Negotiations

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Duke86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Negotiations

Post by Duke86 »

Malfunction wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:08 am If they opened a yyc base... bye bye jazz
100%
---------- ADS -----------

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Malfunction wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:08 am If they opened a yyc base... bye bye jazz
Do you mean to say you would say bye bye to Jazz or Jazz going bye bye?
I ask because YYC is the smallest most senior base, so I can’t see too many jumping ship for a start up operation.
Maybe some more junior who are waiting for a YYC base

Nick678
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nick678 »

Senior pilots in YYC could jump on a ERP and head over, company would be happy to see those DB pensions go. Most juniors are trying to go to AC and at this rate it would be faster to go to Porter and apply OTS than wait your turn at jazz.

How many jazz in the AC march 22 class anyone?

I doubt 60% and I also doubt 40….

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

This is starting to look like a conversation about how to keep the horse in the barn…….AFTER the horse left the barn.

Chairman's Message - March 2023 Update

Fellow Pilots,

In my February update I advised of a four-party discussion that took place between Air Canada, Jazz, ACPA and the JAZ MEC. Again, the purpose of that meeting was a shared concern by ACPA and the JAZ MEC regarding Air Canada’s ability to increase revenue and grow market share in our ever-evolving industry.

The problems which precipitated that meeting continue to escalate as Jazz is experiencing a high level of Pilot attrition. This is a very different situation from when we were bargaining last fall, when Pilot attrition did not yet play a major role in the Company’s motivations. This has prompted the Company to reach out and reconvene discussions with us directly – outside and in addition to the four-party initiative.

In March we held two meetings with Jazz senior executives. These discussions were conceptually focused on being able to generate more block hours for Air Canada. Pilot compensation is a major component of those discussions. We have further meetings planned next week.

Violations related to Pilot Movement to Air Canada continues to be a serious concern. We recently learned that Air Canada was reducing Jazz hiring from 40 Pilots per month to 20. As we know, the 60% requirement is annual, and a reduction of monthly hiring is not itself a violation. However, this decision amplifies harm as the 2022 deficit remains unresolved while additional OTS hiring continues - adding insult to injury. Additionally, if 2022 is any indication, we question that Air Canada will respect their obligations by the end of 2023.

Until now the MEC’s preference has been to achieve a negotiated resolution. This remains the case, however, with Air Canada’s recent decision to further reduce Jazz Pilot hiring, the MEC met last week and has decided to concurrently invoke our Collective Agreement grievance/arbitration process. There will be a further communication from the MEC on this topic shortly.

Finally, while we are reentering a two-party negotiation with our Company, and hope to make changes to our Collective Agreement, I still believe that a four-party initiative is required to address some of our mutual goals. In the end, it is in our best interest for Air Canada to be a strong and viable enterprise – something we remain fully committed to.

In solidarity,

Claude

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

rudder wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:21 pm This is starting to look like a conversation about how to keep the horse in the barn…….AFTER the horse left the barn.

Fellow Pilots,

In my February update I advised of a four-party discussion that took place between Air Canada, Jazz, ACPA and the JAZ MEC. Again, the purpose of that meeting was a shared concern by ACPA and the JAZ MEC regarding Air Canada’s ability to increase revenue and grow market share in our ever-evolving industry.

The problems which precipitated that meeting continue to escalate as Jazz is experiencing a high level of Pilot attrition. This is a very different situation from when we were bargaining last fall, when Pilot attrition did not yet play a major role in the Company’s motivations. This has prompted the Company to reach out and reconvene discussions with us directly – outside and in addition to the four-party initiative.

In March we held two meetings with Jazz senior executives. These discussions were conceptually focused on being able to generate more block hours for Air Canada. Pilot compensation is a major component of those discussions. We have further meetings planned next week.

Violations related to Pilot Movement to Air Canada continues to be a serious concern. We recently learned that Air Canada was reducing Jazz hiring from 40 Pilots per month to 20. As we know, the 60% requirement is annual, and a reduction of monthly hiring is not itself a violation. However, this decision amplifies harm as the 2022 deficit remains unresolved while additional OTS hiring continues - adding insult to injury. Additionally, if 2022 is any indication, we question that Air Canada will respect their obligations by the end of 2023.

Until now the MEC’s preference has been to achieve a negotiated resolution. This remains the case, however, with Air Canada’s recent decision to further reduce Jazz Pilot hiring, the MEC met last week and has decided to concurrently invoke our Collective Agreement grievance/arbitration process. There will be a further communication from the MEC on this topic shortly.

Finally, while we are reentering a two-party negotiation with our Company, and hope to make changes to our Collective Agreement, I still believe that a four-party initiative is required to address some of our mutual goals. In the end, it is in our best interest for Air Canada to be a strong and viable enterprise – something we remain fully committed to.

In solidarity,

Claude
LOL yep.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

rudder wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:21 pm This is starting to look like a conversation about how to keep the horse in the barn…….AFTER the horse left the barn.

Fellow Pilots,

In solidarity,

Claude
Could be beneficial for the horses that are still in the barn though, half full kind of guy, gimme more hay!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

cdnavater wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:41 pm

Fellow Pilots,

In solidarity,

Claude
Could be beneficial for the horses that are still in the barn though, half full kind of guy, gimme more hay!
Year 1-5 FO rates need to increase by a minimum of 40%.

Year 1-5 CA rates need to increase by a minimum of 20-25%.

All other pilot pay rates need to increase by a minimum of 15-20%.

And training pilot overrides need to increase by at least 33%.

I won’t hold my breath. That would still leave a top scale Jazz CA at around the same rate as a a Porter year 1 E2 CA. So why would an E jet pilot stay at Jazz? That is the market Jazz is competing in right now for pilot labour.

My guess is it will be about working more to get paid more. Double time for overtime, etc. That is not a raise. And that won’t stem Pilot attrition.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:33 pm

Fellow Pilots,

In solidarity,

Claude

I won’t hold my breath. That would still leave a top scale Jazz CA at around the same rate as a a Porter year 1 E2 CA. So why would an E jet pilot stay at Jazz? That is the market Jazz is competing in right now for pilot labour.

My guess is it will be about working more to get paid more. Double time for overtime, etc. That is not a raise. And that won’t stem Pilot attrition.

This is still way to low.

50% across the board and 3% a year min after that.

Add in 5 day min credit, so people can actually work overtime, which is paid at double time.

And then a fat increase for everyone from training pilots to LTC pilots.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Fellow Pilots,

In solidarity,

Claude
No hay, just carrots, on sticks and string.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Not even a carrot to dangle anymore. No flow being followed for the youngins’ and schedules/destinations/layovers are becoming shittier by the day.

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:31 pm

Add in 5 day min credit, so people can actually work overtime, which is paid at double time.

Items within Jazz control:

FO

1. 67
2. 77
3. 80
4. 83
5. 87
6. 90
7. 93
8. 97
9. 100
10. 103

CA

1. 110
2. 115
3. 120
4. 125
5. 130
6. 135
7. 140
8. 145
9. 150
10. 155
11. 160
12. 165

Training dept override 15%. LTC/LCP override $36/hr.

Straight time to 85. Time and a half 85-95. Double time over 95. All WDO double time.

Max 16 work days per bid month, including RSV. Exception for initial type course.

Min daily credit 5. No 2 day pairing less than 10. No 3 day less than 15. No 4 day less than 20.

Pilot pays STD premium only (to preserve tax free status). STD duration day 31-180. LTD day 181+. No LTD benefit payable beyond 6 years. Employer pays all other benefit premiums.

DC matching starts at 6%. Increases 1% every 2 years of service until employee contributions reaches 8%. Thereafter employer match increases 1% every year until a maximum of 10% is reached. Therefore 8/10 match reached at year 7.

Items outside Jazz control (requiring AC and/or ACPA concurrence):

CPA min fleet 80 fins effective 2025 (1 year early).

Minimum block hours reflecting full utilization of fleet.

50% AC flow with reserved seniority numbers coinciding with eligible PIT course if Jazz requires hold back for operational integrity. No Jazz Pilot can flow with less than 24 months of service. Maximum holdback duration is the aforementioned 24 month service time at Jazz or 12 months from eligible PIT course.

The competition facing Jazz for pilot labour is WestJet, Transat, Porter, Sunwing, Flair, Morningstar, CargoJet, Lynx, and others. An airline cannot be staffed exclusively with ab initio new-hire candidates. Experience has value. Recognize that and acknowledge it in your WAWCON.

Working together, AC and Jazz and ALPA/ACPA are capable of offering a career package that cannot be met by any other carrier. They just have to choose to do so.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Rudder, in your opinion, what is AC/Jazz management's end goal by holding out on wage increases to attract/keep pilot's ?

Is the current bleeding of staff, a management plan to purposely "shrink" Jazz down to the 80 tails earlier and repatriate more flying to AC, because their inaction to fixing the pay issue is rather puzzling.

Gravity always wins
kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

The likelihood of having such a dramatic increase in wawcon is close to none...
I wish it were true though!
That said, they also need a way to attract people to the left seat, especially those having the hours but are unwilling to pay for the commute and the hotel before a pairing.

Good luck to the NC!

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:21 am Rudder, in your opinion, what is AC/Jazz management's end goal by holding out on wage increases to attract/keep pilot's ?

Is the current bleeding of staff, a management plan to purposely "shrink" Jazz down to the 80 tails earlier and repatriate more flying to AC, because their inaction to fixing the pay issue is rather puzzling.
They don't have a choice! Anything less will be voted down, and won't do anything to attract people.

We need to stop thinking small and simply refuse to accept anything but a massive rework of our working conditions. Reject anything else and let then shrink Jazz to zero.

There is absolutely no reason our pay scale can't cap out around 200 an hour. Zero!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

kiaszceski wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:21 am The likelihood of having such a dramatic increase in wawcon is close to none...
I wish it were true though!
That said, they also need a way to attract people to the left seat, especially those having the hours but are unwilling to pay for the commute and the hotel before a pairing.

Good luck to the NC!
Wishful thinking? 100% yes.

But there is an existential problem at Jazz in both retaining and attracting qualified pilots. Waiting out the problem no longer seems to be a realistic strategy. Shrinking the airline is also not going to be an effective response unless the goal is ultimately to shrink it by 50% or more.

Ergo, the parties continue to meet to try to come up with a viable solution.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

rudder wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:54 am

FO

1. 67
2. 77
3. 80
4. 83
5. 87
6. 90
7. 93
8. 97
9. 100
10. 103

CA

1. 110
2. 115
3. 120
4. 125
5. 130
6. 135
7. 140
8. 145
9. 150
10. 155
11. 160
12. 165

Straight time to 85. Time and a half 85-95. Double time over 95. All WDO double time.

Max 16 work days per bid month, including RSV. Exception for initial type course.

Min daily credit 5. No 2 day pairing less than 10. No 3 day less than 15. No 4 day less than 20.

Pilot pays STD premium only (to preserve tax free status). STD duration day 31-180. LTD day 181+. No LTD benefit payable beyond 6 years. Employer pays all other benefit premiums.

DC matching starts at 6%. Increases 1% every 2 years of service until employee contributions reaches 8%. Thereafter employer match increases 1% every year until a maximum of 10% is reached. Therefore 8/10 match reached at year 7.

50% AC flow with reserved seniority numbers coinciding with eligible PIT course if Jazz requires hold back for operational integrity. No Jazz Pilot can flow with less than 24 months of service. Maximum holdback duration is the aforementioned 24 month service time at Jazz or 12 months from eligible PIT course.

The competition facing Jazz for pilot labour is WestJet, Transat, Porter, Sunwing, Flair, Morningstar, CargoJet, Lynx, and others. An airline cannot be staffed exclusively with ab initio new-hire candidates. Experience has value. Recognize that and acknowledge it in your WAWCON.

Working together, AC and Jazz and ALPA/ACPA are capable of offering a career package that cannot be met by any other carrier. They just have to choose to do so.
I like it but this is ambitious.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:21 am Rudder, in your opinion, what is AC/Jazz management's end goal by holding out on wage increases to attract/keep pilot's ?

Jazz is getting smaller. It is happening now and it will happen sooner rather than later.

Much Express flying is and will continue to be replaced by both mainline (A220/Rouge) and by UA via the AC/UA alliance.

Under current WAWCON and considering professional alternatives, retaining and attracting qualified pilots to Jazz will continue to be a negative trend. Therefore, if no action taken then Jazz will have to advise AC that meeting CPA obligations may not be possible (already referenced in the AC 2022 MD&A).

So either Jazz shrinks rapidly with a fleet plan and block hour commitment based on <1000 pilots, or it improves WAWCON and career progression to sustain a pilot force of greater than 1000 pilots.

Life is about choices. Each individual Jazz pilot has choices to make. And so does the employer.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

FO

1. 67
2. 77
3. 80
4. 83
5. 87
6. 90
7. 93
8. 97
9. 100
10. 103

CA

1. 110
2. 115
3. 120
4. 125
5. 130
6. 135
7. 140
8. 145
9. 150
10. 155
11. 160
12. 165

Can someone please forward this to the union.

I would like for this to become reality. 😆

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

If Claude f@%KS this up I vote for his immediate retirment and to be replaced with Rudder

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Malfunction wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:47 am

FO

1. 67
2. 77
3. 80
4. 83
5. 87
6. 90
7. 93
8. 97
9. 100
10. 103

CA

1. 110
2. 115
3. 120
4. 125
5. 130
6. 135
7. 140
8. 145
9. 150
10. 155
11. 160
12. 165

Can someone please forward this to the union.

I would like for this to become reality. 😆
Send it to Claude to see what he says 8)

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”