In solidarity,

Claude

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

“future looks uncertain.”

Is he saying the pay will stay shit or the place is going under?

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:15 pm “future looks uncertain.”

That is a ridiculous unqualified statement to put in any MEC bulletin.

So in the span of 2 days the VP FLT OPS quits and the MEC CHMN throws kerosene on the fire.

Great times at Jazz.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:40 pm

So in the span of 2 days the VP FLT OPS quits and the MEC CHMN throws kerosene on the fire.

Great times at Jazz.
Maybe the situation needs kerosene thrown on it. If they were grounded in any sort of objective reality, this would have been dealt with 6 months ago. Instead they want to keep believing there isn't a problem.

Canucklhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Canucklhead »

Great times at Jazz.
The VP retired - plain and simple. Wanted to spend more time with family and travel. He has received some pretty good bonuses and stock options over the years so I am sure he can afford it.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Canucklhead wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:03 pm
The VP retired - plain and simple. Wanted to spend more time with family and travel. He has received some pretty good bonuses and stock options over the years so I am sure he can afford it.
Funny how there's always money for that, but when the pilots come to the table, the heat's off, carpet threadbare, and they're burning the furniture to keep warm...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

When the union indicates it has lost hope of any improvements it’s time to leave. Let the mass exodus begin :arrow:

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Canucklhead wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:03 pm

Great times at Jazz.
Usually when it’s a retirement they would say that in the email. Usually a “all the best in retirement” or something like that. There was nothing in the email like that

Mrs. Andry
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mrs. Andry »

Malfunction wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:45 pm Chairman's Update - May 2023

Fellow Pilots,

I am writing to update you on the status of negotiations. On May 10 we met with Jazz management and received a response to our last wage proposal in March.

It is with disappointment that I must advise you that their counterproposal is nowhere near the threshold of what members have indicated they reasonably expect. In fact, it is so low we cannot respond as doing so would effectively be negotiating with ourselves.

We remain ready to meet with the Company if they are willing to engage in meaningful negotiation. As with any negotiation things can change for the positive but as of today the future looks uncertain.

In solidarity,

Claude
Oh well, I guess they're stuck with the 17 year deal that his MEC negotiated and recommended!

futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

In the recent First Quarter Employee townhall, Mr Rousseau said two things that caught my ear:

“Problems with jazz that will be resolved soon” and
“I won't go into details about Jazz“

All indications seem to suggest AC Senior Management is either playing a good game of poker or truly not worried about the pilot market and think this will just blow over.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

futboler14 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:45 pm In the recent First Quarter Employee townhall, Mr Rousseau said two things that caught my ear:

“Problems with jazz that will be resolved soon” and
“I won't go into details about Jazz“

All indications seem to suggest AC Senior Management is either playing a good game of poker or truly not worried about the pilot market and think this will just blow over.
I don't think they are playing poker, but rather deeply delusional about the extend of the problem. People will go to great lengths to convince themselves of a comfortable lie, rather than face the reality if a situation. The VP of flight ops at AC lives in an alternate reality, with 30+ Years of aviation experience working agaisnt him. Aviation hasn't seen anything like this since the 60s, and he has no idea how to respond but to beleive it will just fix itself, because well, that is what has always happened.

If Westjet managed to get some significant improvements, we are done. YYC will clear out, and YUL will go to Porter. Even AC may find hiring becomes problematic.

The first to pay right will end up scooping up all the pilots, leaving everyone else scrambling to catch up... AC will find themselves way behind if they don't get with the times.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Everyone keeps talking about how the contract that we have until 2035 has neutered us. Ok so let’s say it expired in 2023 and we were currently in bargaining. We could threaten to walk if our salary demands weren’t met just like WestJet just did. But unlike 2011, we are a much smaller operation and there are many carriers that could cover our routes and carry our passengers if we walked. Not to mention our own mainline carrier which is basically doing this now- by upguaging the routes with A220 and reducing frequency, and the traveling public doesn’t even notice the difference- heck they even prefer the new larger aircraft.
The traveling public doesn’t even know who the hell “Jazz” is so I doubt we’d get the sort of media/public attention that WestJet did in their campaign.
In summary, this long term contract isn’t the albatross many are making it out to be. Jazz is easily and rather quickly replaceable, and AC probably regrets the fact that they are forced to keep us until 2035

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

hithere wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:13 am Everyone keeps talking about how the contract that we have until 2035 has neutered us. Ok so let’s say it expired in 2023 and we were currently in bargaining. We could threaten to walk if our salary demands weren’t met just like WestJet just did. But unlike 2011, we are a much smaller operation and there are many carriers that could cover our routes and carry our passengers if we walked. Not to mention our own mainline carrier which is basically doing this now- by upguaging the routes with A220 and reducing frequency, and the traveling public doesn’t even notice the difference- heck they even prefer the new larger aircraft.
The traveling public doesn’t even know who the hell “Jazz” is so I doubt we’d get the sort of media/public attention that WestJet did in their campaign.
In summary, this long term contract isn’t the albatross many are making it out to be. Jazz is easily and rather quickly replaceable, and AC probably regrets the fact that they are forced to keep us until 2035
I could start to imagine Jazz as a 60-80 airplane operation. Perhaps not in 2023 or 2024, but somewhere out in the not too distant future. That would be 720-960 line pilot jobs. A core of 400-500 pilots that are Captain qualified. In house training resources (if possible). And majority of FO spots filled from initial training institutions. A 250 hour pilot does not have many options to leave until ATPL qualified (that would take a minimum of 2-3 years at Jazz).

No doubt that 2023 is a problem due to uncontrollable pilot attrition. But decision makers typically look further in to the future while doing strategic planning. AC ultimately will make the decision on its Express network needs and reflect them in its CHR CPA either current form or renegotiated.

A reinvigorated WJ pilot contract is not going to help the pilot attrition problem at Jazz. There are so many better opportunities in 2023 that provide both superior compensation and still lead to AC if that is the ultimate goal.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

If the new F/O wages at Westjet are even close to true, I suspect our YYC base will be left in shambles. Might even see some leave AC. Again, of true, it destorys ACs 4 year flat pay concept.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

truedude wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:59 am If the new F/O wages at Westjet are even close to true, I suspect our YYC base will be left in shambles. Might even see some leave AC. Again, of true, it destorys ACs 4 year flat pay concept.
People will still be filling AC classes, I don't expect flat pay to change much while that's still happening. The FO rates increasing at WJ is long overdue, but don't forget (even with a bit of moving around on the Swoop rebid) that FOs here still have 6 years of reserve and 15 year upgrades. AC is miles ahead for career progression. WJ will now be the best option for those who can't leave YYC though.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

AC will absolutely have to respond by getting rid of flat pay or drastically raising it. Alot of recent new hires were Encore/WJ mainline/Swoop pilots and now this recruiting pipeline will dry up.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”